Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I sold a card to a soldier in Iraq. UPDATE: His address and want list posted

2»

Comments

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In January, a soldier stationed in Afghanistan won my ebay auction for a Bob Griese rookie card graded PSA 9.

When I saw his address, I figured I'd send him something in addition to the card. I emailed him and asked if there was something I could send him - basically what did he need or what would he like and he said they can't get peanut brittle there.

So, I figured gee peanut brittle. Well, the least I could do was send him some peanut brittle - so I went online found this company in California (See's Candies) that supposedly has some of the best anywhere.

We'll, I shipped him his card and sent a note to expect something later. I ordered 5 lbs. of Peanut Brittle from See's Candies and about 2 1/2 months later I got the nicest email from the soldier thanking me and telling me how much everyone enjoyed the peanut brittle. >>

That's a great story. See's definitely has some tasty peanut brittle, not to mention chocolate truffles. image

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    At few months back I had one Major David Underwood win a couple of my auctions.

Major Underwood is a disabled veteran from the Iraqi theater and does a lot of work with one of my favorite charities, Wounded Warrior Project, so I immediately recognized his name and told him the items were on me.

I am not sure how many of our other Wounded Warriors may collect, but if there is enough interest, I would be happy to inquire with the Major to see if we could get a list of names and collecting interests for the board to give some small thanks for the tremendous sacrifices they made for their country.

By the way, those interested in sending active duty members care packages, check out the Operation Shoebox website where you can find a list of troops most requested items, sign up for a penpal, learn how to donate to Iraqi children (they even request Beanie Babies), and much more.

Snorto~

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    My eldest did 2 tours of Afghanistan as a Marine, he's was in the weapons division as a mortarman.
    My youngest is currently in the Army Airborne and did a 15 1/2 month tour of Iraq as a machine gunner.
    The packages we sent them from home had toletries in them, that's what they needed most, deodorant,
    tissues, disposable razors, toothpaste etc... Both said they seemed to run low until provisions arrived
    which was sporadic at best. We also added some conforts of home like magazines, candy & such...jay
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I get permission to post his address, I will!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    From personal experience the things that were most cherished in care packages aside from toiletries were baby wipes, junk food like beef jerky and hard candy like cream savers
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Noble gestures all.

Thanks to everyone -- here and there.

I'll be looking to see if there's any '71s I can donate...
  • Options
    Hi Snorto,

It is indeed a great charity. I play in a golf tournament every year for The Wounded Warriors. It is my favorite golf tournament. The guys are absolutely amazing, and a special day for all.

Brian
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome thread. I don't have any cards to throw in but would add a few bucks to the purchase pile if there is one. >>

agreed

RB, let me know if i can add something......i can send some junk boxes, i think that is a great idea as well

hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Just one additional note that may help some of you guys. Right now my local post office is sending packages to soldiers FREE OF CHARGE! The reason they can doing it is because our local VFW has donated the funds to underwrite this great idea. So go check out your local post office to see if they have a similar program in place. If they do, put together a care package!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Update: here are the 71's he needs to complete his set, either in PSA 7 or 8. Can this board git 'er done?

1971 list: 5, 12, 100, 132, 198, 199, 220, 237, 250, 261, 276, 337, 363, 384, 390, 434, 437, 513, 529, 531, 539, 559, 573, 577, 581, 596, 600, 630, 634, 635, 649, 659, 664, 669, 672, 693, 697, 702, 704, 709, 731, 743, 745, 750, 751.

He's also looking for 1980-83 and 1985 Topps sets, and a 68 Mantle and Ryan RC.

Address:

Staff Sgt Kenneth M. Walker
    United States Army
    Headquarters and Headquarters Company
    224th Sustainment Brigade
    COB Adder, Iraq
    API, AE 09331
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Ron,
    When you say 85 Topps set, is that Football or Baseball or both? I have some 9's in 85 Football I can send him.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Beisbol
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    RB scratch 100 off his list
    just pulled the trigger on that on in a 7

If any one wants to get something for this fine serviceman,
    We all should make sure we are not bidding against each other
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Jmhockey23Jmhockey23 Posts: 652 ✭✭
    I'm willing to pick up a couple of those 71s. Would it be easier/more cost effective to send the cards to someone and then send them as a package? I know one person mentioned their post office wasn't charging shipping to send to service members. I'm unsure about mine, but also I think it would be easier for him to get one package instead of 100? Just a thought. Anyone up for this?

Justin
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    A soldier would love more packages. I used to love packages coming in when I was in Iraq. I really loved reading the letters from people I didn't know.

Mickey71
  • Options

<< <i>A soldier would love more packages. I used to love packages coming in when I was in Iraq. I really loved reading the letters from people I didn't know.

Mickey71 >>

i was thinking the same. the more packages the better.
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    I am taking my 11 year old daughter and my 9 year old son to the store to put together a package of goodies for him. I think if he gets a lot of the same goodies he will share with other soldiers.

Someone else said, and I agree, we should mention the PSA message board in our letter with the package. Thanks for getting this started Ron, and thanks again to Eagles for his generosity which got the ball rolling.

I think I will add some graded 1950 Callahan cards since I do not have any of the cards on his list.

1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options

<< <i>A soldier would love more packages. I used to love packages coming in when I was in Iraq. I really loved reading the letters from people I didn't know.

Mickey71 >>

Fair enough. Lets pepper this guy with letters!

I just picked up #337 and #573

Ed Kranepool and Jesus Alou are headed overseas!

• Options
    Update: here are the 71's he needs to complete his set, either in PSA 7 or 8. Can this board git 'er done?

1971 list: 5, 12, , 132, 198, 199, 220, 237, 250, 261, 276, 363, 384, 390, 434, 437, 513, 529, 531, 539, 559, 577, 581, 596, 600, 630, 634, 635, 649, 659, 664, 669, 672, 693, 697, 702, 704, 709, 731, 743, 745, 750, 751.

took off the 3 cards memebers have claimed
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is an Ebay search for the cards he needs. I couldn't add #5 to the list because it pulled up every card with a 1/2 grade. Maybe some of the guys could pitch in together to get the more expensive cards like the Mays and Clemente.
    James

197 Topps PSA 7&8
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I will most definitely send him whatever I can find!

Thanks for the addy!
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Well the 71 rose i purcheased arrived today
    i feel it works well for a 7/8 set, bit OC but great dark borders, hope
    Staff Sgt Kenneth M. Walker enjoys it.

2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Jesus and Ed came in the mail today as well. Off to the middle east they go!!

• Options
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Just purchased #437 in PSA 8 off the bay for our soldier.
  • Options
    ttt
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cards being sent over - super gesture!

If anyone read Jay's post - aka Qualitycards about his sons...

I was over in Saudi during Desert Storm - and there's nothing more comforting than a nice box of homemade cookies - to share with your buds.

PS: wish they had ebay when I was in Saudi!
    Mike
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    After I made my first post about refunding the soldiers money i kinda felt stupid and thought i should have just pmed Ron because there was really no need to make it public. I certainly didn't want anyone to thank me or anything. After seeing the way the way this snowballed.. i'm really fired up and happy how everyone is contributing to show their thanks. I just meant to do something pretty small as just to let him know we at home appreciate what our troops are doing for our country. I really want to thank everyone for taking this a step further. No one is pro war and not everyone agrees with US foreign policy, but I do feel that everyone should appreciate and support the men and women protect and serve our great country. Thanks again everyone... very cool.. especially the guys going out and buying some of the cards just to send.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    Bump because I want this to continue.
  • Options
    Got a response! Very cool!!

"Good morning Justin,

I have to say I was very surprised, and a little confused when I recieved your package this morning her ein Iraq, I opened it, read your letter and after looking at my items thru Ebay I bought towards my set I then realized what I was holding in my hand...I sit here totally in awe towards your generosity and with just about 35 cards left these were two that I needed...this was very cool!!

I started my PSA set of 71's ( I have 3 complete binder sets back home ) last year and have become quite obsessed with completing it. I have a young son who collects but this is the cornerstone of my collection and will be given to him once he is old enough to appreciate the time and effort I have taken to complete it in a decent grade..I placed it on the PSA site mainly to gauge it against the rest of the sets and have watched it move up the Finest ladder....

I still need a few, as you might have seen I wanted to get the high dollar cards out of the way but it did not work that way, but its fun and my job here in Iraq allowes me to continue accumulating what I need but the bad thing is Ebay hours are 10 hours behind so when it is 6am here it is 8 pm the previous night back in California where I am from.....and collecting the cards takes away the lonliness of missing my wife and children.

Again I am grateful, appreciative, and blessed to know there are fine Americans back home that think of us, that respect us, knowing our political leaders sent us here we didnt ask to go.the generosity, the care packages, the kindness of people like you make serving and wearing the uniform of the United States military the highlight of my life ( well except meeting my wife and the births of my kids)

Thank you Justin, feel free to keep in touch and if there is a token of appreciation I can send you like a shirt or something please let me know.......and send my best to your family as well.this was a very nice surprise indeed!!

Have a wonderful day and weekend.....

Most Respectfully,

SSG (P) Kenneth M Walker"

• Options
    Awesome reply. Let's keep working to help him finish his set!
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well done Justin, you should be very proud.
  • Options
    Passing along this message from Ken.

"Good evening Justin,

I am sitting here at my battle desk and was skimming over the PSA message boards and found the post that a lot of people seem to now know about......sadly I am either having a brain cramp or the site wont allow me to post my own messages ( I keep getting a "invalid log in message" so maybe you can cut and paste this fr everyone on the message board can read on my behalf....it is the least that I can do..

I want to personally if that is politically correct thank each and everyone of you for your kindness and generosity, while it was not solicited I am just a collector like everyone else the nice words and assistance everyone wishes to share as far as my collecting goes cannot ever be expressed with simple thank you's, Over the last few days I have corresponded with some really nice people, some I have done business with over the past few months and some new friends who have surprised me with cards I was never expecting. I feel I am giving a awards speech here haha but to Matt, Justin, Greg, and Hank words cannot say how grateful I am for your help..and to everyone else here I am extremely proud to serve you all, I was part of the team who assisted the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division ( I heard it made the news back in the states) roll out of Iraq and home bound just this past week as Operation Iraqi Freedom went into history and now we start Operation New Dawn..

I know this is a long message, once I figure out the log in process on the message board I would like to join in and share stories and its my personal pledge to help other collectors just as some of you have done for me.....I look at my set, alot has gone into it, it is something I am very proud of, with combat missions, college courses, Skyping my family back home and collecting my set my time is filled up with gratitude and honor.....thank you all for being like a second family....Many say they are proud of me...well I am proud of everyone here....

Most Respectfully,

Kenneth Walker"
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    its really great hearing his responses. Even better news the troops are on their way home
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here