Home Sports Talk
Options

Job Search: Video Production/Design/Marketing

AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
Hi Guys
I just graduated as some of you may know. Monster.com, jobsinsports.com, etc are great in theory, but they get so many applicants, it's hard to even get a callback. My network is decent, but (as always) could be better, so here I am. My major was Interdisciplinary Studies with emphasis in Communication (where I focused on video production), English, and Business. My internship was with the Univ. of Missouri softball team as Director of Video Operations. I'm looking for a job in Video Production, Marketing, or Graphic Design. Some of you might find it odd that I am posting this on here, but I've 'known' most of you for a long time, digitally at least, and I'm sure many of you are professionals, perhaps in the fields I'm interested in entering, so I thought I'd give posting this a shot. I am (very much) willing to relocate. So, if anyone is looking for, or knows of an opportunity for a graduate, let me know.

thanks
John Barnes
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for the advice.
    John

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been involved in the world of business for many years, and could offer specific advice depending on the situation and circumstances...but I think the best advice I could give or anyone could give is this - Make finding a job your full time job.

Repeat: Make finding a job your full time job. Naturally if you have part time work you would need to do that first...but other than that, say if you're not working at all, then you need to spend at least 8 hours a day looking for work, doing everything possible and whatever it takes.

You should be lining up as a goal at least two interviews per day, in the morning and afternoon, even if the job interview isn't precisely what you are looking for. Remember you don't have to accept any job offer, but what does happen from taking lots of interviews is you get good at taking interviews, and in a tight job market like this, the distiguishing factor that could separate you from the other applicants is that you came off well in the interview. Most employees get hired because of a good interview and not necessarily from a good resume.

I presume you've read those "How to Find a Job" books and articles, but one last thing that works but I rarely see it mentioned...for the jobs you are interested in...type, sign, and snail mail a brief "thank you letter" thanking the person who did the interview and stating in your own words in a tactful way that you would really enjoy working for that company. My first "real job" I got out of college had a ton of applicants, and on my second interview my future boss had a stack of resumes on his desk, but only one thank you letter...which of course was from me.

Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>I have been involved in the world of business for many years, and could offer specific advice depending on the situation and circumstances...but I think the best advice I could give or anyone could give is this - Make finding a job your full time job.

Repeat: Make finding a job your full time job. Naturally if you have part time work you would need to do that first...but other than that, say if you're not working at all, then you need to spend at least 8 hours a day looking for work, doing everything possible and whatever it takes.

You should be lining up as a goal at least two interviews per day, in the morning and afternoon, even if the job interview isn't precisely what you are looking for. Remember you don't have to accept any job offer, but what does happen from taking lots of interviews is you get good at taking interviews, and in a tight job market like this, the distiguishing factor that could separate you from the other applicants is that you came off well in the interview. Most employees get hired because of a good interview and not necessarily from a good resume.

I presume you've read those "How to Find a Job" books and articles, but one last thing that works but I rarely see it mentioned...for the jobs you are interested in...type, sign, and snail mail a brief "thank you letter" thanking the person who did the interview and stating in your own words in a tactful way that you would really enjoy working for that company. My first "real job" I got out of college had a ton of applicants, and on my second interview my future boss had a stack of resumes on his desk, but only one thank you letter...which of course was from me.

Good luck! >>

What he said, and good luck. And also, it's real bad out there for many, don't get discouraged if things don't go your way.
    We live in a world where everybody wants everything RIGHT NOW. You know fast food, fast cars, fast girls, etc. etc.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As an employer I review resumes from time to time. In my opinion, you have got to be near perfect in your presentation. If I see a typo I generally stop and delete right there. Too many resumes to sift through so am looking for ways to cut them down. Customize your cover letter for the job, triple check your resume for applicability to the job, come up with any possible real world experience you can put on your resume, and then do someting above and beyond. Maybe drop the resume off in person with an extremely professional cover letter that states at the top "DELIVERED PERSONALLY" or something like that. Include a baseball card of you with your resume "stats" on the back. Send with a video about you. I don't know but you have got to do something that differentiates you from the masses. GOOD LUCK!

P.S. Again, triple check for typos, punctuation, applicability to the job, re-read the job posting to make sure you answer exactly what they ask, etc....
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 2 cents...

Do not overlook opportunities in the Federal Government. They are always in need of TSA employees nationwide and the starting pay is right at $30k. Clearly, the Government is involved with just about everything, just takes research to find your niche.

As a former Air Traffic Controller, I would not overlook a possibility here. Should you persue this avenue, any book store (B Dalton, Books a Million, etc, even Amazon) should provide you a book to bone up on the ATC exam. It is a rewarding job, extremely challenging and the pay scale goes up rapidly as you progress. Those who work in venues like Atlanta, Boston, LA, etc, earn well in excess of 6 figures. It ain't easy at first because you get a ton of stuff thrown at you, but one day all the pieces fit. If you survive the seemingly never-ending training, you will have a nice job with benefits, that ensure a very nice pension. If you live near a smaller airport that has a Control Tower, I would suggest a phone call to the Facility Chief and ask for an appointment to discuss the possibilities further. If you're lucky, you'll get a decent person on the other end that may well provide you with enough info to either move on, or give it a shot.

The above might not fall within your major, but in today's market, I would not overlook any opportunity.

I can tell you this...from personal experience...retiring from the Federal Government will provide you a very comfortable life style. I assure you, you will get older, and if you haven't provided for your retirement, you will be in a major bind. I used to complain a lot when I worked, mostly because of incompetent management, but I got past all that and did my time. Think long-term, plan wisely and most of all GL to you in your search.

DON'T sit on your butt day in and day out, get a plan and stick to it. Everyone above me gave you excellent advice.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. It should be as easy as graduate then a job drops right in your lap, however, that doesn't seem to be the case. Onward and upward!
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    MCMLVTopps is so right about a Federal (or state) job. Benefits are so easy to underestimate until you are older. Jobs with life time pensions, like fire, police, teachers, state, fed, etc... are worth much more than the income that shows up on your 1040 each year. It's huge! Much easier to realize how beneficial it is as you get older. I met with a client the other day who worked his way up in a quasi governmental agency (a utility company). He is now retired, at a relatively young age, and has a pension of nearly $30k. Oh ya, that's a MONTH. Like I said, he worked his way up the utility to the very top and few people do that but point is there is room for advancement in these large agencies!
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick additional thought...

Should you decide to persue the ATC exam, you will be at a slight disadvantage. All verterans (who have served honorably) are given 5 points at the git go. If you have specific disabilites as a Vet, you get 10 points. The exam is a 100 point test, thus the emphasis to "bone up" with as much material ahead of time. This exam is the first phase of entry into a very exciting profession. IOW, if you get a 95 legit, and the vet sitting next to you also gets a 95, he in essence has aced the exam with a 100 final grade with the bump.

While you are young, if your heart is set in your bachelor's major, I would suggest going on to a Master's in that field. This of course assumes funds, housing, blah, blah are available to you.

When you do find a job, it is IMPERATIVE that you get into the habit of saving at least 10% of every paycheck from day one. Get smart about the market, or know someone that is, a solid growth mutual fund would not be a bad place to park your money. Always, always, ALWAYS put enough into your company's 401k program to get the matching funds...also known as free money. I will never meet you, but I can promise you, as time marches on in your life and your numbers grow, you will be a very, very happy person to know you have a nice nest egg building. Should you one day find yourself as having had enough and can retire, these funds may well make the difference between staying and going. My wife is a Flight Attendant with Delta...I remember her very first quarterly statement. It was barely $200.00, along the way, she increased her savings and has for many years put 28% of each check into her 401k. Her 401k is now well into 6 figures, the first number is 2, and she is close to 24 years with Delta.

I sincerely wish you well. BTW, retirement is wonderful!!!
  • Options
    I agree with him above. 401k max is essential at all times. If you can do 10% do that too. Start young because it's much harder to catch up later. MUCH.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Check with your professors if they know of anything; they are generally in touch with others in the community in the same line of work. And when I say "anything" I mean ANYTHING. It might just be odd projects here and there for companies but you never know which one could get your foot in the door.

In that line of work I would be hounding the TV stations in your area. Other sugggestions I would have is to contact businesses that are "off the beaten path" like nursing homes, schools, churches, etc. Heck, maybe even your local police or fire need some PSA (Public Service Announcement) work.