Home Precious Metals
Options

Do you guys who buy bars weigh them on a routine basis?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, how does their weights compared to what's marked on the bars? I would guess the old poured bars were very slightly overweight since silver was cheap back then and it was easier to give away very tiny amount silver compared to the labor involved in precisely adjusting the weight to the designed weight.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a whim, not as a rule. The poured Engelhard 10 oz bars always seem to be several grams on the heavy side. One of the reasons I like 'em so much image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not as a rule. if i got doubt about the dealer theni weigh it there (usally i dont do business with questionable dealers either, so that takes care of that as well)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a rule no, but we reserve the right to do so if we feel it necessary.
    The only things I routine weigh are those "Half Pound" and "One pound" silver eagle or similar reproductions. I have seen the "half pound" weigh either six troy ounces, eight avoidupois ounces or eight troy ounces.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a rule no, but we reserve the right to do so if we feel it necessary.
    The only things I routine weigh are those "Half Pound" and "One pound" silver eagle or similar reproductions. I have seen the "half pound" weigh either six troy ounces, eight avoidupois ounces or eight troy ounces.

TD >>

Wow! Big difference in value there. I imagine that you weigh the gold bars more often than the silver bars.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only the odd weights. It's easy to tell a one ounce pure bar by heft.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.