Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Well... it FINALLY happened!

... I thought I may never get a chance to meet my favorite player of all time... but I finally get a chance!

The wife and I went to the game Saturday night. It happened to be Reds Hall of Fame Induction Night, Chris was one of three to be inducted.
It also happened to be Chris Sabo bobble-head night too! (BONUS!)

We got the game a few hours early, so just to kill time we decided to hit the Reds Hall of Fame Museum. The Cost.... $10/ea.
We had NO IDEA there would be actual players in the building.

We were in the building for about 5 minutes when Joe Morgan came in from the stadium... and my jaw about fell off! I tried to 'act normal' when gesturing to my wife to TAKE A PICTURE!
I didn't want to look/sound like a 'tard, but it was Joe Freakin' Morgan 6 inches from me! SWEET!

We went into a "theater" on the first floor only to find a few Reds Hall of Famers do a "Meet and Great." Among the four players were Mario Soto, and George Foster. I was ecstatic to have a chance to just meet a player, so we waited in line. George was HILARIOUS! He kept crackin' jokes the whole time! We were in line waiting for about 20 minutes when we heard another person in line mention Chris Sabo was in the building. We then learned it was "somewhere else" upstairs. Needlesstosay, we bolted upstairs!

We got upstairs and found a LARGE crowd waiting in line for something... but what? We walked to the front to check it out... no wonder! Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench!... but no Sabo.
We pushed on... into another large room, and that's when I found Pedro Borbon and Chris Sabo!

I immediately got in line, and it took maybe 15 minutes to make it to them. Honestly, I only know Pedro's name from cards... but never watched him play.
BUT.... Chris Sabo! Man... you couldn't get that smile off my face for anything!

It was quick, it was brief... but MAN! I can now say I've had a chance to meet Chris. He was VERY nice, and acted humbled to be there. I shook his hand twice... and did my best not to act like a little girl.

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

Comments

• Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    Sweeet ! Congratulations Russ, I am sure you were ecstatic !

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Good for you. Sounds like it was a great time.

I must say, though, that I'm a bit disenchanted by the picture. Whenever I read someone's post I get a mental picture of what he or she must look like. When I read yours I always envision someone the spitting image of Spuds himself. Not that you're a bad-looking bloke by any means. image
    Brett
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    That's awesome! Congrats!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Good for you. Sounds like it was a great time.

I must say, though, that I'm a bit disenchanted by the picture. Whenever I read someone's post I get a mental picture of what he or she must look like. When I read yours I always envision someone the spitting image of Spuds himself. Not that you're a bad-looking bloke by any means. image >>

Most definitely. I always think of Nick as Captain Kirk

Really happy to see it was a good experience!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    congrats. i remember eating lunch with you and your wife at the national in chicago a few years ago (set registry luncheon). glad you could finally meet him. did you mention your collection at all?

glad to hear you didnt pee your pants like a school girl.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time
    Did you tell him about your collection?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    very cool Russ. image
  • Options
    I was there! Got to meet and greet with a few guys including Chris. I actually met him a few weeks earlier at my local Kroger, he signed autos for free so I got a bunch of stuff signed. Well it was all good till I went to enter the stadium and slipped. I think I hyperextended my knee so it was rough from there on out. I got a call today from the vp of operations who was standing there when I fell. He sais pick a game and they will take care of me.
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • Options
    ToroToro Posts: 1,515
    Congrats, you must have had goose bumps meeting him, actually it looks like more than that with the way your hands are positioned. image I really pictured you with our arms around him and one of your legs wrapped around his waist. HAHA! Hey, when I meet Bo Jackson, I'll give it a shot!
  • Options
    gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159
    Awesome, Russ. I'm happy you were able to meet him! I'm sure it's a memory that will never fade. Congrats!
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    I miss his rec specs.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome man, I'm glad you stayed upright! I hope I can do the same next month when I try to get Ripken's auto. image
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    did you tell him about your cards? in the pic it looks like you are trying to hold down your erection image awesome story and congrats, chance meetings like that are usually the best.
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 609 ✭✭✭
    Which one in the picture is Chris Sabo?
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!

You need to get some of these now, and get PSA to slab one for you:

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Whoops, realized I didn't give you the website for the custom cards if you wanted to make some. I've used them a couple of times and they do a good job.

It is:

Topps Custom Cards
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭
    Great story! Nice to see a true fan get his brief meeting
    with the player/artist/whoever he admires.

This is my favorite part:

<< <i> Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench!... but no Sabo.
    We pushed on... >>

image Morgan & Bench! *sigh* no Sabo.
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    WoW! What a thrill that must've been.

Congrats! What's left on your "bucket list"?! That had to be towards the top...
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    That's awesome
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Congrats - great story!!

• Options
    That's great.
    Thanks for your help everyone.
  • Options
    onefasttalononefasttalon Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody!

I didn't mention my collection... there just wasn't much time. Also, I didn't want to scare the poor guy!
    I've been told from other encounters, that he doesn't know much about his baseball cards, nor does he care... so I seriously doubt my collection would impress him much.

Mike... that's a cool card! I'll have to check out that website and make a few more! Awesome, thanks!

btw guys... I picked up another white whale last night on the 'Bay.... a PSA 10 '91 Topps Desert Shield Sabo! It's a Pop2, but this one was the 1st.

I put together a thread a couple years ago with pics of my collection... and I plan on putting together a new one soon with updated pics/additions. STAY TUNED!

ALWAYS Looking for Chris Sabo cards!

• Options
    Cool story Russ.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Cool beans.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Russ, That is awesome. Does he have any idea that you have the collection centered around him that you do? We going to see you in Baltimore in a couple weeks?
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Congrats!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, Great Story!! Did you sign your jersey?
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    great story, Russ - glad you got a chance to meet him.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome story.

Just one question - did you have a "thrill running up your leg" ala Chris Matthews gushing about Obama? image

Shane

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Awesome -- hopefully you can get that picture blown up and signed by Chris to you!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool..................I was at the game also. It's first Reds game i've been to in probably 10 years (first since RIverfront stadium)

I thought of you when i was handed the bobbleheads.....LOL....

I had no idea it was HOF night until I got there, but it was a great experience seeing the players I idolized when growing up. I saw Eric Davis, Johnny Bench, Mario Soto, George Foster, and of course Sabo.....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    onefasttalon, I'll give you this poster if you want it. It's from the February 1989 Baseball Card Price Guide Monthly.

• Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Great story -- I know how you felt -- thanks for sharing
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome story.

Just one question - did you have a "thrill running up your leg" ala Chris Matthews gushing about Obama? image >>

I tell you, if I get that feeling from standing next to somebody, that somebody better be Jessica Alba image

Tabe
  • Options
    Happy for you that you were able to meet him. Congrats! That's very cool.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    Awesome story - thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    relaxedrelaxed Posts: 569
    Awesome story - To think that if you had just arrived at the ball park just in time for the game what you would of missed.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks everybody!

I didn't mention my collection... there just wasn't much time. Also, I didn't want to scare the poor guy!
    I've been told from other encounters, that he doesn't know much about his baseball cards, nor does he care... so I seriously doubt my collection would impress him much.
    >>

Great story, thanks for sharing, and congrats!!! I was thinking about your collection as I read the story. Thank God you didn't have time to show Mr Sabo some pics. LOL He might have ran away....j/k

brian
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench!... but no Sabo. We pushed on... >>

That's just so full of awesomeness, I honestly don't know what to say.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options