Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tony Gonzalez 1/1 Collection

To fans living here in Kansas that make the annual trip to Arrowhead to set in the cheap seats in the top corner of the stadium, freezing in late Nov., and pretty much following a team after one losing season after another...Tony Gonzalez has been a bright spot.

The quarterbacks came and went. The running backs stayed around each long enough to make a name. Can't recall if KC even started receivers much of the last decade. Through it all, there was Gonzo. He is now of course with the Atlanta Falcons, but Gonzalez, will always remain a Chief.

He also happens to fill the space from Steve Young's retirement till now, as far as sports cards go, and likewise has become my second strongest PC.

One of my favorite things as it becomes football season, is well football, and football cards. In the next couple months the new products will find their way to shelfs. eBay football card auctions will be in full swing and among them, every couple weeks, should be another Gonzo 1/1.

The following I have acquired over the last year. I don't ever seem to win any of the nicer auto or GU Tony Gonzalez 1/1's. The majority of the others I do seem to win as they really have little value and I appear to be willing to bid too much. As I get more Gonzo 1/1's I will continue to update this thread...but I don't forsee that happening too often. Although, I do currently have two more on the way and will update the thread after both arrive.

#1..."You may find yourself living in a shotgun shack"
imageimage

#2..."You may find yourself in another part of the world"
imageimage

#3..."You may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile"
imageimage

#4..."You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful wife."
imageimage

#5..."You may ask yourself: well... how did I get here?"
imageimage

#6..."Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down"
imageimage

#7..."Letting the days go by, water flowing underground"
imageimage

#8..."Into the blue again, after the money's gone"
imageimage

#9..."Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground"
imageimage

#10..."You may ask yourself"
imageimage

#11..."How do I work this?"
imageimage

#12..."You may ask yourself"
imageimage

#13..."Where is that large automobile?"
imageimage

#14..."You may tell yourself"
imageimage

#15..."This is not my beautiful house!"
imageimage

#16..."You may tell yourself"
imageimage

#17..."This is not my beautiful wife!"
imageimage

#18..."Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down"
imageimage

Now, who said 1/1's are not cool? image

Clear Skies,
Mark
Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

Comments

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    incredible collection, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    SmuggoSmuggo Posts: 425
    Holy Gonzo Bataman! Very nice. We are glad to have him in ATL.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super group Mark!

I'm kind of confused about the plates - some are postives and some are negatives - I'm basing it on the direction of the writing.

A plate that one can read (not backwards) would be done by "offset" - i.e. - the ink goes on the plate - is transferred to a roller - now backwards - and 'then' onto the cardboard - now right side up.

The chrome plates are already backwards - so if it went onto a roller and then cardboard - would be backwards - the "chrome" process must be different.
    Mike
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Can't recall if KC even started receivers much of the last decade.

I think Sylvester Morris and Snoop Minnis both have a chance to be great.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    The two new ones arrived today. A Topps Chrome printing plate that goes with the superefractor and one of the dozen or so 2009 Topps Unique Gonzo 1/1's. When I first picked up a couple I thought it would be cool to try to get 10 different. Now, I have the impossible goal of 88 different 1/1. But since I found 20 in one year and they likely will make over 100 this year alone...guess it is possible. Hopefully, he plays a couple more years as well.

#19...Letting the days go by/water flowing underground"
    imageimage

#20..."Into the blue again, after the money's gone"
    imageimage
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Super group Mark!

I'm kind of confused about the plates - some are postives and some are negatives - I'm basing it on the direction of the writing.

A plate that one can read (not backwards) would be done by "offset" - i.e. - the ink goes on the plate - is transferred to a roller - now backwards - and 'then' onto the cardboard - now right side up.

The chrome plates are already backwards - so if it went onto a roller and then cardboard - would be backwards - the "chrome" process must be different. >>

I think all cards are made by the offset process. The ones that are backwards likely just use an extra rollar. The other way to cheaply print the cards would be like newspapers...using water.

Then again...we are talking Topps image

Edit to add: Some cards, like Razor, are likely just made on the computer. I did say all cards above...when it is likely just 99.5%. Film is still 10x better in quality and will likely always be.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry this happened to you.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    jaderockjaderock Posts: 185 ✭✭
    Great 1/1 cards!
    Most complete single player collection: ULTIMATE MARK BRUNELL COLLECTION
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    too bad the condition of the borders on many are so poor.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    #21...Once in a lifetime, water flowing underground"
    imageimage

• Options
    I had no idea there were so many 1/1 cards out there. That's amazing to think one person can collect so many unique cards that nobody else will ever own. Nice work!
  • Options
    Pulled the first week of release. #22..."Same as it ever was"
    imageimage
  • Options
    #23. Same as it ever was.

imageimage
  • Options
    #24..."Same as it ever was"

imageimage

Note from auction of 2010 Topps Blank Bank, Topps Vault 1/1

"New from The Topps Vault: Official Topps Vault First Edition Football Cards. This exclusive offer available only through eBay features special blank back cards created for each base card from the 2010 Topps Football card set. This online-only promotion is limited to just one of each base card and unlike cards pulled from packs, these special one-of-one cards carry no text on the reverse.
    Each card bears the official Topps embossed seal and is shipped in a sturdy lucite card holder. The reverse of each card contains an official Topps serial numbered hologram. Each card is also hand-numbered 1/1 on the reverse. The only way for football fans to obtain these one-of-one 2010 Topps football blank back cards is by bidding in these exclusive Topps Vault/eBay auctions. So don't delay, place your winning bid today! A certificate of authenticity accompanies all Topps Vault auction lots."
  • Options
    I have added Talking Heads lyrics above., and will continue the song as I add cards. (Which means I need to figure out that one line no-one seems to know.)