Home Sports Talk

Now that Mr Steinbrenner is gone....

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
Can the Yankees PLEASE fire Michael Kay!!?? Only reason he got the job is cuz George liked him. I dont care if they continue to let him have "Centerstage", even though I think there are many who could do better than him there as well. But just get him out of that damn booth!!!

And even though Sterling is ok on the radio, I dont want to hear him on TV either. If Susan Waldron was to ever go in the booth again, I would watch the games on MUTE!!!

Comments

• GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    is he that bad?

• yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    For me, yes
    Let me put it this way....I'll listen to Joe Morgan over him. And that is BAD hahaha
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let me put it this way....I'll listen to Joe Morgan over him. And that is BAD hahaha >>

Joe Morgan, Buck, McCarver, I heard they were all going to take over for the Yankees. Hal and Hank LOVE them!

My gosh, shoot me now hahaha....I know thats not true image
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    It's amazing to me that the most celebrated franchise in baseball has THE WORST announcing crews on TV and radio, although I will say that Sterling would be OK if not for his obnoxious HR calls
  • Jdip, how do you feel about the sox team on NESN, Remy and Orsillo?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Wait a minute - I agree with a yankee fan? What is going on here? image

Michael Kay sucks. He is a joke of an announcer, and I'm not just saying that because of the team he works for. The other guys in the YES booth (I think its Singleton and Leiter) do a good job, but Kay just dumbs down the whole proceedings. He is constantly asking dumb questions (presumably to get the other guys to answer the questions for the benefit of the fans) but unless you started watching baseball yesterday, the answers are obvious. Plus, he is a homer of the worst kind, raving about routine ground balls that Jeter fields, while ignoring great plays by the opposition.

On the radio side, John Sterling is just a flat out clown. He's not really a professional broadcaster, he just tries to be funny with his dopey home run and game winning calls, while Suzyn Waldman plays the straight man (or woman). For a supposed big-time organization, the Yankees have the worst combo of radio-TV announcers in the business.

The best? You think I'm going to say the Red Sox, right? Well, while Remy and Orsillo are light years better than the Yankee buffoons, the best broadcasting team belongs to the Mets. Hands down, in fact. Cohen, Darling, and Hernandez on TV, and Howie Rose on the radio are the best I've heard.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭
    Is he the guy with the awful home run calls and nick names for players? It sounds so cheesey. Not what I expect from a big market team. It reminds me of my Sacramento King's god awful announcers Grant Nappier and Jerry Reynolds. They are so small time it's embarrasing.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    And even though Sterling is ok on the radio

I think you're throwing the term "ok" around a bit liberally. Sterling is just as bad. You'd think for a franchise that employed Bob Sheppard for all those years they'd want someone equally timeless and understated doing their broadcasts. Granted there are only so many Scully and Harwell types to go around, but they could find some poor man's version instead of employing those boorish English-killers. Or just throw some money at ESPN's Dan Shulman at least for the TV side.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The best radio pairing the Yankees have had since they broke up the Messer/White/Rizzuto group was Tommy Hutton and Hank Greenwald in the late 1980's.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>The best radio pairing the Yankees have had since they broke up the Messer/White/Rizzuto group was Tommy Hutton and Hank Greenwald in the late 1980's. >>

Scott ... M/W/R were GREAT! Gotta love it when White was looking for Phil in the top of the ninth and realized he was already on the GW Bridge!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting -- I always thought Kay was alright -- not spectacular, but not horrible -- he does not seem like that much of a homer to me. But I only watch YES during commercials on NESN, so I do not have a "full game" perspective that a Yankee fan has.

Sterling and Waldman are awful, but they provide great fodder for humor on WEEI sports talk (the Waldman sound bites on the arrival of Roger Clemens and of the departure of Joe Torre are classic!). Hearing Sterling say "A-Bomb from A-Rod" is 10 times worse than fingernails scratching a chalkboard.

The BEST I ever heard was Vin Scully. I hope he lives forever!
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having grown up listening to Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, and Red Barber call the Yankee games on my transistor radio, I'm kind of spoiled. These new guys don't even come close to the older generation!

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wrong sport, but Johnny Most was awesome.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I agree Michael Kay MUST GO. He is the worst announcer I ever heard. I hope when they can him they say to him "SEE YA"...

Joe Morgan is horrible and is BS I watched a Yankee game he announced on ESPN. He was talking BS on how he can't understand why people can't hit off Rivera and I quote "I don't understand why batters have such a hard time with this guy. You know what he going to do."

Well Mr. Morgan I would have loved to seen you face Mr. Rivera when you both were in your primes. I bet you would have just as much trouble and broken wood as all the other MLB player has had over the years...

IMO Sterling needs to stay on the radio. When I watch YES classics they dub him into the game along with Kay. Honestly its horrible most of the time. I rather listen to Sterling on the radio he is much better on radio then TV.

Far as Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. Buck got his break cause his daddy. He is horrible Baseball announcer but I think he is better when announcing Football. Either way I avoid him I personally don't like when he is in the booth. McCarver is horrible. I swear he is sauced every game I hear him announce. He makes announcing mistakes constantly and I haven't a clue why he is there...

Personally I rather have Scooter back in the booth he was the best IMO. I miss hearing him and was glad I got to hear him announce for the years I did. Holy Cow! R.I.P. Scooter.

Honestly the only people I can somewhat tolerate on YES is Al Leiter , David Cone, and Paul O' Neil.