Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Another VDB Proof hits the market.....

robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
along with 5 other dynamite PCGS MPL's from a current "Retired" set. Not mine! Link

Comments

• ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Fine coins from a fine collector.
  • I like Stewart's discards even better. image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Stewart's discards even better. image >>

I'm a little partial to some of those myself.image
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Nice but 52k seems high. I see where Netherlands Coins has 1909 VDB proofs for $350 dollars and all the other dates including 1916's for $165 dollars each.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice but 52k seems high. I see where Netherlands Coins has 1909 VDB proofs for $350 dollars and all the other dates including 1916's for $165 dollars each.image >>

Mark,
    What do you mean by the above comment?
    Steveimage
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Steve- I was just making note that a big dealer is offering MPL's for 165 dollars each and 1909 vdb's for 300 hundred something. Yeah right.

Personally i think the spread of vdb's against the other dates is to gotten to large to fast in price comparision. If only 1 or 2 1909 VDB came on the market every 18 months probably not, but over the last year or so they do not seem hard to locate. Just moaning since i did not pull the trigger at under 20k now i will never be a buyer. Even if i was a buyer back when 20k would have bought one i would no longer own it do to the increase. It would have driven me to cash out. It is hard for me to explain that last comment to make sense to any one but myself. It is not the first time i have failed to act.image
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
    Mark and others,
    I agree with you that a large number of 1909VDB MPL's have hit the marketplace in the past year to year and ahalf. Almost all were in auctions and the prices realized have dropped somewhat from what they sold for two to three years ago. I still believe this is a rare Lincoln cent, less available than ANY other regular issued Lincoln. The fact that no dealer has had to advertise this coin for sale IN PRINT in the last five+ years speaks volumes for its rarity. Of course I am speaking ONLY for an example that is currently housed in a PCGS or NGC holder and that in itself limits the available coins to less than 150. While "maybe" five or ten others are still in ANACS holders, other slabbed or raw examples just will NOT be accepted by the hobby as genuine MPL's and therefore have VERY little value to a Lincoln cent collector. I also believe that over time the value of the 1909VDB MPL will continue to rise, not fall. This is because there are many more Lincoln collectors out there who would like the coin for their collection than there are coins available to buy. I believe most of the coins in PCGS and NGC slabs today are in the hands of collectors who want to keep this coin long term. Because of that, the average examples in PR64 cannot be gotten today for under $20k and even my lowest graded PR61RB would (I believe)sell for over $10k if I wanted to sell it. For over 30 years that I have monitored the prices of this coin I have never seen the price trend go down and I don't expect to see it happen in the future either. That's why I say to any collector who has dreamed of owning one, If you can afford to buy one at todays prices, do so. They will only continue to go up from here. JMHO. Steve image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last PCGS PR65 RB sold that I can remember went for $63k.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 09 VDB is the "Curly" example. This is the original image. The web site scales the image and reduces the sharpness slightly in the process.

A coin without flaws should be a 66RB right?

The 1909 VDB Proof was not released to collectors in a normal fashion. The entire mintage of 1,194 was struck in August 2, 1909. In a few days of the official release of regular issue cents, adverse media attention regarding the initials forced the Treasury Secretary only three days later to order the VDB removed. Millions of circulation issues were already released, but the Proofs that were already struck sat at the Mint.

It is assumed that most of the Proof mintage was destroyed because less than 400 are known today. The Proof sets of 1909 were issued in five-piece "silver" sets and two-piece "minor" sets throughout 1909. Sets made prior to August had the Indian Cent. Later sets had the non-VDB cents. How were these VDB Proofs distributed? They were not sold through regular channels. The coins that did manage to get out were likely parceled out to friends of the Mint who specifically requested them. The rest were destroyed.

All this contributes to a coin that has enormous numismatic importance. It was always known to be hard to find, but since the 1909 VDB business strike is so common, it has laid under the radar until the past decade. Here is a true calassic American Numismatic rarity.

Grade: 65
    Grading Service: PCGS
    PCGS Number: 3301
    Year: 1909 VDB

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Mark and others,
    I agree with you that a large number of 1909VDB MPL's have hit the marketplace in the past year to year and ahalf. Almost all were in auctions and the prices realized have dropped somewhat from what they sold for two to three years ago. I still believe this is a rare Lincoln cent, less available than ANY other regular issued Lincoln. The fact that no dealer has had to advertise this coin for sale IN PRINT in the last five+ years speaks volumes for its rarity. Of course I am speaking ONLY for an example that is currently housed in a PCGS or NGC holder and that in itself limits the available coins to less than 150. While "maybe" five or ten others are still in ANACS holders, other slabbed or raw examples just will NOT be accepted by the hobby as genuine MPL's and therefore have VERY little value to a Lincoln cent collector. I also believe that over time the value of the 1909VDB MPL will continue to rise, not fall. This is because there are many more Lincoln collectors out there who would like the coin for their collection than there are coins available to buy. I believe most of the coins in PCGS and NGC slabs today are in the hands of collectors who want to keep this coin long term. Because of that, the average examples in PR64 cannot be gotten today for under $20k and even my lowest graded PR61RB would (I believe)sell for over $10k if I wanted to sell it. For over 30 years that I have monitored the prices of this coin I have never seen the price trend go down and I don't expect to see it happen in the future either. That's why I say to any collector who has dreamed of owning one, If you can afford to buy one at todays prices, do so. They will only continue to go up from here. JMHO. Steve image >>

Steve, what time period constitutes a "price trend" in your book? I ask, because, you wrote "..... Almost all were in auctions and the prices realized have dropped somewhat from what they sold for two to three years ago." But you also wrote "For over 30 years that I have monitored the prices of this coin I have never seen the price trend go down and I don't expect to see it happen in the future either" Thanks.
    Mark,
    I admit the two statements are a bit contridictary. My intent was to state a fact that during the past couple of years, prices of the many 1909VDB MPL's that have gone to auction have generally produced lower prices for the grade than prior auction prices. However, when I think of the pricing of this coin over a 30 year period as a whole, I believe the trend has been up. There may be a couple of years when prices went down (like 2008-2010) but most years, especially in the last decade, prices went up. The confusion may be in my mind when I relate to a 2 or 3 year period and then relate to a 30 year period. Of course, this observation is from my memory and you may have FACTS that dispute this.
    Steveimage
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Mark,
    I admit the two statements are a bit contridictary. My intent was to state a fact that during the past couple of years, prices of the many 1909VDB MPL's that have gone to auction have generally produced lower prices for the grade than prior auction prices. However, when I think of the pricing of this coin over a 30 year period as a whole, I believe the trend has been up. There may be a couple of years when prices went down (like 2008-2010) but most years, especially in the last decade, prices went up. The confusion may be in my mind when I relate to a 2 or 3 year period and then relate to a 30 year period. Of course, this observation is from my memory and you may have FACTS that dispute this.
    Steveimage >>

Thanks, Steve. I don't study the price history of those coins to have an opinion. I was just curious about your view of trends, and I knew there was a way to reconcile your two statements.