Home Sports Talk

The sad, sad story of Chris Washburn

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the story of former NBA player, Chris Washburn. He was the 3rd pick in the 1986 Draft and had the potential to be a superstar.

Folks, this is what drugs does!

This is worth a read.

He said, “I was eating out of trash cans. I was sleeping in abandoned buildings, abandoned houses. I was doing whatever was needed to survive at that time,” he said. “I was staying in the same clothes for weeks, maybe months at a time to a point where the [drug dealers] I was buying my stuff from would even pay me to go and change clothes.”

On the bright side, he has been clean for 10 years now and tries to help other people.

Chris Washburn

Shane

Comments

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The way Washburn looked at it, he stood to lose less money in fines if he skipped practice altogether ($10,000) than if he showed up and the team realized he was high (as much as $20,000) >>

Crack head economics 101 right there.

Sad story.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and on the really bright side, he is doing far better than that year's number two pick.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and on the really bright side, he is doing far better than that year's number two pick. >>

Very true!

Shane

• GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    At least he has turned it around for the past ten years
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Nevermind.
  • Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    4 of the top 7 in the 1986 NBA draft suspended, jailed or dead because of drugs.
    Ed
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,219 ✭✭
    Very interesting article ... but so sad. Hope he stays clean.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea I've read up on the mid 80s NC State BKB Program (not sure what book it was)

He was a huge mess in college, burglary charge if I'm not mistaken... surprised he went #3, no way he was going to stay clean in the mid 80s as a #3 NBA pick.No chance.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    very good read.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2