Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

To grade or not to grade...

This is just a general question/dilemna as I prepare to send in a large submission to take advantage of the $4.50 July special. I plan on selling some of the cards once I receive them back from PSA. However, I sometimes wonder if it is worth getting certain cards graded (although for $4.50 it seems worth it). Here's one example of what I'm talking about:

I plan on submitting a Nolan Ryan 1975 Topps Mini #500. I am guessing it will get a 7. So, I look at completed sales on eBay to see what to expect. This PSA 7 sold for $60. This PSA 7 didn't sell for $40. This PSA 7 only got $25.

I'm fine with all of that. How eBay bidder psychology works is one of the great mysteries in life. Judging by the limited auctions, I figure the card will sell for around $40, +/- 20%. Well worth the $4.50 grading fee.

Here's the monkey wrench: I search for raw cards and find some that look fine, but are going for the same amount as graded cards. Who knows what grade they would get? Some examples: $28 for some horrible centering and $50 for a picture that leaves a lot to the imagination.

I guess I'm asking, wait, what am I asking? Why bother grading when I can get similar dollars for raw? Is this just a problem for cards in the sub-$100 range? Whenever I have sold raw cards in the past, I don't get top dollar. Maybe I'm too honest in my descriptions (I tend to say cards are worse than they are to protect myself against fickle buyers).

Sorry for the long post. I'm just getting back into collecting/selling/buying/grading and have a lot of thoughts running through my head.

Comments

• Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Keep in mind $4.50 per card is all well and good but unless you are sending it with other cards you are looking at another $20 in shipping fees. Do you have a scan of the card? You may be able to sell it here if it is nice enough.
    Just an opinion,
    Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why bother grading when I can get similar dollars for raw? >>

Sometimes you do. sometimes you don't.

<< <i>Is this just a problem for cards in the sub-$100 range? >>

No.

<< <i>Whenever I have sold raw cards in the past, I don't get top dollar. Maybe I'm too honest in my descriptions (I tend to say cards are worse than they are to protect myself against fickle buyers) >>

You answered your own question.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,
    Keep in mind $4.50 per card is all well and good but unless you are sending it with other cards you are looking at another $20 in shipping fees. Do you have a scan of the card? You may be able to sell it here if it is nice enough.
    Just an opinion,
    Jason >>

I'm sending in over 100 cards with this submission, so shipping/card won't be bad. About 60% will be for selling and 40% for my PC.

@STown: I guess I did answer my own question. The answer can also be found on that Waverly thread.
  • Options
    First of all, I don't trust that last Ryan that's laying flat. A little suspicious of the top corners there, the centering is driving that sale. As you can tell this card is difficult to find centered so that's basically the main factor in all these auctions. If you have a well centered Ryan with decent corners it's best to get it graded IMO. I believe graded is the best way to go on a popular player like Ryan in this instance for a higher sale. Common cards for '75 cards are a different issue, if it's OC or has corner wear I wouldn't bother grading.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Life is like a box of chocolates
  • Options

<< <i>Life is like a box of chocolates >>

PSA is like a box of chocolates !!!
    Any team on any given Sunday, can beat any other team...unless they were playing the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
  • Options
    I guess my point was that this can be a tedious task sometimes. I used the one Ryan card as an example. Doing the process for 100 cards can wear on me.

Anyway, my $4.50 submission is just about complete and will have around 125 cards. The only things I yanked from the submission were some 1959 Topps "Thrills" card (462-470, I already have the #461 Mantle in a PSA 6). The rest of them are in comparable shape to my Mantle but sell in the single digit range. I'll probably just list those as an ungraded lot.

/end babbling
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

you can often get the same money for a card selling it ungraded as you do graded. your 75' Ryan may get $30-35 whether it's graded or not.
  • Options
    Ah, well...

86 1 17425673 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC 1975 TOPPS MINI 500 NOLAN RYAN Card US
  • Options
    Speaking of OC Ryans, here's my latest grade or not to grade, 1971 Topps edition. I'm thinking grade, since it is only $4.50. Any opinions?

• Options
    I'm getting my bearings on this new scanner. Here's Nolan out of the card saver but still in his penny sleeve:

• Options
    JMO on possible grades:

Ryan & Carew ---------- 5 OC

Clemente, Rose & Seaver---- 5 but I think Rose may be a 5 OC.

Hunter-------------------- 6

Doug

• Options

<< <i>JMO on possible grades:

Ryan & Carew ---------- 5 OC

Clemente, Rose & Seaver---- 5 but I think Rose may be a 5 OC.

Hunter-------------------- 6

Doug >>

Thanks for the input, Doug. Maybe a raw lot on eBay is in order.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The Ryan and Rose are not OC. Centering standards for 5 are a lot more lenient than for 7 or 8.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I was just about to ask the question - do they even designate OC for grades that low?
  • Options

<< <i>I was just about to ask the question - do they even designate OC for grades that low? >>

NickM is right, I have a '54 Mays 5OC with barely any right border and a '54 Williams straight 5 that is OC worse than the cards you have. That being said, 5's on all but the Hunter and maybe the Carew being 6's. I changed my mind since earlier, that's why I don't grade cards. image Doug
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I'm a little more optimistic on these. I bet you'll see 6's all around
  • Options
    I ended up just sending in the Clemente, Rose and Ryan. One outta three ain't bad:

EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE Card US
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN Card US
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 630 ROBERTO CLEMENTE Card US
  • Options
    NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN Card US

I'm calling BS on this one.

Card is OC with a tilt, whitening on all 4 corners, flaking on edges and a fisheye. Not a chance that is a 7.
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN Card US

I'm calling BS on this one.

Card is OC with a tilt, whitening on all 4 corners, flaking on edges and a fisheye. Not a chance that is a 7. >>

I'm certainly no expert but I thought that as well.
  • Options
    Random PSA 7's

Random PSA 5's

• Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    Hate to pile on, but that would be the most overgraded 71 ever. Those 3 certs would settle it quickly.
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    If that card is a 7, I'm quitting the hobby.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    It's legit. I'll post another scan with that card slabbed once i have it in hand again.
  • Options
    Oh, here are the cert #s:

1 1 17373645 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 100 PETE ROSE Card US
    2 1 17373646 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 513 NOLAN RYAN Card US
    3 1 17373647 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 630 ROBERTO CLEMENTE Card US
  • Options

<< <i>Hate to pile on, but that would be the most overgraded 71 ever. Those 3 certs would settle it quickly. >>

A cert number would prove nothing. A scan of all three of the cards he posted showing consecutive (or at least close) flip sequencing might settle it.
  • Options
    Seriously I might quit the hobby.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>Seriously I might quit the hobby. >>

Can I have all of your 1981 Topps?
  • Options
    No.
    I'll melt them down and make a plastic statue of Joe Orlando.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    "That Cert is not available for display" (yet)

If these turn out to be true grades, especially that Ryan, it would be quite amazing.
  • Options

<< <i>"That Cert is not available for display" (yet)

If these turn out to be true grades, especially that Ryan, it would be quite amazing. >>

It would be the end of the Mayan calendar.
  • Options
    This is all an elaborate hoax. August Fools' Day!
  • Options
    I'm not quitting the hobby, and you still can't have my 81 Topps.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>This is all an elaborate hoax. August Fools' Day! >>

If so, you might as well get a new alt
  • Options
    Look for ShootyBabbit with one "t" soon.

I was being sarcastic. Everything (except for that last post) has been absolutely true. The results popped this morning, the cert verification should be up in the next 24 hours and I should have the card in hand by the end of the week. Scans to follow.

I'm happy to get an over-grade for once. I don't think I'll crack and re-sub this one.
  • Options
    Got my latest submission back from PSA. As requested, here they are slabbed...

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it bad that the 6s look better than the 7?
  • Options
    I just quit the hobby.

That Ryan is unbelievable. Sell it immediately, take your money and run.

Run fast.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

<< <i>I just quit the hobby.

That Ryan is unbelievable. Sell it immediately, take your money and run.

Run fast. >>

I plan on it. It will be listed on eBay next week in search of a holder buyer.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it bad that the 6s look better than the 7? >>

Exactly what I was thinking. Some grader must have had a nice satisfying Teriyaki chicken lunch before sitting down and placing "7" on the Ryan. Wow!
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    If that is indeed the same Ryan, all i can say is WOW! image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts