Home Sports Talk
Options

Lowest rated All-Star game ever

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
Link

Think that is enough for Bud to remove "it means something" aspect off the result of this game?

FACE IT BUD, NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS F'N GAME ANYMORE! The fans have spoken with the ratings, the managers have spoken with the moves they make during the game (could Girardi have managed worse?), and 80% of the players in the game, who know they aren't going to the World Series, don't care either. Why should the baseball all-star game mean something when every other all-star game means LESS than nothing?

Of course Bud is too f'n stubborn to admit this mistake and will continue to influence the outcome of his league's championship on an EXHIBITION GAME! Such a joke.

Rant over....I feel better now.

Comments

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Interleague play killed the AS game IMHO. I watched, but I am a die hard fan.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched it waiting for ARod to come in. LOL
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I watched it until they took Jeter out of the game. It was one of the worst AS games I ever watched...
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Of course Bud is too f'n stubborn to admit this mistake and will continue to influence the outcome of his league's championship on an EXHIBITION GAME! >>

Yup. Unfortunately, all of the players and fans just have to accept it until he retires. As a side note, all things considered, Bud will go down as the worst commish in the history of sports.

Anyway, home field for the world series should either flip flop between the AL and NL every year or go to best record.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Boring game.
    Capecards
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    The All-Star game started sucking when they started testing for steroids.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    I changed the channel after the 1st inning.
  • Options
    The All Star game is for the true fans just like the NBA and NHL all star games. Don't get me started on the Pro Bowl. At least the baseball AS game actually means a little something.
  • Options
    <<<The All Star game is for the true fans just like the NBA and NHL all star games.>>>

Huh? The NBA and NHL all-star games are not even reasonable facsimiles to how the game is normally played. True hockey fans don't like how the AS game is played because there is no defense and no checking.

<<<At least the baseball AS game actually means a little something. >>>

That's the whole point - an All-Star game shouldn't mean anything - it's an exhibition.
  • Options
    i watched the game it was a very good , well pitched game. I enjoyed it.
    I think home field goes to the best record, you should be rewarded for that accomplishment.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    FWIW, Neyer has as article about the ratings at ESPN.com
  • Options
    I havent watched any all-star game in any sports since the 90's. the players dont care about them, so why should i?
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>The All-Star game started sucking when they started testing for steroids. >>

The Home Run Derby started sucking when they started testing for steroids
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I love watching the All Star game, maybe because I love great pitching. I do think it is BS that the team with the best record does not get home field advantage.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    There was only ever 1 great AS game and that was the 1971 slugfest! 900 HOFers, most still in their prime, and about 10miles worth of HRs hit. Not to mention, the game meant nothing, as it should. Every baseball fan should own a copy!
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Once upon a time if you lived in say, Detroit, you never got a chance to see the NL's biggest stars. So guys like Musial, Aaron, and Mays were players you could only see if they were on television (and before television, you were just out of luck). And back then, there might only be one game on a week. So, realistically, you might be a diehard fan and only see a guy like Musial play on television once or twice a year. And the biggest stars rarely changed leagues, at least not in their primes. But eventually, with cable television, that Detroit fan got WGN and WTBS and WOR and he could see the Cubs, Braves, and Mets pretty much anytime he wanted, so he could see the top NL players a lot. And free agency made it to where players in their primes changed leagues every year. And now we have interleague play and the MLB package. So the guy in Detroit could watch an entire season of any team he wants.

What it all boils down to is this: Once the game was special. The AL players were AL players and the NL players were NL players and they took pride in it. Now, they go from league to league and they play against each other all the time. There's nothing special about it anymore.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    how can the all star game determine home field in the world series? If not best record, it should have something to do with the teams competing in the WS at least! It's silly!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I actually watched more of the all-star game than I have in the past few years - not sure why. However, as someone above said - inter-league play is what has killed the AS game. In the past, you never got to see these guys play against each other and I think there was more pride in the league you played in.

Plus, outside of a couple of players, there are just not the number of iconic players like there used to be. In the past, when you had a lot of the biggest names playing every year - such as Ripken, Schmidt, Gwynn, Brett, Carew, Rose, Griffey, Bonds, etc.... the game seemed like a bigger event. Take away Jeter, Pujols, and A-Rod, and it seems like a bunch of nobodies.

• Options
    Ratings.........kind of curious how accurate they really are. And who really cares unless you paid too much for advertising?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a side note, all things considered, Bud will go down as the worst commish in the history of sports.. >>

Not even close. Clearly, you've never heard of Gary Bettman.

Tabe
  • Options
    I miss the 80's and 90's.

That's when you had real all star games. Guys like Boggs, Sandberg, Ripken, Ozzie Smith, etc played primarily with one team for their entire career. The all star game was the only way to see all of them together. And it was an event. A baseball event, outside of normal regular season games.

But it's been diluted. Sort of like in wrestling, how the belts don't mean as much as they use to. Back in the day if you were a heavyweight champion or intercontinental champ, it meant something. I havent watched an NBA all star game since Jordan, really. My favorite baseball all star game was back when Al Michaels was doing them on ABC. Something like "inter league" play wasn't even thought of.

Mixing up NL and AL teams is almost like mixing up the white and black pieces on a chess board. Or mixing up the US Open and Wimbledon, and playing a game in Canada. You have to maintain space between the two.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Home field should always go to the team with the better regular season record. Perhaps they should play the game for some type of charitable situation for their home cities instead.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Happy 11th Anniversary to the All-star game that ended in a tie.
  • Options
    greencrow - don't get me started again....