Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1953 MS66FS Jefferson nickel.

Link (It's not my coin or a coin that I'm interested in right now).

What do you think? Just thought I'd post this as a twin to the 53-s nickel thread.

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the coin appears to have exceptional eye appeal for that year, I don't agree with the grade or FS designation. By those standards, my coin is a MS67.

It just wouldn't fit into my collection as a MS66

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Someone will definitely buy the full step designation but not the full step Jeff. imageShag
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    It will be very interesting to see what this coin and the 1969-D PCGS MS67RD Lincoln Cent bring in next month's auction!
  • Options
    Lovely coin.

I'm glad to see a really nice '53 Jeff full stepper come on the market.

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely interrupted steps under the second column. JHF Just having a little fun??image
  • Options
    Good eagle-eye, mister all coins rule. But by PCGS standards, it's a clear full stepper and a nice coin.

Just Having Fun -- and lots of it
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    So, where can I find a PCGS MS66 53? image
  • Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be up at the show and plan on taking a look. While one of the better struck 1953's I've ever seen, if you broke it out of the holder and sent it in again, no FS!

Let's see what happens
    Dowgie
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>I wouldn't buy it without checking it out in hand first. It might just be the large photo makes things look worse than they are. I didn't think pcgs would ever grade this date in 66fs.

I still need a better ms66 (non-fs) 1953 for my own set. >>

I don't know, it is an awfully nice coin when viewed at a distance. The cheek seems messed up but those are mostly planchet marks so they don't really stick out in hand that much, as you know. The lapel seems nice and clean and has a great satin look, reverse looks great, and the strike is fantastic MDS. From what I can see I would grade it a 66. I would of course always prefer to see it in hand.
  • Options
    If that's a Full Steps Jefferson then I have about a hundred I need upgraded.
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615

<< <i>If that's a Full Steps Jefferson then I have about a hundred I need upgraded. >>

I have a 66+ 68-S that I need upgraded. That is all I ask.
  • Options
    Thank you, Mr. All Coins Rule. It's been a while, because I got discouraged because of all the hate that came back at me for innocent posts.

One person actually showed an icon swinging a baseball bat at my head, because my post pointed out flaws in her program. Another dealer posted grotesque scatological responses that just disrupted the threads. And PCGS wouldn't patrol the lunatics out.

Now I see that many of the loonies are gone and PCGS seems to be taking good steps to patrol the industry, as they should be ... and I may make a come back.

But what should I collect?

I've sold my Roosies. I sold my nickel three centers. I'm keeping my Standing Liberties, Shield nickels, Liberty head nick's, and my Washington Carvers, et all. But there's very little there that can improve my collections.

So I'm not sure what to collect. Besides, I'm getting so old (69), I'm better off selling the stuff than buying it, because my kids have no interest in coins and if I kick the bucket with all those collections, they won't have the foggy woggiest idea of what to do with them.

Bottom line: I'm of course interested in collecting but not sure what to collect. I do like collecting elephant coins and coins from defunct countries. No registry sets there. I'm trying to put together a Liberty Head Nickel collection of nicks on penny planchets. But that's sloooooo going.

But I am ...

Just Having Fun and lots of it,
    In Bangkok
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll be up at the show and plan on taking a look. While one of the better struck 1953's I've ever seen, if you broke it out of the holder and sent it in again, no FS!

Let's see what happens
    Dowgie >>

Well big dog, what I think you'll find is a highly lustrous coin with steps that fail to be FS in the eyes of many here but that's besides my point. The following pic of the 1953 shows a lot of marks. I have a 1951-S with less marks and it was graded a MS64FS. My 1953-S MS65FS does not have one single mark like those seen on this 1953. Secondly, the strike is not full and it's just a matter of time when an example will surface with a full strike with full steps. The second picture shows a fully struck 1953 with deep line hair detail and a very sharp Monticello. It's common knowledge that a obverse strike that is less than full will produce stronger steps on the reverse, this 1953 is a typical example of that. But yet, the better coins are those with the best of all 4 qualities.
    But for some of us, where time is not on our side and for many of us who can't fathom waiting 20 years for the greatest coin to surface, I'd say go for it, pump the money into that thing. Afterall, it is a MS66FS, however gifted that may be due to it's one and only quality in luster.

(edited with a bettr picture that I had)

So... keep us posted with what you find out, hopefully all those marks including the carbon spot at 6:00 won't be as bad as they look in the pictures.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Justhavingfun, nice to see you. Things have gotten much better but I still have to keep my head down at times. image

So, what's the deal with that 53 FS? Is that "Full Strike" the same a "Full Steps"?
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    I don't think this coin is a MS66 grade or a Full Step coin, but are we working off the new grading standard, or the one from 5 years ago before the fiasco?

JHF, I'm sure there are many in this post waiting patiently for your Jefferson Nickel Set set to come on the market... any news on when that might happen and where?

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I would like to comment on the comments made about the 1953 MS-66 FS Nickel. I sent this coin to PCGS to get it graded and I feel they graded it correctly.

The picture's don't come close to how the coin actually looks, the bright luster doesn't show much, in fact it looks dull to me. The beautiful iridescent colors don't show, the Full Strike shows some, but if you had it in hand you would think differently about the coin. Is it Full Steps ... Yes!

I understand the comments because the pictures don't do it justice. For those of you who will go to the ANA and get to see it, I hope you do write back and give your opinion for the rest to read.

I will not lie, I am bias, but I'm not calling a spade a diamond either. Is it perfect ... Of course not, is it close for the date, you bet!

Thank you for your time!
  • Options
    Dear Full Step Jeffs:

I'm really in turmoil about the Jefferson nicks. They're one of my favorite collections. But I'm old, getting older, and my kids don't know diddley squat about rare coins and don't want to learn. So when I kick the bucket, what are they going to do with Jefferson full steppers?.

So I've come to accept the necessity of selling the set. Mr. WonderCoin will handle the sale. If all goes well, it will be next year.

I hope you pick up some of the best ones, even my MS68 full steppers. You're doing a great job with your collection.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun