Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

FSH: 2005 PCGS DELUXE GOLD PROOF SOVEREIGN SET-ONLY 250 sets issued-OVER 2 OUNCES of GOLD

I have been looking through some items that I am not currently interested in, and came across a box from the British Royal Mint that I got in 2005. The box holds a 4 coin "2005 PCGS GOLD PROOF DELUXE SOVEREIGN COLLECTION", with all four coins graded by PCGS as PR69, in the very first collaboration between the BRM & PCGS. The slabs each have an insert featuring the 'Union Jack' - the first time it has ever appeared on a pcgs label. There were 2,500 of sets issued in 2005, but of those, only 250 were sent to PCGS for grading & encapsulating. I'm willing to let mine go, at the right price (not much above my cost).

A little background - in 2005, the Royal Mint changed the design of the reverse on the sovereign & pound sterling coins - it is a single year issue, featuring a stylized version of St George & the Dragon by Timothy Noad. Also, 2 of the coins are top-population grade at pcgs, and the other two coins are very close. So, the set has quite a bit going for it - the first ever pcgs slabs with the Union Jack on the labels, a single year design issue, an extremely low issue of 250 sets worldwide, the top & low population grades of the coins, a very nice mahogany case, and finally, the precious metal content itself. I have the original packaging and certificate of authenticity as well.

Here is what constitutes the set:
Description pcgs cert # pcgs pop gold content-22K value w/gold @ $1,200/oz
2005 Gold Proof 5 Pounds coin (PCGS PR69) #73241979 173/2 39.94g (91.7%) $1712.00
2005 Gold Proof 2 Pounds coin (PCGS PR69) #73241249 175/0 15.97g " 684.00
2005 Gold Proof Sovereign coin (PCGS PR69) #73241580 176/0 7.98g " 342.00
2005 Gold Proof 1/2 Sovereign (PCGS PR69) #73241695 170/3 3.99g " 171.00

Total 67.88 g @ 91.7% $2909.00

Forgive me if my math is off a bit, I rounded to the nearest dollar - but I did use the information provided by the c.o.a. and various reference books. I think that my listed melt value is a bit less than actual. I will listen to any offers over melt value......but also consider the rarity factor and the cost of slabbing gold coins. This set should do well in the future, especially with the way gold continues to climb - the best offer that I get in the next 3 days (midnight Friday) can work out the payment & shipping details with me.
PM or email with any questions or for pictures. I think I have some photos that I can attach in a later post.

Thanks,
Chuck charlesguenther@comcast.net

Don't you know that it's worth
every treasure on Earth
to be young at heart?
And as rich as you are,
it's much better by far,
to be young at heart!

Comments

• Options
    Gold is at $1200usd per oz
  • Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Thanks - I realized that about 10 minutes after I did all the calculations and kept coming up with a number that seemed too high! I kept thinking that my math was wrong, but it was more a case of the wrong variable.image

The new numbers are correct at $1,200/oz but the layout got a bit jammed together when I re-did everything.

Let's say the best offer over 3K takes the set - I'll get some pics posted asap.
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Total 67.88 g @ 91.7% fine = 62.2 grams net gold content.

One troy ounce of gold = 31.1 grams.

By my calculation, the set contains net 2 ounces of gold. (A sovereign is very slightly over 4/17 of an ounce net gold.)

PCGS displayed the Union Jack on some inserts for 2000 and 2001 millennium early strike sovereigns.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    golddustingolddustin Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Quoting the literature included with the set from the BRM.

"Once at PCGS headquarters in Santa Ana, California, the coins were carefully examined, graded and sealed in PCGS holders with specially printed inserts displaying a 'Union Jack' and the official crest of the British Royal Mint. This is the first time that such a specially pedigreed mint label has been issued by PCGS."

So maybe its the BRM's official crest rather than the Union Jack.....or maybe they're just not telling the truth.
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!