Home Sports Talk
Options

George Stienbrenner R.I.P.

Thanks for everything.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True story - Through Whitey Ford, years ago, who was a friend of a friend, made arrangements for my sister, her husband, and young son to enjoy a spring training game in Florida at the Yankees box area. Steinbrenner was there, and my sister told me not only was he very cordial and friendly towards them, he spent hours, most of the game chatting baseball and other topics with my nephew - just amazing his warmth and hospitality, and of course it made for a wonderful, unforgettable day for my nephew.

RIP
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I always read that he donated so much money to the Jimmy Fund when Boston was having their fund raisers.
    RIP
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    huge influence on the game, RIP. We loved to hate him in Boston, yet he will be missed.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Boss, you were one of a kind and will be missed.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    RIP Mr. Steinbrenner.

Whether you loved him or hated him I am sure you will agree that he did SO MUCH for the game that we all love!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Tell me how he was good for the game of baseball. I'm interested.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    As a Dodger fan, growing up in the 70's, I had a hatred for George always getting the best free agents but as a semi-rationale adult I can appreciate his greatness. RIP.
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Somewhere, Howie Spira mourns for the man who brought him 10 minutes of infamy....I wonder if the Winfield Foundation can ever collect the money he owes them?

However, it is nice that Reagan issued him a full pardon for that illegal-Nixon-campaign-contribution thing.

Edited for schpelling
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grew up with the crazy ba$$tard. Another part of my childhood gone.
    RIP George image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

<< <i>Tell me how he was good for the game of baseball. I'm interested. >>

Why don't you show one gram of class and start another thread about what you want to cry about?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I'm asking a legitimate question.

Look, he was GREAT for the Yankees. As I said in another thread, if he was your owner, you loved him, if not you hated him. I appreciate his greatness for what he did for the franchise, but as far as being "good for baseball", that's subject to discussion IMO. There is no question, though, the Yankees would not have won 11 WS in 37 years without his ownership.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Tell me how he was good for the game of baseball. I'm interested. >>

Why don't you show one gram of class and start another thread about what you want to cry about? >>

Perfectly legitimate question, even though the timing of the question would cause some of his followers to throw scorn your way.
    However, the question is not classless at all, it is ok to question people even in death. I will try to answer.
    GS is spoken unkindly of due to his excessive spending to bring championships to the team and city he loves. I contend
    that he was one of the first owners to finally pay ballplayers what they deserved. All other owners could not compete with
    George (even though they had the money to), because George was generous enough to pay ballplayers well above what
    other cheaper owners desired to. George was also very generous in his giving to the military. Numerous times servicemen
    and women would come free of charge to see Yankee games when they were on leave. We also remember his generous
    donation to Virginia Tech after the student massacre on campus, along with his own Yankee team playing a charity game
    for the university.

However, in short, I ask you to do your research, and try to find one Yankee outside of Yogi Berra who speaks unkindly
    of GS, and even Yogi and George made up over the years. Most of his players have the utmost respect for the man, and
    many of us should too.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No disrespect for the late George Steinbrenner, but in my opinion that "growth" which occurred in baseball during his time as Yankees owner was mostly attributable to the advent of cable TV and then the internet, and the increased competition for sports programs amongst the network media driving up the cost of broadcasting contracts to the media...not with any particular specific thing which he happened to do regarding baseball. The value of all sports franchises in most team sports soared during this time.

After the way he so wonderfully treated my nephew, I could never dislike him, but he was what he was, and love him or hate him, as long as people watched and enjoyed MLB baseball games, I think that's what mattered most to him as far as baseball was concerned. In my opinion he was well aware of the shtick aspect of the Billy Martin escapades with the hiring and firings, along with other bold and brash things he did. Perhaps in his mind it was done for a good part in the name of promotion, and nothing wrong with trying to promote a business, as MLB is a business.

But there's no question, not debatable, he was a big fan of the game, loyal to the game and cared deeply about the game, and that certainly can't be said for a number of sports team owners today.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    *******Inside the Locker Room in heaven ... HOLY SH%T Thurman ... is that George?*******

****************************May they all rest in Peace!***************************
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now is not the time to bash the guy...he was not perfect and had his flaws but he was a significant part of baseball and his impact on the game is not debatable. Let's show some respect for the man, geez.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Somewhere in heaven Billy Martin just got fired...

Ha!

R.I.P. Mr. Stienbrenner, Thank you for the championships.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Now is not the time to bash the guy...he was not perfect and had his flaws but he was a significant part of baseball and his impact on the game is not debatable. Let's show some respect for the man, geez.

I agree.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>*******Inside the Locker Room in heaven ... HOLY SH%T Thurman ... is that George?*******

****************************May they all rest in Peace!*************************** >>

That is great!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>I'm asking a legitimate question.

Look, he was GREAT for the Yankees. As I said in another thread, if he was your owner, you loved him, if not you hated him. I appreciate his greatness for what he did for the franchise, but as far as being "good for baseball", that's subject to discussion IMO. There is no question, though, the Yankees would not have won 11 WS in 37 years without his ownership. >>

Ok, legitimate question. Certainly
    NOT IN THIS THREAD. Comprende? Start another thread. If you have an ounce of class.

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Not a fan of the team he owns, but the man certainly was a great owner. The man is a LEGEND in Tampa and will certainly be missed.

If you're curious as to why he is seen as a legend in Tampa, here are some articles that will show you a fraction of his impact.

LINK

LINK

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record- I am in agreement with Baseball:

Very good last 3 posts by Dboneesq, grote15, and twiley.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.