Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Recovery continues after the flood

It's been quite awhile since posting here. I hope things are going great for all of you. The last time I posted here I was checking to make sure everyone was ok from the May flooding.

I live in a small town of around 4,000 and love this place. It's home and a place I could stay at forever. When the flood hit our community had quite a bit of damage. Fortunately there was not a single loss of human life. However, plenty of homes, businesses and churches were flooded out. One of my biggest concerns after the flood was the damage done to our elementary and junior high school. Although the schools had a combined loss of $1 million, the damage to the elementary school forced the school to close the final 18 days of the spring semester.

Fast forward to July 12 and we are less than a month from the first day of school. Some would think that 2 months is plenty of time to fix a school. However, the fact that the school is still not ready speaks volumes about the damage.

Recently I found out that insurance only covers the physical building and essential resources. All personal resources lost by the teachers purchased from their own bank account will not be covered by FEMA or insurance. Long story short they have to bear a financial burden alone. I did not think this was fair and decided to do something about it. I set up a disaster relief fund in hopes of helping to raise money for the teachers impacted. We are going to take the total amount raised and split it among the 39-40 teachers impacted. Preliminary estimates is that this group lost an average of $1,000 each. One of our teachers lost 30+ years of resources.

Last night our effort was shared on the Nashville FOX affiliate. Here's a link to the report:

LINK

We also have a facebook page that chronicles the recovery efforts for those interested. LMK if you want the link.

I hope all is well for everyone,

Comments

• MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Thanks for the update.

I was an owner, or more so part owner, of a small home in Greensburg, Kansas, in a building that me and another guy used as a work shop while in the region, a couple years ago. It was a complete dump, but served it's purpose well (was able to store things in the region) and was basically free (might have spent more at a motel over extended trips). Some of you might remember a tornado hit the town about two years. A half mile wide tornado went straight down main street of the small town.

Funny thing is the tornado pretty much avoided the dumpy area of town were our workshop was. Although it did completely tear the roof off. But that side of the town was the only part left.

I was able to enter town when it's civilians where first allowed to get things and formed a raffle that raised a little over $15,000 afterwards.

Amazing how Greensburg is back now. It is a different Greensburg, but it did not die. (Small Kansas towns lose 2% population a year when everything is normal).

I hope FEMA is as much help to you guys as they were in Greensburg. I talked with the head FEMA person at Greensburg and he told me that Greensburg was getting the blank check treatment. As he rightfully noted, up to that point the newly restructured FEMA has three chances and what they considered three strikes. Greensburg was a small enough town they could make a visible difference and were going to do everything they could.

They have a new hospital and school now. The citizens were out of their FEMA little portable home things months ago and are for the most part in homes. The city is back.

I didn't mean to write this long, but I wanted to note that my thoughts are with you guys and that as much as is possible, I understand the giant task in front of you and hope the for the best.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Good luck with what you are doing. I'm just up North in Hendersonville and there finally seems to be some normalcy. I do have friends over in East Nashville that are still waiting to find out if Metro Davidson County will buy them out or if they should take the settlement so I know that there are many people still in flux. Best of luck and my wife has family in the area so we will make sure some money gets to the School District out your way.

Steven Finley
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I applaud your efforts, Chris, and wishing you the best.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Chris -

I am in charge of one of the largest Friends of the Library groups in Northern California...we can probably make a serious dent in rebuilding the school library with new (used) books. Let me know if you can put me in touch with someone at the school who is responsible for such things.

Best,

MooseDog
  • ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the update.

I was an owner, or more so part owner, of a small home in Greensburg, Kansas, in a building that me and another guy used as a work shop while in the region, a couple years ago. It was a complete dump, but served it's purpose well (was able to store things in the region) and was basically free (might have spent more at a motel over extended trips). Some of you might remember a tornado hit the town about two years. A half mile wide tornado went straight down main street of the small town.

Funny thing is the tornado pretty much avoided the dumpy area of town were our workshop was. Although it did completely tear the roof off. But that side of the town was the only part left.

I was able to enter town when it's civilians where first allowed to get things and formed a raffle that raised a little over $15,000 afterwards.

Amazing how Greensburg is back now. It is a different Greensburg, but it did not die. (Small Kansas towns lose 2% population a year when everything is normal).

I hope FEMA is as much help to you guys as they were in Greensburg. I talked with the head FEMA person at Greensburg and he told me that Greensburg was getting the blank check treatment. As he rightfully noted, up to that point the newly restructured FEMA has three chances and what they considered three strikes. Greensburg was a small enough town they could make a visible difference and were going to do everything they could.

They have a new hospital and school now. The citizens were out of their FEMA little portable home things months ago and are for the most part in homes. The city is back.

I didn't mean to write this long, but I wanted to note that my thoughts are with you guys and that as much as is possible, I understand the giant task in front of you and hope the for the best.

Clear Skies,
    Mark >>

Thanks Mark. FEMA has been great with all of us as well. FEMA has given the green light on a lot of projects that many expected to get delayed. I really appreciate the well wishes. This community is pulling together and coming together. Today we passed the $3,000 mark which has come from private donations. Thanks again!

<< <i>Good luck with what you are doing. I'm just up North in Hendersonville and there finally seems to be some normalcy. I do have friends over in East Nashville that are still waiting to find out if Metro Davidson County will buy them out or if they should take the settlement so I know that there are many people still in flux. Best of luck and my wife has family in the area so we will make sure some money gets to the School District out your way.

Steven Finley >>

Thanks Stephen. I hope your friends get an answer soon. It has to be difficult wanting life back on track but having to wait for a decision to be made. Thank you so much for your willingness to help the cause! I set up an account at the local Bank of America. I can give you the address and account info if you want or you can send it to the Humphreys County Board of Education with a "WES/WJHS Disaster Relief Fund" notation. Thank you again!

<< <i>I applaud your efforts, Chris, and wishing you the best.

image >>

Thank you!

<< <i>Chris -

I am in charge of one of the largest Friends of the Library groups in Northern California...we can probably make a serious dent in rebuilding the school library with new (used) books. Let me know if you can put me in touch with someone at the school who is responsible for such things.

Best,

MooseDog >>

Thank you! FEMA pledged to cover the library books so the board of education approved the purchase. The board decided that if FEMA backs out the system will just have to find the $100K+. They knew the school could not open without a library. Every book in circulation will be replaced and the books no longer in circulation will be selected by the librarian. There will no longer be VHS tapes as some 300 DVD titles are on the way. With that being said I am not sure exactly where they stand. I will PM you the info for the Director of Schools. He will be able to let you know where we stand. Thank you again!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Chris

Tremendous effort on your part - very inspiring.

I wish you and everyone all the best.

Thanx for the followup.
    Mike

<< <i>Hi Chris

Tremendous effort on your part - very inspiring.

I wish you and everyone all the best.

Thanx for the followup. >>

Thank you Mike. Although the preliminary estimates say that the teachers lost a minimum of $39-$40K in resources, we set the goal at $10,000. Of course we will continue collecting funds even if we hit the $10K mark. The plan was to present the check on the first day of school but we have another event scheduled for the day after the first day of school. Once that event is completed we will be getting the money in the accounts of the teachers immediately.

We have been able to benefit from some great ideas. Someone connected us with giftcardgiver.com which is a non-profit group that collects gift cards. According to their numbers, $6 billion is spent annually on the cards and some 10% goes unused. They ask people to send their unused cards with any remaining balance, even if it is a dime. They collect the cards and send them to groups in need. They already sent us $500 in cards for resources we need. We are in the process of collecting even more cards. The cards will be collected and their total value added up. Gift Card Giver will take them and give us cards from groups we can buy resources from. If any of you have any cards you do not want, let me know. Here's the link to our facebook page. You will have to have an account to see the content:

link
    I have to share a story.

The Tennessee Titans have been great to Waverly in the past. The Titans come to the elementary school every year. I asked the guys from Titans Radio if they would come to our big disaster relief fair July 29th. Unfortunately they could not make it. However, Larry Stone who hosts the Gameday Show said he wanted to help. He said he would send something to be sold and raise money for the event. Today a box arrived from Titans Radio. I opened it tonight in front of a group of folks. I am still stunned by the contents. Here's what was inside:

1) Signed cleat from Kenny Britt

2) The cleat is a good auction item, but the second item was a certificate. The certificate entitled the bearer to a dinner for two with head coach Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith, the voice of the Tennessee Titans. The dinner will take place before a taping of the Jeff Fisher Show in Nashville. What an amazing gesture by the crew at Titans Radio!

<< <i>I have to share a story.

The Tennessee Titans have been great to Waverly in the past. The Titans come to the elementary school every year. I asked the guys from Titans Radio if they would come to our big disaster relief fair July 29th. Unfortunately they could not make it. However, Larry Stone who hosts the Gameday Show said he wanted to help. He said he would send something to be sold and raise money for the event. Today a box arrived from Titans Radio. I opened it tonight in front of a group of folks. I am still stunned by the contents. Here's what was inside:

2) The cleat is a good auction item, but the second item was a certificate. The certificate entitled the bearer to a dinner for two with head coach Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith, the voice of the Tennessee Titans. The dinner will take place before a taping of the Jeff Fisher Show in Nashville. What an amazing gesture by the crew at Titans Radio! >>

Pretty neat...Kenny Britt is a cool player. NFL teams and players are great when it comes to charity.

If you PM me your address I will send you something worth auctioning.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.

<< <i>

<< <i>I have to share a story.

2) The cleat is a good auction item, but the second item was a certificate. The certificate entitled the bearer to a dinner for two with head coach Jeff Fisher and Mike Keith, the voice of the Tennessee Titans. The dinner will take place before a taping of the Jeff Fisher Show in Nashville. What an amazing gesture by the crew at Titans Radio! >>

Pretty neat...Kenny Britt is a cool player. NFL teams and players are great when it comes to charity.

If you PM me your address I will send you something worth auctioning.

Clear Skies,
    Mark >>

Thank you! PM coming.
    The word of the day is overwhelmed. Our community has been given so much love and support. Today we received the following confirmations for our silent auction:

1) Cal Ripken, Jr., is sending an autographed 8 x 10!

2) Ricky Carmichael donated a meet and greet, jersey off his back and tickets to championship day at a local motocross!
    The big event went down last night at the high school football stadium. What a great night. Unofficially the total amount raised is over $17,000! Certainly looking forward to getting the money in the hands of the teachers. The first day of school is Friday!
  • Hi folks, figured I'd do some follow up on this. The kids were able to go back to school on time and the teachers were given over $20,000 in cash/books/gift cards! Several of you were involved with the recovery effort. I thank you so much!
    Great to hear you have rebounded and that you passed your goal, Chris. I hope your family and church members have also fared as well.

Clear Skies,
    Mark