Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

SGC set registry - Copying PSA again !

I was just informed that SGC is going to try to put in place a Set Registry to rival the PSA one that is already up and going gangbusters.

I see this as flattery, since it proves the success of what BJ and PSA are doing for us.

I also don't think SGC has a chance in he** of really competing in this area.

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    There are some nice pre-war sets in SGC slabs. However, I doubt that there is even one complete set that could be made from every card submitted to SGC from the post-war era (and that's before you even taken into account SGC cards that have been re-slabbed in PSA holders).
  • Options
    Too little, too late if you ask me.
  • Options
    Halley - As posted the the same type of post on the "Community Board" - ...... they (SGC) have to get on board with this. SGC has a legitimate product and service and a loyal, albeit, small following compared to PSA. Working a set registry into their service may be very late but certainly cannot hurt them if it works efficiently.
    Many of the prewar and tobacco and candy products have a significant amount of product slabbed SGC. They do a respectable job with these issues and loyalists are not anxiuos to reslab PSA. A registry gives them one more reason to stay.
    I currently have a handful of American Caramels in SGC slabs which look very nice.
    Dont get me wrong; I am a PSA guy all the way, but if the SGC registry is coming it is good for them, good for collectors, good for the essence of set building, and probably good for PSA also.
    RayB69Topps
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    who cares.
    we all know they are copying PSA
    but of there are collectors with boxes full of SGC
    they ought to be allowed them register them somewhere.
    imageimage
  • Options
    You answered your own question.

Obviously anyone with a box full of SGC graded cards would care.
  • Options
    I don't think the SGC set registry would be a very good idea. I think ignorance is bliss. As long as the couple of SGC collectors out there think that there's a lot more like themselves out there, then they will continue their little collections. If they find out how lonely it is out there, how limited the interest is out there, how little secondary market there is for the stuff out there, then they make think twice about continuing to follow their dream. PSA set builders are a more confident bunch. They know that should they give up, the line of dealers and collectors waiting to gobble up their cards are very eager and aggressive. I think it is nice that some collectors have decided to assemble an SGC set, and would like to "come out of the closet" as it were. If their looking for the same sort of camaraderie that can be found on the PSA set registry however, I feel they may be very disappointed. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad though. Maybe it would keep them busy enough to stay out of our hair.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I will disagree that there are few colectors of SGC material. There are plenty of guys who would love to see a registry at SGC. I'm one of them. As seller of vintage commons and minor stars its another outlet for me too sell to more people. Before I switched to PSA I submitted over 5000 cards to SGC and THE only reason I switched was price for product. The registry will help that. SGC does a nice job and I personally think there graders are no better or worse than the ones at PSA. Remember now the 2 most experienced graders are not at PSA anymore but GAI. Does that make PSA worse or better? Someone just told me grading is an art, and I agree with him. I've had SGC 92's that I cracked out and had a good percentage grade PSA 9. I've also seen PSA 9's that suck bad. I dont think there is anyone out there that doesnt have problems with the grades of cards they own when they come back. I also know of some really sharp 1971 and 1968 sets in SGC holders. There not comlete but there moving right along. Basically I dont think its going to affect the PSA registryat all.