Home Sports Talk
Options

Congrats Spain!!!!

2010 FIFA World Cup Champs. Well done. Can't wait until 2014.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    There's been a lot of great soccer played in this World Cup....but not today. The better team won, but it was ugly, and didn't help the chances of soccer catching on in this country. Donovan's goal seems so long ago now.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>There's been a lot of great soccer played in this World Cup....but not today. The better team won, but it was ugly, and didn't help the chances of soccer catching on in this country. Donovan's goal seems so long ago now. >>

Yeah the game was brutal. There were about 10 minutes in each half that were just a complete waste of time-nothing but cards and whining.
  • Options
    futbol americano muuch better than that
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad it's all over!!
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    If I'm a Dutch fan I have to be asking why their player gets sent off with a red card (double yellow), when Puyol
    does the same thing to Robben on a breakaway and doesn't even get called for the foul.

Then Spain wins with the Dutch down a man. Soccer got exactly what it deserved, a boring result.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I picked Spain to win so glad they did. A win is a win!
  • Options
    If you get into it, the game really was not that boring. There were awesome chances each way and the keepers were outstanding. Puyol played good defense on Robben and didn't let him get by. Heitinga got beat and completely tripped the Spanish player. That justifies his second yellow. Also over 1 Billion people were watching this game. Last super bowl broke a viewing record with only 150 million. There is obviously something that people like about the sport.

Congrats Espana!
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    The game wasn't necessarily boring, but with all the fouls and all the players complaining to the refs (Spain mostly, although Robben was unbearable at times too), it was too choppy...The chances were few and far between but the ones they did have were really good, there should have been more goals up on the board.

People wonder why players flop and dive all the time (a tactic I hate BTW) - the Robben breakaway was a clear reason why. Even the announcer said that if Robben fell when Puyol grabbed him, they would have given the red card to the Spanish defender. Instead Robben tries to make the play (which I applaud him for), and loses the ball at the last moment.