Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Affordable Artwork Thread

Duke Snider was my childhood favorite. In NYC in the 50s – we were fortunate enough to have 3 choices – Yanks, Bums and Giants. And, of course, that meant – for me - the “kings” were Willie, the Mick and the Duke.

My first BB glove was a Rawlings Duke Snider signature model. I was a devout Dodger fan and my Brooklyn friends wanted to declare the day after the final game of the ’55 WS a national holiday!

Now to this week – I’ll never be able to afford a really nice piece of art - so picking up the original artwork for the 2010 Topps Chicle card of the Duke – is my “poor-man’s” centerpiece.

I’m really excited about this pickup – I will get it framed – and proudly display it on my wall.

The painted area of the artwork is 4x5” – and IMO a nice portrait of the Duke. Topps got artist Jason Davies to do the portrait.

One can see where the artist got the pose from:

Thanx for viewing - I gotta say - I feel good that I have a hobby I enjoy.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nothing like getting something special of your childhood hero.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    stormsurgestormsurge Posts: 858 ✭✭
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Mike, that is a truly great piece!

You should be very proud.

Robert
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome and screaming for an autograph under the drawing
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mike

Awesome pickup. The colors are cool.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    very cool! I've been looking around for a piece like that for myself!
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now to this week – I’ll never be able to afford a really nice piece of art - so picking up the original artwork for the 2010 Topps Chicle card of the Duke – is my “poor-man’s” centerpiece. >>

Any piece of original art is nothing to sneeze at. In addition to being cool, it's really beautiful.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

Very cool piece. Where'd you pick that up at? Are you going to get it signed by the Duke?

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    very nice!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

Very cool piece. Where'd you pick that up at? Are you going to get it signed by the Duke?

Mike >>

Topps Vault?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

Mike >>

Hi Mike

First - I would like to say thanx to everyone for the really kind words.

Yes - this is from the Toppsvault - and I will not get it signed since I have quite a few Snider auto'ed items to include his book, cards, ball, litho...

I will get it framed - to include a 59T Snider card.

Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Quality hit selection! Way to go! image
  • Options
    Nice pickup! Lou
    Collecting Roberto Clemente and Willie Stargell cards.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike,

Mike >>

Yes - this is from the Toppsvault - and I will not get it signed since I have quite a few Snider auto'ed items to include his book, cards, ball, litho...

. >>

I agree....I wouldn't get this signed either.......Best to leave in it's original state IMO

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike.

I bidded on over a dozen of the like artwork pieces from the 2009 Circe (msp) Football a couple months ago but could never win any. I was hoping they would list the Tony Gonzalez but did not see it come up. That might have been a cant lose bid item for me.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Agree, leave it original.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Mike, Very nice piece of art!

On a secondary note: Just read your memorable hobby moment on the boards. LOL, That was very funny!

Edit to add: When you get the piece framed with the 59 Topps card, please be sure to post a picture of the finished piece. I bet that will look great!
  • Options
    I was gonna pick up a beater as a companion piece for the artwork and accompanying card - the one I posted was not mine - the range of the cards I looked at were from 25 to 60 bucks - well - I picked this one up for 89.77 - thought that was a good price - it will be cracked out and mounted with the other items:

Mike
  • Options
    leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    Love that '59 Duke... great tint of green on that card!!
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I haven't written anything about artwork "I can afford" in quite some time - so I'm adding this one that I picked up recently.

The following artwork was done by Bruce Stark who worked for the News for over 20 years; he died in 2012 at the age of 79. I'm sure many know his son, Ron, is also an accomplished artist.

The Ducks are on the Pond - by Stark

Pirates slugger Willie Stargell started the 1971 season with 87 RBIs in the first half prompting artist Bruce Stark to suggest he had a shot at Hack Wilson's 1930 RBI record.

The artwork was put in the 7/12/71 edition of the NY Daily News.

The original work around 9x12" - and not framed at this time.

In summary, Wilson's 1930 season with the Cubs was incredible! He hit 56 HRs and 191 RBIs. The newspaper points to 190 but it was later changed to 191 RBIs.

Here's the actual newspaper clip:

Stark thru a little humor into the cartoon with the reference about keeping the Met fans from thinking about...the Mets. I had to look this up. The Mets in the 12 games leading up to the article had lot 10 of 12 games. Definitely something one would want to forget if they're a Met fan!

Thanx for viewing. Down the road, I'd like to add to this thread - the historical perspective on these little gems is where the fun is for me.
    Mike
  • Options
    Great piece Mike!
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup! I love sports art and just picked up some prints. But one day I'll buy an original piece. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    Thanx guys.

I'm planning to have both pieces framed down the road.

I know this kind of stuff isn't as popular as cards. I like items like the Stark art since it represents actual sports history.

In 1971 Stargell was on track to beat an RBI record and the Mets went 2 and 10 - I think Stark did a good job capturing that.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stark has some nice ones of Mattingly

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing, Mike!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    DP
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts