Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

100 Vintage or Semi-Vintage Sets Completed in PSA 8 or Better

Yahoo!!!!!

After almost 25 years of collecting vintage cards and about 15(?) collecting graded cards and graded sets, I have achieved my longtime goal of 100 vintage or semi-vintage sets in PSA 8 or better. The sentiment about this 7-8 years ago when I announced this as my goal was that it would be impossible to achieve but I kept at it. I would not be close to that number today if it were not for the continued help of a large number of collectors and dealers who have sold or given me key cards and sets along the way. I am indebted to all of then and very thankful.

Mike Rakosi, the King of Vintage Basketball, gave me the last card I needed in my 100th set-1971-72 Topps Trios. I don't believe it is possible to complete the 1948 Bowman and 1957 Topps sets without the active assistance of Mike who owns multiples of many of the cards but if he is your friend Mike is one of the most generous men I have ever met. Mike now has an internet show which I recommend to allo, is a stand-up comic and has mad(and lost) millions multiple times in commercial real estate. Thank you Mike.

Instead of listing my completed sets as I normally do, I would like to list the many collectors and dealers who have helped me along the was by privately selling me the last card, giving me the last card, selling me a key card toward the end, or actually selling me a complete set of graded cards in psa 8 or better. The downside of doing this is that I will leave out many people who have helped me along the worry. I apologize in advance for this--please remind me and I will add you to the list. I also want to thank PSA and its president Joe Orlando for what they have done for the hobby.

Here is my personal Hall of Fame:

1. Steve Novella
2. Mike Rakosi
3. Keith Pennington
4. Steve Lucas
5. Jay Wolt
6. Frank Evanov
7. Rick Snyder
8. Anthony Nex
9. Shane Leonard
10. Paul Howard
11. Mike Tavenner
12. Art Miller
13. Mike Cable
14. Rick Millsap
15. Jim Damiano
16. Ken Horton
17. Ben Milch
18. Scott Anservitz
19. Kirk Robinson
20. Jeff Rosen
21. Jason Wormack
22. Brian Drent
23. Levi Bleam
24. Marc Schoenen
25. Steve Iunelli
26. Louis DiCioccio
27. Dave Forman
28. Bill Bengen
29. Duncan Harvey
30. Doug Rivard
31. Mark Wagner
32. Tom Malito
33. Jeremy(FB Card Store)
34. Brian Ellsworth
35. Keith Abrams
36. Brian Dwyer
37. Ken and Dennis
38. Carl(The Duke of Mint)
39. Kenny Low

Comments

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on meeting the goal. For all the bad apples in this (or any) hobby there are always the good guys. It was great of you to give a shut out to all of them and those that helped the most.

So whats the new goal??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Jim,

Congratulations on reaching this goal, no doubt one costing countless hours (not to mention dollars).

Jasen
  • Options
    Congrats Jim. Tremendous accomplishmentimage
    Great list of collectors and dealers. I've dealt with some (not all) and it's a who's who of nice guys.
    Also, give yourself some credit. You had some real nice raw sets. I'm sure those sets were instrumental to completing your goal.

Again, great job and Congratsimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    toppsfootballtoppsfootball Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jim!!! on a magnificent collection as well as completing your goal!!! image
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    Congratulations Jim !!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim! That is truly a monumental achievement, and one that would seem to be unprecedented. Well done!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    rustywillyrustywilly Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Congrats Jim-

I've been following the progress over the years and admire the persistence. You have a wonderful collection. And, you've listed a bunch of wonderful people in this hobby.

What's the next goal?

Regards,
    Mark
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Congrats Jim, Remarkable acheivement! Thanks for sharing your progress with us.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Atta boy!

Like mentioned, congrats!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jim

Congratulations on a monumental achievment!

I would just like to see that much acrylic in one place! Just imagine what that weighs!

This kinds of reminds of people making their lifelong achievements goals - what's next?

Take care - you deserve a nice break.
    Mike
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool Jim! I've been reading these threads for at least five years.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Whenever someone reaches a crowning achievement it's always nice to trace the path they have taken. Here's a little bit that we've all joined him on, via past posts.

The first mention (that I could find) of Jim's sets, before the 100 set goal was stated
    In the beginning.....
    The question was "how many slabs do you have"
    Jim's answer:
    "I now have 82 sets I am trying to complete in psa 8 or better(e-mail me if you have cards I can use). These break down as follows
    11 pre-war baseball
    42 post-war baseball(1948-71)
    20 football(1935-65)
    8 basketball
    1 miscellaneous(33 goudey sport kings)
    These exclude the Hall-of-Fame and player sets i have up(8 or so) which are not really sets in my opinion. "

All a work in progress, back in July of 2002- almost 8 years to the day.

Jim jumps onto the '70 Kellogg's hysteria
    Kool Aid time!
    '70 Kellogg's were all the rage here on the board in '02, thanks in large part to an excellent covert marketing job by a couple of guys with large stashes. Jim jumped in the fun, and I believe this led directly to the goal of 100 sets in PSA 8.

This led to the Kellogg's war of words, all in fun (for the most part). Here Jim puts Ian Riccoboni on his s-list

"Dav is a bad man"

Jim's first Top 10 list, Christmas Day '02
    Top 10 dealer list

Jim deep at work on 103 sets, and offering to have anyone over to see them. Not the first time Jim has opened his house and collection to total strangers, and certainly not the last
    Dav-a -palooza

Jim coming to the aid of a dying board member, Phil Messmore
    A tribute to Phil

Jim, outting Dmitri Young!
    Dmitri out of the closet!

Jim's '05 top 10
    '05 top 10

The first countdown thread- Jim at #34

Jim makes the PSA Hall of Fame!
    Dav is a HOFer!

Typical Jim hospitality, another BBQ for anyone and everyone at his house. I've had dinner with Jim about half a dozen times, and I don't think I've ever met anyone as sneaky about making sure he picked up the check. I finally had to resort to a Mexican restaurant just to try and catch up, since he doesn't speak spanish. BTW Jim, that 3rd smile and a nod that night you agreed to bring the entire waiters family up from Guatemala, and he's been asking about when you're going to come thru.
    Davapalooza Redux

The half century mark, set #50!

Set #75

And #100 today.
    100!

Congrats Jim!

edited so Bob doesn't burn down the senior center!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Nice recap, Anthony! You didn't add a link to the thread where he announced getting to #100, so I will.

Congratulations, Jim! Tremendous achievement. Now, you should try and upgrade them all to PSA 9. image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim , image You've done what very few have even dreamt . As with almost all your sets , another very nice set to have completed.

If I were you , I would defenitly savor the deed , and wait until another time to ponder , what will be your next goal. That day will have its own answer then.

Jim , wonderful job.------- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Thanks for the links Anthony...a nice stroll down memory lane.
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! To get any set in PSA 8 or better in an accomplishment. 100 is UN believable.
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim!

It has been fun watching you pursue, and now accomplish your goal image

Steve
  • Options
    Epic journey ending with a monumental achievement! Congrats! image
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jim. Now it's time to learn how to post pics of your most impressive collection...image

Joe
  • Options
    benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    awesome!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    hoopguru33hoopguru33 Posts: 611 ✭✭
    Congratulations on your goal of 100 sets!
    POSITIVE TRANSACTIONS: BKritz; Akuracy503; Rogermjn; MBMiller25; Artimus; JasonM32; Burke23; Alnavman; InitialD; Gregmo32; Ping4u43; Rbdjr1; Rexvos; Drewsef; Italianstallionyankees; Zep33; Samsgirl214; Bunker; Swartz1; MeteoriteGuy; Itzagoner; VitoCo1972; Saucywombat; RaptorsRule04; Dboneesq; Hallco; ldferg; Hawaii76; Epatmythes; Vladguerrero; Calaban7; Cardcounter2; BobS; Recbball; BarkusD; ShootyBabitt: WalterSobchak; Mrmint23; Nightcrawler729
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. You really sprinted toward the finish line. Time for a break or new goals?
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Jim - Congrats on #100, that's quite the milestone image
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Amazing feat
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Just saw them all this morning as I was rocking to Chicago and the Doobie Brothers last night and just in case someone thinks I am not "hip" I was at the Lady Gaga concert the night before at MSG with my wife and two children. I especially appreciate the comments by "old" friends.

No new goals (for the time being anyway)--just going to keep trying to complete my sets that I am working on in PSA 8 or better and enjoy the hobby. Fab Frank is correct in that when I started this quest I had a lot of nrmt-mt raw sets and have sent thousands and thousands of raw cards into PSA.

Anthony that was quite a compilation of comments and threads. Thanks for being gentle. I may have to pick a new restaurant next time image.

I started in this hobby because of the cards and not for the comaraderie or to make friends. However, during the past decade I have met some of the greatest people I know in the hobby. I am a competitive guy and that has helped me not only in business but in my relentless pursuit of 100 sets. However, I would like to think I have mellowed over the years. Some of the things that caused me to get agitated about in the past would just roll off my shoulder today(but not all). image

Anyway, I do plan on having a party at my house to celebrate finishing 100 sets. The collection would be open for all to see. I will provide food and drink. All will be invited to the party and I will ask everyone to make a donation to help Jay Wolt defray some of his medical expenses. I will match total donations up to a certain amount.

Jim

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Jim. Always nice to achieve a goal. Good work.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I would like to think I have mellowed over the years. Some of the things that caused me to get agitated about in the past would just roll off my shoulder today(but not all). >>

I'm hoping that's true for all of us Jim

The party should be a good one! Wish I lived closer than across the gulf. Very generous gesture on your part with respect to the contribution.

I would like if someone posted some pics?
    Mike
  • Options
    Davalillo is my hobby hero!!!
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    .... And though every single human in the stands were at a complete loss for words, the man who in his life had uttered fewer words than any of them knew exactly what to say.

"That'll do, pig. That'll do."

imageimageimageimage

Congrat's Jim!
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Mike,

I promise there will be pictures.

Jim
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

HUGE CONRATS ON SUCH AN AWESOME ACCOMPLISHMENT

Regards,

Al - Teddy Ballgame
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Jim...time to pop the champagne cork!

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I am in awe of your accomplishment, Mr. Davalillo. Congratulations!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    shut the front door!!!

congrats sir, what an accomplishment!
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jim -- the breadth of your collection is absolutely phenomenal. Congrats on a very significant achievement!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim!
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
    q
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    WOW Stunning! Congrats!
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Wow Jim,
    Absolutely Incrediable!!

I know what it's like to build and work on just a hand full of sets at PSA 8 or above.
    You have a 100 of them and that's not even counting all the sets you are close on.

Mark said it best: "the breadth of your collection is absolutely phenomenal. Congrats on a very significant achievement!"

Very cool that you set an extremely lofty goal and systematically through the years went about achieving it.

My hat is off to you Jim!

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim you have really done the impossible by getting all of these sets in PSA 8 or better. Your collection is the best and I am happy for you that you finally hit the big 100. One can only imagine how difficult this would be. Congrats again!!!

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go Jim!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim,

I missed this post the other day ... CONGRATULATIONS! What a remarkable achievement. I'd find it interesting if you told us your top 5 complete sets. Hmmm, the TRIOS is your #100 set ... and we are trying to give your summer party a new name ... TRIOS PARTY sounds like a LOT of fun! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Wow, thank you guys. I appreciate everyones congratulations and comments from guys who I have known for a long time to others that have encouraged me more recently.

Number 101 to come shortly.

Jim
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim...

A BIG CONGRATS to you on sticking to and finally accomplishing your goal of 100 sets in PSA 8 or better...imageimageimage

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Wonderful accomplishment Jim! Having been lucky enough to visit you in your home and see your collection and the passion you have for it, I had every expectation that you would reach your goal. I see no reason why there won't be a "150 sets in PSA 8" thread in the future.

Best wishes,
    Bernie
    Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    congrats on a great collection.image
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Bernie,

Thank you! Long time no hear. Come on up to my next party. The collection has grown by quite a bit since you have last seen it. With Anthony's help I finished 1941 Play Ball and am 5 cards away on 1939. Trying to do 1940 Play Ball in 7/8.

150 Sets in PSA 8 or better??? You are setting the barrier pretty high! I would have to finish many of the sets that I am at 7 or fewer cards in, push into the early 1970s sports sets, and make a bigger push in non-sports to get there.

I don't see myself pulling a Louchios and doing T206 in PSA 8 or better?

For now I will take it one by one.

Jim
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    phenomenal achievement and worthy of more attention than anything Strasburg. image
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great news!!! congrats!!

i was on vacation adn missed the announcement

now what? 150-200????

a lot of old tobacco set to do
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies