Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

To slab or not to slab???

I currently own a complete set of modern commemorative proof coins. Both silver and gold. They are all in the original US Mint boxes. I feel like they will loose value if they are removed from the boxes but I would like them slabbed. For instance my 1995-96 16 coin Olympic set is in a beautiful solid cherry US Mint presentation case and my Jackie Robinson comes in a wooden box with a baseball card and pin. By slabbing these coins these beautiful boxes will go to waste. What to do???image

Comments

• Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    as many other more experienced people on this message board say

"they are worth slabbing them if you intend to sell them"

Good possibility they would increase in value if you did. I am sure others will respond to you.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Slab them but save all the supporting material (including the plastic cases which house the coins). You will end up with nice registry set, and still have the opportunity to crack them out and restore the originality of the set (if you need to in the future).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    What you can do is have them slabbed, then as soon as you get them crack them out and put them back in the cases. Then you still have the number. But if you either plan on selling it in the near future or don't want to pay more slabbing costs then don't do that.
    Hope that helps, Brian.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    Some coins are not worth more slabbed. Such as the Buffalo dollars. My wife collects US Mint products in original packaging. I would really want to display the commems in the nice wooden presentation boxes.

If you slab absolutely keep all original packaging.
  • Options
    My opinion, no.

They in the original packaging, why put them in a slab? They'll look much better the way they are.