Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question Regarding a PCGS Mechanical error?

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was selling this 1865 Seated Quarter PCGS AU50 OGH on the B,S,T and a potential buyer noticed that when he looked up the Cert. the coin shows PF50. I bought the coin a few years ago from a known dealer as a BS. Is this covered under PCGS guarantee? Kind of bummed because the BS is scarcer and worth more then the PR. I remember someone telling me about some die charactersistics that indicate Proof but don't see them. Coin does have a PL look, though.

Comments

• Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    It would not be covered under the guarantee, as the cert.# look-up is clearly indicative of mechanical error as opposed to the coin being misattributed.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would not be covered under the guarantee, as the cert.# look-up is clearly indicative of mechanical error as opposed to the coin being misattributed. >>

doesn't seem to be right. how is some average joe collector supposed to know that when buying it at a show. I own many coins that I have never looked up the cert number, I shouldn't have to do that.
  • Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    Don't know about the guarantee question, and i don't think I would have caught it, but now that you mention it that coin has some mighty fine looking denticles...
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What the PCGS Guarantee Does Not Cover

The following is further explanation of what the PCGS Guarantee does not cover.

Clerical or "mechanical" errors.

Proofs shown as regular strikes and regular strikes shown as proofs. For example, if you had an obvious regular strike 1907 $2.5 gold piece, but the PCGS holder showed the coin as a proof, this coin would not be covered by the PCGS Guarantee as the difference between a regular strike and proof 1907 $2.5 is obvious.

pcgs.com/guarantee

I am sure pcgs would be happy to "fix" the error but it seems they could deny payment if they dont want to.
    Only way to find out for sure what they will or wont do is call pcgs.
  • Options

<< <i>What the PCGS Guarantee Does Not Cover

The following is further explanation of what the PCGS Guarantee does not cover.

Clerical or "mechanical" errors.

Proofs shown as regular strikes and regular strikes shown as proofs. For example, if you had an obvious regular strike 1907 $2.5 gold piece, but the PCGS holder showed the coin as a proof, this coin would not be covered by the PCGS Guarantee as the difference between a regular strike and proof 1907 $2.5 is obvious.

pcgs.com/guarantee

I am sure pcgs would be happy to "fix" the error but it seems they could deny payment if they dont want to.
    Only way to find out for sure what they will or wont do is call pcgs. >>

The guarantee policy uses the word "obvious" many times but this is not really exactly an obvious mechanical error in my opinion. As illini420 pointed what if I bought it at a show without having a computer to check the cert. #.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The guarantee policy uses the word "obvious" many times but this is not really exactly an obvious mechanical error in my opinion. >>

Yep, why you will need to call pcgs and start the process and see what they will decide to do.
    Obvious too who? A pcgs grader or a person new to coin collecting image

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that whether it was "obvious" is important. For something like Seated Type coins and even Morgan Dollars, I don't really collect those so I wouldn't be able to know for sure the difference between a proof or a very prooflike business strike in most cases and would surely rely on the label (and the selling dealer) as the expert opinion.

Is it also possible that when you look a coin's cert no. up that the mechanical error would be in the cert listing and not on the label? Maybe it really is a business strike and the database is in error?

Good luck.

• Options

<< <i>I agree that whether it was "obvious" is important. For something like Seated Type coins and even Morgan Dollars, I don't really collect those so I wouldn't be able to know for sure the difference between a proof or a very prooflike business strike in most cases and would surely rely on the label (and the selling dealer) as the expert opinion.

Is it also possible that when you look a coin's cert no. up that the mechanical error would be in the cert listing and not on the label? Maybe it really is a business strike and the database is in error?

Good luck. >>

Anythings possibe I guess. When I have the time I will give them a call. Thanks.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Unless you're convinced it's a proof (are there any experts out there), I would send a pic of the slab to PCGS and ask them to change the database.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I could not imagine PCGS NOT honoring their guarantee on that coin. I collect Seated coins and it is not obvious to ME that it is a proof.

I suspect that their database is in error and the coin is correct.
    Tom

• Options
    I would send it to them but currently I'm not a PCGS member because I don't really send that many coins in.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    For mechanical errors, you do not need to be a current PCGS member.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    RonaldDayRonaldDay Posts: 36 ✭✭

I have two that I'll be sending in to be reholdered. Both are Mexican coins

Anybody besides me see an issue here? I own the coin in the middle.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonaldDay said:

Do you mean bringing up a 14 year old thread in the US Coin forum to discuss your foreign coin? Or did you mean the mechanical error?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@RonaldDay said:

Do you mean bringing up a 14 year old thread in the US Coin forum to discuss your foreign coin? Or did you mean the mechanical error?

Lol. I think he means the bust is facing the other way.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

no need to resurrect.

i have a reconsideration in a nfc where the nfc does nothing

tons of us has had this happen

lots of throughput, a small percentage of errors means more than a handful made

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    no need to resurrect.

i have a reconsideration in a nfc where the nfc does nothing

tons of us has had this happen

lots of throughput, a small percentage of errors means more than a handful made

I bought a slab submission of 300 coins from a bulk submitter. There are 15 1964 proof dimes that are all labeled MS.

• Options
    RonaldDayRonaldDay Posts: 36 ✭✭

@lermish said:

@RonaldDay said:

The topic of the thread was mechanical error. As for the age, I didn't look when I posted. If the forum doesn't like resurrections they could implement an auto thread lock after a year to prevent it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file