Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Starting lineups

does anyone actually collect these anymore or should I just throw them in the fire pit????
Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set

Comments

• Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a collection of them but haven't bought any in a long time.

Shipping is usually higher then what the items go for so that tends to turn people off. But there are always exceptions if you have the right piece.
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    I have a few as well...................i let my kids play with a lot of them. ") Their hasn't been a market for these in a LONG time.
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    I am interested in Derek Jeter Starting lineups. The cards more so then the figures...
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    I need to pick up one more Steve Young to have them all (like maybe a dozen), and I need to sometime replace my 1989 with an unopened one (but it is like a $200-$300 piece so I might not snice my figure looks mint).

I also still need the McFarlane from last year and most of the figurines. But I have a couple shelfs of Young like items.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Mornig,
    I also have some of these if anybody is interested. I have about 10 Peyton Manning's not in the package, a 1991 Special Edition Michael Jordan Unopened and a 1996 Derek Jeter unopened. Anybody have any interest?

Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to buy them at the Px when they were hot - now they're in plastic tubs in a closet.

Have no idea what I'll do with them?

My favorite is still the 1990 Griffey - sliding.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Have no idea what I'll do with them? >>

They make great wallpaper. image

Old pics below showing a few of what I have.

Eventually the boys will end up with all this and probably tear it all open. image
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I have one with Roger Staubach still in the package I bought 10 years ago. I keeping it just because it's Roger. I really didn't buy it for future value.
  • Options
    Holy crap Jeff!

That does look kinda cool - how many do you have?

Does anyone remember when Roastedcat posted his star wars room - it had all kinds of stuff on the walls and a cool background - wish I had saved the pics - they were incredible!
    Mike
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The death knell was sounded for Kenner when McFarlane released the initial hockey all-stars and then finally got licenses to release the 4 sports. The detail and price point were something that SL couldn't consider competing with. It was like having the option of buying a Yugo for $6.99 or a BMW for $7.99. Not a difficult choice, in my opinion.
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    like everyone else i have some myself. I wish i could do something with them but no market for them at all.
  • Options
    msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure there is still a market for regional 1988-1990 pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Holy crap Jeff!

That does look kinda cool - how many do you have? >>

To be honest I can't remember. image

I'd say roughly 60 or 70 on the wall plus a few more in a couple boxes.

<< <i>Does anyone remember when Roastedcat posted his star wars room - it had all kinds of stuff on the walls and a cool background - wish I had saved the pics - they were incredible! >>

I sure do. That collection is amazing and puts mine to shame. image

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

My problem is I like just about everything so I never focus on just one type of collection. Good news is that I have a little knowledge about a lot of things having been brought up around the buying and selling of antiques/collectibles so I can spot something at a yard sale (which is rarely anymore as children are priority) that a person that is looking for a specific item might miss.

Good example are these.

Got to the sale that had these very late in the day. Gentleman had them in a plastic sandwich bag in plain site on a table. He had many old/older items and prices were reasonable but some were a little high as well. Asked what he needed for them and he said $1. Thought okay $1 each is a really great deal and he's like no, a $1 for the whole bag.

But someday I'll manage to just collect one type of thing and stick with it.

Yeah right! image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember when Roastedcat posted his star wars room?

Yep i sure do Mike.

Wasn't he an admitted ebay addict? He had to bid or he would get all sick.

It got to the point where he was bidding on 1 cent stuff just to feed his habit!

His name was Jerry. Was a good guy too.

Oh he'd make your shoes shine like mirrors.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    What are the rare ones?
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    I would guess the 1988's would be a bit more desireable than the later years. I know I bought a ton of 1988 baseball when they first came out because I had delusions of a Hartland revival but in looking at auctions, price guides, etc I have come to the realization that they aren't worth the space they take up.

I was actually thinking of selling my 1988 baseball lineups on ebay ..... one big load ...... several key figures like the Ryan, McGwire and Bonds for example.

I do wish, however, I was smart enough to buy the 1988 basketball series ... if the price guides are right then those were a good investment.

Sad because they are actually pretty cool collectables for $4.99. Tell me, are the cards part of the PSA player registry requirement?
  • Options
    Yes the cards are part of the player sets.
  • Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭
    Thankfully I sold a few extras I had when the market was good. I am still looking for a few as display pieces since Kenner made many players that McFarlane never will.
  • Options
    Not sure anyone can answer, but in your opionion should I sell my 1988 baseball SLUs individually, regionally, as team sets or all 1 lot.

Just trying to figure out how to get the most from these 75 (or so) different 1988 baseball SLUs
  • Options

<< <i>What are the rare ones? >>

The toughest ones are....

'88 Basketball - Utah Jazz
    '88 Football - San Diego Chargers
    '89 Football - A couple of the lineman (Cadigan, Covert, Ferrell, Fralic are some of the toughest)
    '90 Football - Broncos (not Humphrey)
    Baseball - A couple from '89 are a little tough (Scott Fletcher, Angels, Braves come to mind)

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    88 rod woodson sells for over 50 bucks.. i've been just looking for the card for a while and haven't had any luck.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure anyone can answer, but in your opionion should I sell my 1988 baseball SLUs individually, regionally, as team sets or all 1 lot.

Just trying to figure out how to get the most from these 75 (or so) different 1988 baseball SLUs >>

If it was me.....I'd sell the Ryan and Ripken individually. Sell any full (near full) regional team sets. And bulk the rest together (All-star case players like Winfield, Clemens, Carter, Gooden, etc.)
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    I think the only one I have is the Walter Payton / Barry Sanders double... which used to fetch a decent price.

No idea these days.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    How much do the 88 Utah Jazz sell for? Those were always rare.
  • Options

<< <i>How much do the 88 Utah Jazz sell for? Those were always rare. >>

Quit paying attention years ago, but I just looked up and saw that a Mark Eaton in the package just sold for $121 on eBay.

I'd guestimate about $600-700 for the 4?

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Stockton usually sells for $300 and Malone for $400 if they're not too beat up.
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Too bad Ebay doesn't keep data from years ago. It doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. That's one subscription price service that I might pay for.

Even better if they saved pictures, then you could truely judge certain items. $121 for Eaton seems pretty good considering a few blemishes and some creasing.

I remember when starting line ups were red hot in the 90's. I went to a mall in canada on a trip, looking for hockey starting line ups. When they first came out. I think '96? McFarlanes I don't even consider in the same category. They're better detailed, but I think one is a toy, and one is more of a collectible.

I see the 88 reggie miller is $400 and $450. Wasnt there a special jordan or magic johnson from 91 or 92 that was rare? I think it use to sell for $100-$150.

The 88 football ones look great with the green background and white card.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The death knell was sounded for Kenner when McFarlane released the initial hockey all-stars and then finally got licenses to release the 4 sports. The detail and price point were something that SL couldn't consider competing with. It was like having the option of buying a Yugo for $6.99 or a BMW for $7.99. Not a difficult choice, in my opinion. >>

No kidding. I got a Steve Yzerman one with the Stanley Cup when they first came out and it was awesome. MILES ahead of anything Starting Lineup ever produced.

Tabe
  • Options
    slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    I had a large-er collection of openeds and unopeneds. Last time I moved I checked eBay and it seemed like more work to sell them than they were worth. Pretty much gave them away on Craig's List.

Kept my '88 Don Mattingly though, just for old times sake.
  • Options
    Confirmed that the 1988 baseball starting lineups are not worth what we paid for them 22 years ago.

I just sold on ebay most of my 1988 Kenner baseball collection. I auctioned the figures off by team ... although some teams sets did not have every piece, they all had at least half of the figures. Some of the team sets had nice HOFers such as Gwynn, Clemens, Rose, Puckett, Henderson, Boggs, Molitor, etc.

Here are the ebay results .....

58 figures sold (18 team sets). 2 team sets got zero bids .... Angels (Devon White, Downing and Joyner), and Canada (Raines of the Expos and George Bell of the Blue Jays).

I got a total of $219.52 for these pieces which breaks down to $3.78 per player ... these averaged $4.99 at retail when they came out. So, suffice to say there was no price appreciation nor was there much excitement to buy. Kind of sad .... because these were pretty cool pieces when first introduced.

I started the bidding at $2 per player ... if there were 4 players in a team set then the starting bid was $8, for example. Top 3 team sets were ... 6 Cardinals got $26 ($4.33 per player), 4 Cubs got $22 ($5.50 per player) and 5 Dodgers got $20.50 ($4.10 per player).

Not sure what this means, but I know my closet is a lot clearer now that these huge boxes are gone.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a huge box of SLUs in my storage room. Sounds like I'll just throw it in the dumpster image

I am looking for one SLU to complete my Padre/Charger collection.....the 1989 Tony Gwynn (even though to me, it looks more like Eddie Murray than Tony). Very few/none seem to pop up on ebay.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty sure there is still a market for regional 1988-1990 pieces. >>

I have about 100 MOC SLUs from this time period - which ones are valuable? Just curious - last time i checked sellers were giving them away on ebay.

I remember the 88 Jordan was hot at one point...
  • Options

<< <i>Confirmed that the 1988 baseball starting lineups are not worth what we paid for them 22 years ago.

I just sold on ebay most of my 1988 Kenner baseball collection. I auctioned the figures off by team ... although some teams sets did not have every piece, they all had at least half of the figures. Some of the team sets had nice HOFers such as Gwynn, Clemens, Rose, Puckett, Henderson, Boggs, Molitor, etc.

Here are the ebay results .....

58 figures sold (18 team sets). 2 team sets got zero bids .... Angels (Devon White, Downing and Joyner), and Canada (Raines of the Expos and George Bell of the Blue Jays).

I got a total of $219.52 for these pieces which breaks down to $3.78 per player ... these averaged $4.99 at retail when they came out. So, suffice to say there was no price appreciation nor was there much excitement to buy. Kind of sad .... because these were pretty cool pieces when first introduced.

I started the bidding at $2 per player ... if there were 4 players in a team set then the starting bid was $8, for example. Top 3 team sets were ... 6 Cardinals got $26 ($4.33 per player), 4 Cubs got $22 ($5.50 per player) and 5 Dodgers got $20.50 ($4.10 per player).

Not sure what this means, but I know my closet is a lot clearer now that these huge boxes are gone. >>

ouch - that sux - were these all MOC or loose?
  • Options
    If you guys can PM me a list of what you have I'll consider purchasing them. I'm not sure what I'm looking for myself but I'm interested in all sports.
  • Options
    I don't know how many I have - I picked up most at the Px over the years - some from toys stores.

I don't display them - there's 2 favorites that I might - if I have the space - the rookie Griffey (sliding) and the 1990 Jordan (jump shot) with coin.

It's too bad they lost popularity.

It's like - I remember when my son was chasing the 92F cellos for the rookie sensations - I think they were selling for like 5 to 6 per pack or more on a 1.99 retail - now you can get a box of 24 for 12 bucks from BBCEx.

Mike
  • Options
    When started last month, this thread has actually gotten me purchasing a few SLU's here and there on eBay (mainly opened figures and lots w/ regional FB).

There is an unopened '88 Karl Malone ending tomorrow thats got some wear to it
  • Options
    All these figures were new in box. None were loose figurines. Some had the original retail price label on them and some did not, but all were complete in their original boxes. Granted some of the boxes had a crease or two and some had a few nicked corners, but all were in collectable condition....expecially the cards.

Quite honestly, I was disappointed that the premiere edition (and the most valuable) baseball year went for such little money. My advise to any collectors on SLUs is to hold onto them (assuming the storage space isn't a problem) and sell them when there is a true secondary market.

There will be a secondary market on these .... right?
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    I've got a bunch of the larger size hall of famers that they issued a number of years ago in boxes also taking up space in my basement....if I remember they were over $20 a piece when new and now I don't think they are worth much....they are the one's that came with clothes on them and I remember the Ruth had a bat and ball along with a small glove....there were also two versions of the Ruth if I remember correctly...haven't looked at them for so long I've forgotten.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Just like everything else mass produced during this time these were over collected and will never really be worth much of anything (always a few exceptions but 99% will be worthless).

I dumped all of mine a few years ago and maybe got back 60% of what I put into them.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Finally got the last Steve Young starting lineup. I still need a 1989 in the package, mine is lose and the card maybe EX.

The final one I needed was 1992...the year that had the poster/card with figure. Those seem to be harder to find for some reason...or at least in Young it is. The cheapest one right now on eBay is like $25 with shipping and the card is damaged, bubble is lose.

But anyway, 10 years later...I finished the Youngs. I would insert a dancing smiley here...but I can't seem to find it on the list.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    if anyone has the card from the 88 rod woodson i would be interested. ive only seen a few sealed figures on ebay and they usually sell north of 50 bucks. i only want football card if anyone has one. thanks
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    All of my SLUs went to Toys For Tots years ago.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Still need some White Sox from 1988 and 1989. I think '88 includes Gary Redus, Harold Baines and Greg Walker in their road greys.

The '89's are the home uniform for Fisk, Kittle....Calderon, maybe.

• Options

<< <i>How much do the 88 Utah Jazz sell for? Those were always rare. >>

The 4 figure team set loose out of the package sold for a little over $300 tonight on eBay (if anyone besides me cares)
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    I still love Starting Lineups. I probably have one of the worlds, largest and most rare collection. Something that I am proud of anyway image
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!