Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Long term storage of cards

Hello board members. I just finished what was about a year and a half long vacation from collecting. I browsed through some cards after a recent move and really felt the need for a little CU board fix. Reading some of the threads you guys have posted since last time I signed in has really put a smile on my face and gotten me back in the collecting mood. Thank you for all of your amazing posts and incredible sports card knowledge.

All this said - I have a question that has probably been answered in some thread somewhere along the way. But what is the best card holder for the long term storage of singles? I currently have all of my cards in Card Saver 1's, as I've pretty much sold off/given away all of my commons and low grade stuff. Are CS1's safe for long term storage?

Thank you in advance,
Jeff
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• the best thing for storage is a room with constant temperature and humidity. I have a a lot of sets 100 to 150 that I have stored in one room, 200 count bxs to 800 count bxs along with single cards in 1600 & 3200 ct bxs. the most the temp varies is 10 to 15 degrees one way or the other. this is over the last 10 years and have not had any problems. (except for the mice ,rats,dogs,cats and termites chewing and peeing on them but I would say they are all still PSA 9's or 10's) (knock on wood and burn the 87 topps BB wood borders).
    JMHO

LOL had 100 87 topps BB sets at one time all hand collated and sold them all at 5.00 to 19.99 each. Have one set left ifin anybody wants it 19 cents + 13.00 S/H absolutely no returns + I will throw in 2-86 fleer update jose canseco xrc's for free. just joking image
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thank you Diamondman - I appreciate the response. What do you recommend for single cards? I know a lot of people use penny sleeves inside hard cases, but would you favor this over Card Saver 1's?

Jeff

• << <i>Thank you Diamondman - I appreciate the response. What do you recommend for single cards? I know a lot of people use penny sleeves inside hard cases, but would you favor this over Card Saver 1's? >>

I always use the penny sleeves with the card savers & the hard top loaders and always with the 2 piece screw downs for single cards.
    I really have no preference over card savers or top loaders both work very well. matter of fact have my 86 jordan in a penny sleeve & card saver been there for about 2 yrs now (someday I will get it graded).

still have a few sets in 9 pocket (pvc free pages) and binder and laying down flat.

the main worry with cards and unopened packs/boxes is temperature and humidity (lost quite a few 8X10 autographed photos due to temp & humidity ( it got hot and the 8X10s stuck to the plastic and ruined the autographs (live & learn & cry). JMHO
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks again for the input.
    Jeff
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I have all of my 4000+ raw Ripken cards stored in penny sleeves, inside hard top loaders, inside the three-row white storage boxes. I keep them all in my home office, so the temp stays pretty much the same all year round. I only use CS1s for subbing cards to PSA. The hard top loaders I feel are more secure and take up less space. NO SCREW CASES! My opinion...