Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regarding bust dollars. How does the rarity of the die variety affect its value? R-6

tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
Seems like a stupid question but since bust dollars in are already 4-5K in XF would a rare die variety make much of difference? Would an R-6 have a premium or not? A collector friend of mine came across one and called for my opinion. I dont think I was very helpful.

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Matthews at Stack's is a good source of information on bust dollars.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    In general, R-6 does not carry much of a premium for early $, unless it is gorgeous and one of the finest known.

See if you can find out the specific variety, grade, etc. and then I may be able to comment further.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    abitofthisabitofthatabitofthisabitofthat Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭
    I have found that they are all Type up to at least R5. An R6, I am not so sure. An XF R6 may be a condition census coin. So I guess it depends.

merse

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I think it was a B-6 from 1796 or 1797. He said something about a die break over the date. According to the book it was an R-6. Coin was original and in XF 45 condition.
    Thanks for the help

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file