Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I think I found my favorite 1951 Bowman

I was scanning an eBay dealers cards when I came across this great card. Of course I had to buy it. Forget making a photo realistic picture, let's just use a caricature instead! He does seem happy! Does anybody else have any old Bowmans that just do not look right?

Comments

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen that card before. Is it a real '51 Bowman?

Talk about a big head...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭
    There is a story behind that card...but I forget what it was image

<< <i>There is a story behind that card...but I forget what it was image >>

So it's a real card from the Bowman set?

Donato
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

There is a story behind that card...but I forget what it was image
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I dont have that card yet, there is a story but I too forget it. It seems to have a following, I've been an underbidder a few times.
    Yeah, its a real card in the set.

<< <i>Yeah, its a real card in the set. >>

Thanks...Donato

• vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    hilarious, i've never seen it before either, seems to check out based on the other ones on Ebay, thanks for posting...
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Couldn't find anything out about THE CARD, but saw a few interesting items about Mr. Richards.

The Wizard of Waxahachie: Paul Richards and the End of Baseball as We Knew It (Hardcover)
    By Warren Corbett
    $24.95
    Usually Ships in 1-5 days
    Description

One of the most influential—and controversial—figures in baseball of the 1950s, ’60s, and ’70s, Paul Richards was a player, manager, and general manager, a participant in many of the historic changes that marked "the end of baseball as we knew it." Richards managed the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore Orioles—laying the foundation for the Orioles’ championship clubs of the 1960s and 1970s—and built the expansion Houston team from scratch. Best known for inventing the giant mitt for knuckleball catchers, Richards was also the first manager to track on-base percentage and the first to monitor pitch counts. He constantly experimented with tactics and strategies, and he preached the need for constant practice of the game’s fundamentals.

Drawing on Richards’s writings and personal papers, plus previously undiscovered audio recordings, Warren Corbett chronicles the life and times of the baseball wizard who left an indelible mark on America’s national pastime.

About the Author

Warren Corbett was briefly a minor league baseball broadcaster before turning to news reporting. A past winner of the Aviation/Space Writers Association award, he is a contributor to the Society for American Baseball Research's Biography Project at http://bioproj.sabr.org and editor of a trade publication in Washington, D. C.
    Praise for The Wizard of Waxahachie: Paul Richards and the End of Baseball as We Knew It…

"A remarkably thorough and well-researched study of a significant figure in baseball history."—Judith Testa, author of Sal Maglie: Baseball’s Demon Barber

"Paul Richards taught me more baseball than any manager I ever played for. He was a leader and was my mentor on the field and in the front office. I looked up to him and believed in him and my faith was always rewarded. Corbett gives Paul his due at long last."—Eddie Robinson, four-time American League All-Star, former general manager of the Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers

"A fascinating study of one of baseball’s most fascinating figures. This well-researched story of Paul Richards’s sixty years as a genius of the game provides true insight into a remarkable player, manager, and executive who shaped an exciting era of the sport’s history."—Ernie Harwell, winner of the Baseball Hall of Fame’s Ford C. Frick Award for broadcasting

"A fine biography, impressively researched and well written. Corbett captures the full Paul Richards—a true Texan, a complicated, flawed man who was something of a baseball genius. Amajor figure in American baseball history, Richards is in danger of being forgotten, and he shouldn’t be. Corbett’s biography keeps his achievements alive for new generations of baseball fans."—Charles C. Alexander, author of Spoke: A Biography of Tris Speaker
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Yup it's a real card. 1951 Bowman #195. I'd like to know the story behind this!
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    For 1951, Bowman used a card size of 2 1/16” x 3 1/8,” the same width as the year before, but longer. Most of the 324 cards featured vertically oriented player portraits, recreated as color artwork from photographs. 39 cards used a horizontal (landscape) orientation, and among those you’ll find the key cards to the set –Mantle’s true rookie card (#253) and Mays’ true rookie card (#305).

The cards were issued in series, with the high-number cards (#253 - #324) commanding a premium over the rest of the set. Coincidentally, Mantle’s first Topps card would also lead off the high-number series in 1952, and both cards are the most valuable of any regular issue Mantle baseball cards.

Only one card in the entire set used original artwork, and that card (#195) depicts first-year White Sox skipper Paul Richards as a caricature, most likely because he got the job after set production started. Other notable managers in the set included Casey Stengel (#181), Eddie Sawyer (#184), Jimmy Dykes (#226), Leo Durocher (#233), Chuck Dressen (#259), and Bucky Harris (#275).