Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need help Shipping to our Bretheren North of the Border!

Good,
I ship items to Canada weekly, but usually it is a $10-$75 dollar purchase, so I just send normal and take my chances. I just had a new customer buy 6 items totaling $238.00. I checked and his Feedback is 96 at %100 positive and he has bought hundreds from Top Dealers like B E Collectibles, 4 Sharp Corners, Ect. So seems pretty up and up.
I am more worried about Canadian Post Damaging then Buyer claiming not recieved (Although that is always a possibility). Buyer is asking for Invoice...What is my best option and cost to get some measure of CYA?

To further complicate things one item is a Ridgid Uncut Sheet about 12" X 16" in size and 4 items are UnCut Strips of 8 cards about 20" Long.

Thanks
Neil
Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

Comments

• storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

USPS Express Mail International is PayPal compliant.

usps.com

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    For a purchase that size I would ship Express Mail Int, it will probably be around $35 but it's fast, insured, and tracked. $35 may seem like a lot (obviously just have the buyer pay anyways) but it'll probably only be $20 more than Airmail for all that security.

If you want you can ship it to me and I can flip it to him from within Canada (tracking, insured, etc) as that would be cheaper from here... especially if he's in Ontario.

"...If you want you can ship it to me and I can flip it to him from within Canada (tracking, insured, etc) as that would be cheaper from here... especially if he's in Ontario...."

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

That's an interesting concept.

The odd size might not be the best test, but interesting idea.

If done correctly, the scheme should be PayPal compliant AND
    could save the seller/buyer some money.

Since INR-claims are the primary concern on Canadian shipments,
    shipping an item to a trusted agent, who THEN remails using PayPal
    compliant methods might even have some kind of commercial
    possibilities.

Are the delivery details online-viewable with Canadian Post?

Are those details routinely accepted by PayPal?

• be a sport and just hand deliver them otherwise what Storm said is the safest for the seller. image
  • thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Vlad,
    I may take you up on that, let me see what USPS says it will be tomorrow. I am already working this through my mind, I have the two packages already made up, could put peel off label to you, you just take off and then let me know what I owe you, he even mentioned that he wishes that mail from US was as easy as within Canada, Tracking only $1.50, first $100 Insurance included in package, ect.
    In case this goes down that path...Were you serious?
    Thanks
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

<< <i>Vlad,
    I may take you up on that, let me see what USPS says it will be tomorrow. I am already working this through my mind, I have the two packages already made up, could put peel off label to you, you just take off and then let me know what I owe you, he even mentioned that he wishes that mail from US was as easy as within Canada, Tracking only $1.50, first $100 Insurance included in package, ect.
    In case this goes down that path...Were you serious?
    Thanks
    Neil >>

Yeah for sure, I'll pm my address and you can determine if it's worth it when you go to the post office. Logistically, it would be pretty simple.... you ship airmail to me (I'm 30 min from the Can/USA boarder, and 30 minuted from the Int airport it would arrive to), I get it and slap the buyers info on a label over my address (you can send me his address, also this way I don't need to open it or anything), I'll forward the tracking to you (to put in the Paypal transaction page), done deal... Also, where I live I get "Regional Priority" really cheap which covers Toronto to Montreal if that helps.

Storm, yeah details and all scans of the package are available on line and are accepted by Paypal (it's part of the details page that you can select Canada Post from the drop down menu and enter the tracking number).

PM sent Neil.
  • Personally i've never had a problem sending or receiving (other than an occasional border delay)

If a buyer seems on the up and up and understanding the risks(both ways) ~ why not just give them the option of insured and uninsured ???

<< <i>Personally i've never had a problem sending or receiving (other than an occasional border delay)

If a buyer seems on the up and up and understanding the risks(both ways) ~ why not just give them the option of insured and uninsured ??? >>

Morning,
    That's probably what I'll do, Post Office opens in an hour, will have more info after that. Just want to publicly thank Sean (Vadguerro) for his offer whether I use it or not!!image

Neil

"...why not just give them the option of insured and uninsured ??? ..."

/////////////////////////////////////////

Loss or Damage is not the problem with Canadian shipping.

The problem is "proof" of delivery that is PayPal compliant.

But, insurance would cover the seller AFTER he did a bunch
    of claim-filing work.

Maybe that is at least one way to solve the general problem.
    We stop worrying about delivery "proof" and simply insure
    every item; that would be MUCH cheaper than EMI.

If a buyer claims INR, we simply file an insurance claim and
    issue a refund.

<< <i>Morning,
    That's probably what I'll do, Post Office opens in an hour, will have more info after that. Just want to publicly thank Sean (Vadguerro) for his offer whether I use it or not!!image

Neil >>

Anytime...
    Morning,
    Just back from PO, wow the options for the Three packages were almost mind boggling. Bottom line was that the Strips were longer than 24" packaged so at minimum had to go Priority which is $20 US but provides nothing in the way of safety. So I have opted to send the small padded envelope with $25 worth of cards just normal, only $2 bucks. I am home re-packaging the Sheet and Strips into a new combined package whigh was weighed and will be mailed International Express Mail, which provides Tracking and Insurance, and will be $35-$38. I sent invoice to Buyer and gave them a break, charged $30...and agreed to pay anything over that amount.

Neil

Edit: I am now about 99% sure I am wasting all this money on Tracking/Ins./Express Mail, but am still going to do it. Customer paid the Invoive with the $30 shipping within 3 minutes, before I could even finish typing the above !!!!

Neil