Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When did PCGS stop selling those wooden storage boxes?

Hi,

Mr. Spud and I rallied very strongly about 6 or 7 years ago to highlight the dangers of storing slabbed coins in wood boxes. From what I see PCGS no longer sells these boxes. image When did PCGS stop offering them and did they say why?

Best,
Eric

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably about the time they realized that outgassing wood and lacquer weren't exactly the best environment for coin surface conservation.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,

Yes, I think most of us expected that. But did they ever address this or were they quietly retired? The early results if accelerated testing, after much prodding here with polls and so on, were said to show nothing potentially dangerous despite nearly 80% of the room voting otherwise. Thanks. I am proud to have played any small role in getting these boxes pulled - it was the point of my online campaign (to protect coins, not to mess with PCGS).

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I just got a collectors club membership packet with an insert saying you could buy the 20 or 30 coin version.
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

I purchased the smaller of the two sizes in 2004. I used it to
    store a No.1 Registry Mint Set (at the time...). I will often
    take the box from the safe to show the set off. In all of this
    time, I have yet to see any change in color/tone in any one of them.

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

I purchased the smaller of the two sizes in 2004. I used it to
    store a No.1 Registry Mint Set (at the time...). I will often
    take the box from the safe to show the set off. In all of this
    time, I have yet to see any change in color/tone in any one of them. >>

I don;t think things tone as quickly in California. Even my taco bell napkins fail to make changes to a SAE that's been wrapped for 3 years.
  • Options
    I've had my coins stored in a PCGS wooden box for several years and a couple of them are starting to develop the most beautiful blue rim toning that I've ever seen. I don't know if this would have happened without the PCGS box, either way I'm good with it.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>I've had my coins stored in a PCGS wooden box for several years and a couple of them are starting to develop the most beautiful blue rim toning that I've ever seen. I don't know if this would have happened without the PCGS box, either way I'm good with it. >>

Are they Jefferson nickels????

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file