Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1988 D Hot Rod Lincoln

Thanks to my friend Roger I was able to add this extremly scarce 1988-D Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 to my collection.

Pretty nice shape considering it was in circulation for 23+ years.

Comments

• Options
    Snowman24Snowman24 Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    Very nice find , what city and state was it found in ?

i think another one was recently found in MO

some have considered these rarer than 1999 wide am's

was this shown over on Lincoln Cent Resource ? Link

Snowman
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    It was found in New Jersey.
    I think Roger posted the coin at Lincoln Cent Resource Forum a few weeks ago.

I have been looking for one of these since they were first discovered and have been through hundreds and hundreds of boxes of cents,with no joy.

I have managed to find 6 of the 1988-P RDV-006 coins including one thats a MS65

man these are soooooo hard to find.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    right in my back yard . This gives me hope to get one for myself.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    the 1988 D Reverse of 1989 RDV-006 is way more scarce than a 1999 WAM.

POP

99 WAM-NGC-84 Coins
    99 WAM-ANACS 118 Coins
    99 WAM-PCGS.......?

1988 D RDV-006-ANACS-3 Coins
    1988 D RDV-006-NGC-Variety not recognized yet....POP 0
    1988 D RDV-006-PCGS-Not sure but i dont think they recognize them yet either....POP 0?

I watch for these very closely and as far as i can tell,there are less than 10 known.
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    wow, I did not know about this one...very nice and not in the cherrypickers guide. I'll have to keep my eye out. thanks
    figglehorn
  • Options
    I wish I knew what I wa slooking for in my collection of thousands and thousands of pennies. Thats why I am afraid to put thme back in circulation. I am afraid I might miss something.

So what is it I am looking for in this 1988D?
    What does 1989 RDV-006 mean?
    abnd
    1999 WAM.?

What to do with all my worthless pennies. image
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting and more info would be great if you have details on the variety. What does "hot rod" mean in this case?
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Link Click the link and you will find your answers.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    LOL......Hot Rod Lincoln is a song by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen.

Ernest (Jim Varney) sang it at the end of "The Beverly Hillbillys" (The movie,not the TV series) and he was GOOD TOO!

Hot Rod Lincoln does not mean anything actually related to this coin.

just my warped sense of humor.
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL......Hot Rod Lincoln is a song by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen. >>

The original was recorded in 1955 by Charlie Ryan and The Livingston Brothers (it was an "answer" song to the 1951 hit Hot Rod Race by Arkie Shibley and his Mountain Dew Boys).

The Commander Cody version is actually quite faithful to the original, though with greatly improved recording technology.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    moneycrab......learn about WAM's and CAM's here:

WAM and CAM
  • Options
    I see so finding post 1992 business stirkes ( i guess that means circulated?) in Wide AM is a good thing?
  • Options
    these are the WAM's (Business strikes) you want to find:

These 3 years are supposed to be close AM's (CAM's)....so if you find one with a WAM.....you found a keeper.

someone claimed to have found a 1996 or a 1997 WAM but i think it was a hoax.None have ever been certified.

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might have to page through some penny boxes at a show for the heck of it now....just one more thing to take up my day and annoy my wife with. THANKS!
  • Options

<< <i>these are the WAM's (Business strikes) you want to find:

These 3 years are supposed to be close AM's (CAM's)....so if you find one with a WAM.....you found a keeper.

someone claimed to have found a 1996 or a 1997 WAM but i think it was a hoax.None have ever been certified. >>

Thanks for your help.

So for the original poster of this thread his 1988 D is a WAM that should be a CAM? Or was his/her find entirely something else?

Thanks
    MC
  • Options
    regarding the 1988 P+D RDV-006 Coins...................

check out the link provided by CoinCrazyPA

• Options
    Wowza. Hey are there any books that reflect these types of varieties, errors or things to look for that are out of the ordinary etc specific to the Lincoln cent that is recommended.

Thanks and sorry for all the newb ???'s
  • Options
    moneycrab:

get a copy of "The Cherrypickers Guide"

and Watch the VarietyVista website.

the RDV-006 coins are not in the cherrypickers book...........yet.

i am sure they will be in the new edition.

you can learn alot here too:

CopperCoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file