Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

10 can 1998 Pinnacle Inside break- pictures & MOJO

So we're packing up a large chunk of our house in preparation to sell it. I was going through a bunch of stuff in the hallway closet and found a box of stuff I'd forgotten about. Inside were these unsearched gems:

Cool! I bet there's some really cool stuff in here. Let's have a look!

Comments

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Mike! Mike! Tell us how you feel about your 2-4 performance against the Phillies!
    "I'm not gay."
    <awkward silence>
    ooooooohhh...Matt Williams (and a bunch of other dudes that haven't played in years)

10th can revealed a golden tone to the lid after I took it off. I'd have a picture of the golden lid, but I threw it in the trash and didn't feel like digging down to the garbage juice to retrieve it. Y'all will have to take my word for it. Anywho, I knew that some serious MOJO was waiting.

yeah, that's right - gaze in awe at the shiny rainbowy die-cut glory that is JOSE CRUZ JR.

<sigh>
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    That doesn't encourage me to open the dozen plus McGwire cans I have.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    So I pretty much understand why I was able to buy this crap in '05 for $0.79 a can. Pretty much underwhelming.

• melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Remember the old Heinz Catsup commercial where the guy was sitting at a table with the catsup bottle in a pouring position. While he waited for the catsup to come out a song was playing in the background, "Anticipation."

Weren't they fun to open and the anticpation of what you might find?

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • The cans are nice collectibles... For $0.79 it really is not too bad. I am right now looking at a Derek Jeter can it is now in use and has been holding my pencils and pens on my computer desk. I opened this can back when I was in the second grade!

Ryan image
    1938 Cartledge Boxing cards psa 7 - psa 10
    1951 Topps Red backs psa 8 only!
    1960 Golden Press Presidential set Psa 8 's - Psa 9's
    1961 Golden Press psa 9's
    1976 Topps baseball psa 9 Stars
    1980 Kelloggs baseball Psa 9's - Psa 10's
    1988-1989 Fleer Basketball psa 9's
    1988-1989 Fleer Stickers psa 9's
    1989-1990 Fleer Basketball psa 10's
    1992 Coca-Cola Donruss Nolan Ryan 1-26 Psa 10 only Gpa 9.80++ E-mail [email protected]
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who's now in the mood for some Dinty Moore beef stew?
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    The diamond collection cards are nice hits if you get one. Otherwise its kinda crap. I have seen complete sets sell ok though as nobody, I mean nobody has put one together image
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭
    They're fun until someone loses a finger trying to open the can, or digging a gold lid out of the recycling bin.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Geordie...

I remember opening a can that I picked up at the Px - don't remember anything about the set.
    Mike
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Card-in-a-can...it's shame that idea didn't take off image
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you got any Ron Gant or Bernie Williams inserts? Those have been tough to find for my player collections.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    I will always fondly remember the late 90's when a glut of products competing for collector's coin brought phenomenal innovation to the hobby... game used gear and autographs became a requirement for any product.

Die-cuts, sequentially numbered inserts culminating with 1/1 cards, sometimes overwhelming arrays of parallels, acetate cards, lenticular motion cards, and other new offerings as companies escalated the card wars.

As a player collector at the time, I loved products like Pinnacle Inside Cans, Pinnacle Mint Coins, and Donruss Preferred Tins because they were easier to display than cards resigned hidden away in albums or monster boxes.

I don't know if it is lack of competition, lack of collector interest, or if everything has been done already... but it seems the past few years there has been little in the way of innovation.

As I get closer to finishing up some of my graded vintage sets and additions get fewer and farther between, I have been having a blast putting together some of my favorite insert & parallel sets from this era.

Snorto~
  • HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Cool! Somehow I missed that they put cards in cans! I probably would've stocked up on the stuff, so it's better that I didn't know...

Thanks for sharing something I've never seen before!

<< <i>Any chance you got any Ron Gant or Bernie Williams inserts? Those have been tough to find for my player collections. >>

I just checked - no cards of either one of them