Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ebay , can anyone top this ?

I sold several coins last week on the bay as i had a deal going for 1/2 oz gold and needed to raise some cash in paypal , auctions all ended wednesday the 23rd.Out of 20 auctions by next morning only two hadnt payed so i checked out the feedback and decided i would ship anyway and trust them for payment , based on the feedback they have.
Within a day or two one of them paid leaving one person who hadnt.

I get a message on monday saying i wasnt forgotten and payment would be forthcoming , the item was a 1oz silver government issued .999 round , i got another message today asking if i had anymore of these and would i be willing to sell them to this buyer who hasnt paid for the one he has yet , better yet he suggested the price and shipping costs and undercuts the price he bid by $5.

Ive not been paid and now he wants to buy cheaper outside of ebay but from me , once again as a seller my feedback ratings are on the chopping block because of one muppet.

Comments

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I sold several coins last week on the bay as i had a deal going for 1/2 oz gold and needed to raise some cash in paypal , auctions all ended wednesday the 23rd.Out of 20 auctions by next morning only two hadnt payed so i checked out the feedback and decided i would ship anyway and trust them for payment , based on the feedback they have.
    Within a day or two one of them paid leaving one person who hadnt.

I get a message on monday saying i wasnt forgotten and payment would be forthcoming , the item was a 1oz silver government issued .999 round , i got another message today asking if i had anymore of these and would i be willing to sell them to this buyer who hasnt paid for the one he has yet , better yet he suggested the price and shipping costs and undercuts the price he bid by $5.

Ive not been paid and now he wants to buy cheaper outside of ebay but from me , once again as a seller my feedback ratings are on the chopping block because of one muppet. >>

You are absolutely insane for doing that. I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Shipping without payment is an open invitation to trouble.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The buyer has ruined it for the rest that buy from me as now i have to reconsider my methods of operation.Where i live its a real hassle getting to the post office so often ive shipped before payment with no problems.Because it was a .999 round i thought..why not , will people really screw up their ebay history for 30 bucks ya know.
    I can see now that theres no way i can affect his history , yet he can keep the coin without paying if i dont come up with the right answer as to if theres others for less money.Its a pain because obviously there is , i have several listed.

Thanks for the good wishes though.
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    I can't imagine shipping before payment is received unless you knew the buyer well.

In your situation, I would give it another day or two before filing a NPB claim.
  • Options

<< <i>Shipping without payment is an open invitation to trouble.

image >>

Thanks Lee , its all the BS ebay brought in about shipping , if people dont get the item sharpish my rating goes downhill and i lose my 20% discount , that and its difficult to get to the post office without having to go multiple times , i guess from here out its BIN with instant payment which i believe will cause my sales to slump.
  • Options

<< <i>I can't imagine shipping before payment is received unless you knew the buyer well.

In your situation, I would give it another day or two before filing a NPB claim. >>

I looked at his feedback and it seemed ok , the way its always worked before is i see payment within a day or two , its backfired this time.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    He's probably awaiting your response so he can consolidate payment into one PayPal transaction. Tell him that he can buy as many of the ones you have listed on eBay and that you'll provide a shipping discount on the quantity. Then wait until he pays before shipping the items. image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you pay for postage online, you can just drop the package in any mail box, or hand it to your local carrier. No need to wait in line or even go to the PO...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭
    Have you tried politely declining his offer and asking that he just pay for what he has won?
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I shipped a very inexpensive coin before getting paid ONCE. I told the buyer I was shipping anyway as I would be going out-of-town and wouldn't get to a PO.....A week later, when I requested payment, the buyer said he MUST HAVE paid me as he has the coin !
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes. Tell him you don't have any more and that you are going on vacation tomorrow so to please pay promptly to avoi significant delays.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch.. never ship without payment. i like some of the advice already given, respectfully ask the buyer to remit and tell him that you've sold out but will keep him in mind for future sales (yeah... right... image )
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned why are you going to the Post office? It costs me about a gallon of gas to get there and back. It is a little over twenty miles and the truck always uses a little extra warming up.
    PayPal online postage labels with delivery confirmation can go into the drop box at the end of the road out here and it makes a nice morning walk. That’s still about mile. And if I have enough items I just send them an email to come and pick them up at the house. This works when I have more than will fit in the box or have flat rate boxes that do not fit into it.

And you really need to remember the first rule of eBay. Don't ship if they dan't pay!!!!!!
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much feedback did the guy have for you to feel okay to ship to? Dangerous unless huge feedback and even then dangerous.
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For years I've shipped 100s of coins with payment pending via eBay and have not once been burned. You should be fine.

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>Yikes. Tell him you don't have any more and that you are going on vacation tomorrow so to please pay promptly to avoi significant delays. >>

There are a number of ways to handle the sitaution without lying. I think that was terrible advice.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I looked at his feedback and it seemed ok , the way its always worked before is i see payment within a day or two , its backfired this time. >>

You realize buyer feedback is meaningless? The guy could be screwing sellers left and right and he'll still show 100%.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't imagine shipping before payment is received unless you knew the buyer well.

In your situation, I would give it another day or two before filing a NPB claim. >>

I looked at his feedback and it seemed ok , the way its always worked before is i see payment within a day or two , its backfired this time. >>

I have had sellers a few I have never dealt with send coins before payment. I was waiting to pay for one in order to bid on another ending in two days and the coin arrived the same day I was planning on bidding for the other. He offer free shipping and i was going to save him some money. Anyway not that unusual for me.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Have you tried politely declining his offer and asking that he just pay for what he has won? >>

If you ship more stuff to this person without receiving payment first, the person might (1) never pay you, or (2) hold the coins "for ransom" and demand an even lower price (which he is apparently doing with the item he already has). Therefore, you're probably best to just insist on finishing the transaction on the item he won. If he doesn't pay, then go thru the NPB process. Just my opinion.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file