Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

am I covered as a buyer via paypal in this scenario?

I negotiated to buy a $100 item with an ebay seller , off ebay. He sent me a paypal invoice for the item amount which I paid. What sort of buyer protection do I have in this scenario? The item was classified as a 'service' on the paypal invoice.

thanks
John
Collecting
HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS

Comments

• leathtechleathtech Posts: 3,191
    maybe some if you paid with a CC - but I think the paypal protection only applies to ebay.
  • jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    No coverage...applies to ebay only.

Good luck.

Jeff
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I negotiated to buy a $100 item with an ebay seller , off ebay. He sent me a paypal invoice for the item amount which I paid. What sort of buyer protection do I have in this scenario? The item was classified as a 'service' on the paypal invoice.

thanks
    John >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Under the "merchandise" classification, you are covered for INR.

"Service" = No Coverage via PayPal, but you might try a credit
    card chargeback. Slim chance, but possible.

If a seller will encourage a buyer to rip EBAY, the seller will/may
    also rip the buyer.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    "If a seller will encourage a buyer to rip EBAY, the seller will/may also rip the buyer."

He said "I negotiated to buy a $100 item with an Ebay seller , off ebay.

How do you know the seller encouraged the off Ebay negotiation? Many intelligent buyers know that Ebay charges fees and if the seller doesn't have to pay fees then it means they can buy the card at a lower price and maybe they can use the money more than Ebay. They know how to contact the seller and ask for their best price. Taking it off Ebay benefits the buyer more than the seller in most cases. With no attempt at an accurate %, if the card was sold on Ebay for $110 it would net the seller $100. If the buyer contacts the seller off Ebay he is told $100 for the card. The seller sees the same $100 but the buyer ends up saving himself $10. It's the same for buyers who complain about BING taking their 10% discount away. You can still get your 10% off by avoiding Ebay and contacting the seller directly.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Not sure he meant 'the seller' simply said 'a' seller.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"If a seller will encourage a buyer to rip EBAY, the seller will/may also rip the buyer."

He said "I negotiated to buy a $100 item with an Ebay seller , off ebay.

How do you know the seller encouraged the off Ebay negotiation? Many intelligent buyers know that Ebay charges fees and if the seller doesn't have to pay fees then it means they can buy the card at a lower price and maybe they can use the money more than Ebay. They know how to contact the seller and ask for their best price. Taking it off Ebay benefits the buyer more than the seller in most cases. With no attempt at an accurate %, if the card was sold on Ebay for $110 it would net the seller $100. If the buyer contacts the seller off Ebay he is told $100 for the card. The seller sees the same $100 but the buyer ends up saving himself $10. It's the same for buyers who complain about BING taking their 10% discount away. You can still get your 10% off by avoiding Ebay and contacting the seller directly. >>

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I might better have said:

"If a seller will encourage or ALLOW a buyer to rip EBAY, the seller will/may also rip the buyer."

But, parsing culpability was not part of the OP's question. My
    bash of the seller was a shoe that either party could wear, if
    they choose to, AND a "warning" that sellers who will violate
    their agreement with EBAY will/may also harm buyers.

BOTH sellers/buyers are engaging in improper conduct when
    they use EBAY to make contact and then rip EBAY.

It is VERY easy to move EBAY buyers off of EBAY, after the
    initial-contact sale has been completed. There is no need to
    cheat EBAY out of a few bucks; the customer can be captured
    on subsequent sales.

The listing is part of a contract that entitles EBAY to collect a fee
    from the seller. Stealing the customer that EBAY delivered is a
    breach of that contract; and, a TOS-violation by both buyer/seller.

That EBAY is, arguably, an Evil/RICO-Empire, does not inspire
    me to want to steal a few dollars from them. Larger remedies
    appeal to me, but not that one.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • I think Storm answered the OP question but the changes eBay is making in September (anynomous e-maill address) will make off-eBay transactions much harder to do. Therefore, many sellers will be forced to list these items and allow eBay to take their cut. I understand why they are doing it since they are probably losing lots of money from these off-site transactions but it feels like they are just making it harder (more work in creating auctions) for sellers to move their stuff.
    WANTLIST
    1992 Topps FB Golds (72% complete)
    1997 Topps FB Minted in Canton (10% complete)
    1999 Topps FB Record Numbers Gold (80% complete)
    2001 Topps FB MVP Promotion (35% complete)