Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

any value in sports cards?

Is there any value in sports cards anymore? I remember when I was little back in the 90's when they were hot!! Most of my cards are 80's and 90's with lots of rookies during that period! I have upwards of a few thousand cards!! I wonder if the market will ever get back up to where i was in the 90's for sports cards. I wonder how much I could overload my collection for? any opinions or comments are appreciated!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

Comments

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    They generally do not even have enough value that a charity would accept them. I often dump them at Goodwill and run before they see what's in the bags. Others use them for kindling.
  • pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    He's not joking!

<< <i>They generally do not even have enough value that a charity would accept them. I often dump them at Goodwill and run before they see what's in the bags. Others use them for kindling. >>

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I concur with the other posts, 90's cards, except for some rare insights and autos, are worthless. Good luck overloading your collection.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    What exactly does it mean to overload a collection? It almost sounds like you're trying to add MORE 90's cards to your collection in an attempt to overwhelm it with mediocrity.

-Michael
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Worthless little pictures of men on cardboard.

Selling my sportscard collection and collecting coins with my kids.
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    You can barely give that stuff away:
    17 cents a set

• << <i>You can barely give that stuff away:
    17 cents a set >>

You have to factor shipping into that price, so they are worth 68 cents a setimage
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if they were handed down and kept for a hundred yrs - they will still be overproduced pieces of paper.

I collected with my son during the boom - so the fun we had - the memories - the father/son connection - that intrinsic value will always be there for me.

Meanwhile - part of the closet is filled with crap that I have no idea what to do with - there isn't a card shop anywhere near our house - so I can only infer that collecting in my neck of the woods isn't very popular.

Still, my favorite set from the early 90s is the 92F Ultra and the 92TSC - for the first time photos were off the chart sweet - and the full bleed Stadium Club looked pretty darn smart.

I guess that's the beauty of the relative intrinsic value of coin collecting - however on the otherhand - we'll be kept warm in the next ice-age - all that really neat kindling. image
    Mike
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there any value in sports cards anymore? I remember when I was little back in the 90's when they were hot!! Most of my cards are 80's and 90's with lots of rookies during that period! I have upwards of a few thousand cards!! I wonder if the market will ever get back up to where i was in the 90's for sports cards. I wonder how much I could overload my collection for? any opinions or comments are appreciated! >>

Keep the cards for childhood memories...and that basically is the only value.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I keep only the Yankees and some of the cards that I remeber being hot at the time for the memories. (88 Gregg Jefferies, 90 black and white Bo Jackson...) The rest I either give to my sister in law to give to her safehome kids or leave them by rthe front door at the local card show so that someone might take them.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • TUFF STUFF magazine once described the late 80's card craze as: "a pathetic period of overproduction".
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    How about beanie babies? I saved my daughter's collection in the basement, waiting to cash in.
    Capecards
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    The shame is that most cards from the late 1980's and early 1990's will NEVER be worth anything. If you had a time machine that went 1000 years into the future, you still could not sell them.

The saddest part is that if you had collected NASCAR during that time period, you would be sitting on a gold mine.

On a daily basis, I have people come into my store to sell cards and every single one of them has cards from this era and are "only" wanting what they paid for them, its tough convincing them that their cards have zero value.

The only exception is the person who came into the store last week with a 1968 Mantle, a 1968 Pete Rose, a 1971 Nolan Ryan and 2 or 3 1933 Goudey commons. Of course the Goudey commons had more wrinkles than my grandmother butt and the other three were so rounded, I could put them on my car and drive on them. She only wanted HALF BOOK for them, meaning $175 for the Mantle etc etc. I showed her recent ebay sales of Mantles in BETTER condition that went for $30-$40 and she still though I was trying to rip her off.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    WOW, can't believe my early upper deck cards are not going to help me put my kids thru college.....the dealer said they would when I bought them....he even convinced me to invest in those new fangled frenchy hookey cards....you know pothead and jagger and czerman and the rest of them stars...
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    Well there are still tons of 1990's inserts out there that were rare that still have value
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    thanks for the bigger version. was lookin for a pic of that
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks for the bigger version. was lookin for a pic of that >>

Reason you wasn't finding it was because I made it and have only used it in limited places.

Please send $100 to my PayPal account ASAP to help with the time it took me to make the image. image
  • What about my garbage pail kids?
    Darn shame all the money that went into the hype of those 80's/90's cards.
    I have so many of them.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    POGS!
    Mike
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Sports card and POGS - at least where I live - can be put out with the recycling on garbage day.