Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp 1644 Oxford Unite

Poll closed. A description about the coin and better picture below.

They are both slightly different varieties. The first one has a shorter olive branch and the second one doesn't have a large medallion and the armour is plain below the hilt of the sword.

Coin A

Coin B

Comments

• Options
    OchoRealesOchoReales Posts: 1,500
    7 v. 9 leaves? Love them! Yours?
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Top one was listed as Spink 2737 in the Millennia auction but I have my doubts as a S-2737 should have the "deceleration" on the rev. in a straight line like the Shilling.

If you scroll down to the third image you'll see what I mean:
    http://www.petitioncrown.com/SHILLING_HAMMERED.html

It is rumoured that the reverse of S-2737 was actually struck using a Shilling die.

The second coin is a Spink 2735 "Kings elbow not visible, but longer olive branch curving to 1. 1644/ OX: mm plume ...."
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    "B" But since I do not collect them or have no knowledge of them my vote should have little if any weight in determining the best of the offerings...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    7 v. 9 leaves? Love them! Yours?

Sorry I couldn't reply before Ocho but I didn't want to sway the vote.

The second one is my new purchase. Its raw and I've been doing some searching online and stumbled on the Millennia one so decided a poll would be fun.
  • Options
    Charles I

The Oxford mint was only set up for a handful of years during the Civil War, when Charles I made Oxford his headquarters, as London and the Mint there were held by Parliament.

Coincraft 1998 says:

"These issues are easily identifiable by the reverse design which has the Deceleration with the date below and plumes above.
    All these issues are very rare, but specimens for collectors do exist outside museums. The issues are extremely crude in style and often have weakness in the legends due to the poor strike. Specimens exist from VG to VF condition."

The deceleration on the reverse:
    RELIG : PROT : LEG : ANG : LIBER : PAR

“To uphold the Protestant Religion, the Laws of England and the
    Liberty of Parliament”

1644 Oxford mint, Charles I Unite. Spink 2735, same dies as Schneider 325, Brooker 853.

I'm not the best photographer around and found this coin hard to image properly. It has lots of lustre and die polisshing lines (which are raised and run below the devices) on both the reverse and obverse which can be seen next to the plumes on the reverse.

A good little write up on Unites:
    http://www.24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=unitehistoryof.html
  • Options
    How can you not love that coin. image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    different varieties- own both

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    hi hus

been out of circulation a couple of months, how are u, great coins u have posted, which is yours?

got beaton to death with emails and need to load 67 coins on my site image horrible. loaded a few a few days ago

what is new

j
    www.petitioncrown.com
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

I'm good thanks, nice to hear from you. You sound snowed under.

The first one isn't my coin, it was sold at the Millennia Auction for a hammer price of $22,000 and is graded NGC AU58. It was listed as Spink 2737, which would have made it the second most valuable type in Spink. I don't believe it is a S-2737 "deceleration on the rev. in a straight line" . I think it might be a S-2735A or a type that is not listed in Spink. Anyone else have an opinion of its type?

The second one is mine (black background). It's a Spink 2735 and is currently raw.

Regards,
    Hus