Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

?s about selling a huge lot of Sports Illustrateds

I've got six boxes of these that I would like to sell, probably on Craigslist because trying to ship them would be too much work. I've got pretty much all the 1990s covers and a few newer ones too. There's only a few Jordans and they aren't in great shape but I do have first covers of Jeter, Tiger, Sampras, Griffey, Lebron James, Garnett, Peyton Manning and about a dozen swimsuit issues in this group of about 400 issues. I'm hoping to get something out of them but am not looking to get top dollar, just want to move them out so both parties are happy. What do you think a fair price would be?

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Do they have the addresses on the cover? How many can you fit in a flat-rate box? What years do they range from?
  • byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do they have the addresses on the cover? How many can you fit in a flat-rate box? What years do they range from? >>

Yes, they have addresses. I could probably fit 15 in a flat rate box I'm guessing but hoping to move in one lot to avoid having to sort them all out.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    In my limited experience buying and selling SIs, I know the ones with the addresses on the front sell for much less than ones without.
  • larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭
    In my limited expereince you are better off keeping a few you like, selling a very few individually on Ebay, and throwing (or giving) the rest away. What I did was gave them to a bunch of my friends who like sports. I gave them ones with players/teams they like on the cover. Some fun articles that are a fun read 10-20 years later. Then they could throw them away. We all kept them back in the day so they aren't rare.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    Sadly, a collection of Sports Illustrated for Kids from the '90s would net you a couple thousand. SIs don't have quite as large of a market because kids weren't tearing them up. Adults were saving them to cash in one day.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Sadly, a collection of Sports Illustrated for Kids from the '90s would net you a couple thousand. SIs don't have quite as large of a market because kids weren't tearing them up. Adults were saving them to cash in one day. >>

You see many of the individual SI kids cards selling well also..despite ugly designs and terrible perforation that leaves furry edges.

I could use the normal Steve Young Sports Illustrateds without labels. eBay might have 50 of each copy and none without labels, or at least they did not a few days ago.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Much like cards from the 90's, save for fireplace.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭

<< <i>Sadly, a collection of Sports Illustrated for Kids from the '90s would net you a couple thousand. SIs don't have quite as large of a market because kids weren't tearing them up. Adults were saving them to cash in one day. >>

In my research, there are no SI for Kids cards worth much besides the 96 Woods and the 97 Bryant. I have pretty much all of them from the beginning to around 94. I am always checking past sales to see if any of those are in demand but they aren't. My theory is that the production for the magazine must have been way down in 96-97 for those two cards to have the demand that they do.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I love crappy SI's so I can cut the pictures out and not feel guilty about defacing a nice issue.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.