Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help with 1965 SMS Quarter possible error coin.... Interesting Stirations on reverse

Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
Picked up this quarter of some mint sets. This one has very interesting die stirations at the point of a strike through probably grease. What are your thoughts on it. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

2 Reverse upclose pics taken with different lighting.

Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like roller marks on the planchet strip.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like roller marks on the planchet strip.
    TD >>

Wouldn't you expect to see these on the obverse as well Tom?

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I have an ike with similar lines but on this coin the lines are only where the strike through occured? Is this considered an error coin? Probably minimal value but then again I had a silver Ike buisness strike with a strike through obv that brought decent money.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Any other help on this coin would be appreciated.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like roller marks on the planchet strip.
    TD >>

Wouldn't you expect to see these on the obverse as well Tom?

>>

You could have a problem with one roller that did not affect the opposing roller.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really tough to tell from the picture but I do suspect that CaptHenway has
    it right. Note how the marking is weaker in the fields where the metal is deform-
    ed more by the dies. This is typical for stock and planchet problems.

In 1965 all the cu/ ni clad was "explosion bonded". The sheets of metal that made
    up the stock was placed in a high tonnage press and dynamite exploded above it
    to complete the bonding process. There were lots of problems in the early years
    and especially 1965. Most of the SMS planchets were just standard planchets but,
    I suspect, most were not roughed up as much for coining and a few were polished.

From the picture it's tough to tell.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file