Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Peace Dollar Book Question

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is the newer red book guide to the Peace dollar worth having?

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely. The research that went into it was immense, and there is a lot of good information in it. The section on the 1964-D dollars is awesome, and the study of the 1922 proof and business strikes is great also.

Then again, I was a contributor, so I'm biased image.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well worth having
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly recommend it. -- Check out RWB's forum posts...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    erwindoc --

Send me a PM if you have any questions about the book.

RWB
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the newer red book guide to the Peace dollar worth having? >>

...was this the bower's book?
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Burdette's book is definitely worth buying. I bought a copy even though I own just 1 Peace dollar.
    It is part of the Bowers' series, but not all of these books were written by Q. D. Bowers.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will have to take a closer look at that image
  • Options
    The “Guide Book of Peace Dollars” is lucky number 13 in the Bowers' Red Book series! Virtually all the research is original and much of it never published before. It’s the only book dedicated to Peace dollars.

Several PCGS and NGC board members generously contributed photos and other information which greatly enhances the book’s value to collectors. It even has background information on Mel Wacks’ countermarked Peace dollars.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about this book mentioned in the reference book thread

Peace One Dollar (Silver) (1921-1964)

Q David Bowers - Enclycopedia of United States Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars (2v, 1993)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly I read books to see what's in them, for future reference.

This book I actually read - highly recommended.

The section on 1921 strike characteristics alone is worth the price of admission.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>what about this book mentioned in the reference book thread

Peace One Dollar (Silver) (1921-1964)

Q David Bowers - Enclycopedia of United States Silver Dollars and Trade Dollars (2v, 1993) >>

The Bowers two-volume set is aging (17 yrs...) and not everything should be considered reasonably current. The hardbound volumes have been selling on the secondary market for $300-$700, depending on condition. Cheaper alternatives include getting Burdette's book plus two other books by Bowers---on Morgan dollars (3rd Ed., part of the Bowers series noted above), and a general reference on U. S. silver dollars (Zyrus Press, I think). Both are paperbacks, and should run ca. $40-$50 for both.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    The Peace Dollar book was published in Nov. 2008 - two years after the linked thread.

Bowers' Encyclopedia was published in 1992 and its coverage of Peace dollars is largely outdated. Most of the strictly factual statements (mintage, etc.) and QDB's opinions on availability remain useful. Pricing is badly outdated.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    If you're interested in looking at Bowers' Silver Dollar Encyclopedia for free - it's now available electronically on the PCGS website.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    LOL! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights