Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this legal on ebay?????

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was winning an auction at a low price, which was supposed to end around 7:00 in the morning.

The seller just ended it and relisted it for 9 days??

What's the deal?????

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Legal, they can do anything they want.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

I've done the same. If a coin is going for a crappy price, end and re-list. Of course it's legal, the seller owns the coin until sold.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Likely a violation, but more info is needed. Do you have a link to the ended auction and the new one?

edited to add... it's possible to do something that's both legal and a violation of eBay policy.
  • Options

So if it's not going as good as they want.....they can just pull it???!!!
  • Options

<< <i>So if it's not going as good as they want.....they can just pull it???!!! >>

They're not supposed to, but it's not all that different from a buyer deciding he bid too much and he's not paying- not much you can do about it.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he made a mistake? what was the auction number?
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    Seems to me the seller shouldn't be able to do this.

IF he wants a certain price then start it there!!!
  • Options
    How about a link to the auctions?
  • Options
    Forget it................there's nothing I can do!
  • Options

<< <i>Forget it................there's nothing I can do! >>

Okay, but without a link, there's no way anybody can be sure if the seller has done anything wrong or not.
  • Options
    Someone already said it's legal.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not right but they do it. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone already said it's legal. >>

What they said may not be true. But without further info, we'll never know.
  • Options
    I don't know how to link to things.

It was just ended and relisted. There's nothing to see.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    While i agree that you should, "List it and leave it", i can also see a person selling a 2000 dollar coin thinking it is going to end up at 100 bucks due to some.....
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legal? Most likely, yes.
    Ethical? No.
    Unless the seller had a dang good reason (ie...a mistake), then it is morally poor.
    They likely did it because they were scared that the price wouldn't be where they wanted/needed it.
    They also don't "man up" to using a starting reserve or BIN at a price they are willing to accept (that's how I did some of mine awhile back where I knew that the market relied on the right eyes, at the right time, and I refused to take less than a certain amount...sure, I paid a little more in fees, but I factored that in as well).

If you are going to bid again, I understand not putting the link. If you aren't, then not putting the link is bad form, imho, since you brought the whole issue up.
    By putting the link, you may find out that the seller is known for this, or that there are likely reasons, etc. It's a chance to tell others as well as to possibly learn for yourself.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>I don't know how to link to things.

It was just ended and relisted. There's nothing to see. >>

Well, like Bochiman said- without seeing the listings, it's not possible to answer your original question:

Is this legal on ebay?????
  • Options
    okracerokracer Posts: 436

<< <i>I don't know how to link to things.

It was just ended and relisted. There's nothing to see. >>

If you just post the new ebay item listing number, we can find it and trace back to the ended listing.

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller owns the item and has the right to end the auction for whatever reason they deem fit...they are certainly not obligated to sell the coin to you at a bargain price unless the auction runs its course with you as the winner, which was not the case. No point in whining about it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The seller owns the item and has the right to end the auction for whatever reason they deem fit... >>

That may well be, but ending an auction for some reasons can be an eBay policy violation.
  • Options
    The name of the seller is skettledork. Approriate(sp)

He has a 98% Positive feedback with 4 negs in last 12 months.
  • Options
    skittledork has been mentioned here before. They may even be a board members.

-Paul
  • Options

<< <i>The name of the seller is skettledork. Approriate(sp)

. >>

That name doesn't show up on Ebay.

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    When I see this, I never bid on the relisted item.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The seller owns the item and has the right to end the auction for whatever reason they deem fit... >>

That may well be, but ending an auction for some reasons can be an eBay policy violation. >>

Exactly! If you are going to just sell a coin, then, I agree the seller can decide what is too little or what is enough money.
    If the seller chooses to use a venue, such as ebay, they should man up and follow the guidelines/rules set out. It isn't that hard to set a reserve or start the price at what you want. Not doing so means you should let the auction run and not end/relist.
    It's a poor seller (not in the $$$ but in the moral department) to start an auction, wimp out when a price isn't where they want it within a certain amount of time, and then pull the auction only to relist it.
    Not a seller that is worth buying from as they already show 1 negative trait....who knows how many more they have that you may run into....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Link to previous thread.

BST Link. The seller is a board member.

-Paul
  • Options
    Sorry, I mispelled it.

skittledork
  • Options

Was it this one?

Ebay link

• Options
    That's the one.
  • Options
    I am not a advocate for ending auctions early, but ebay rules allow a seller to end an auction early as long as he is not doing so to circumvent ebay fees and sell the item off ebay. That is why there is a link to end the auction early with a number of different reasons to choose from, one of which is "the item is no longer available for sale." As a buyer, it is irritating to see an auction you are following end early, but not nearly as irritating as those auctions that run their course with artificial shill bidding to prop up the final price..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I have no problem with the seller wanting a certain price for a coin. After all he owns it.

Just start it out there or use the BIN option.

You shouldn't be able to just end an auction.

JMHO!!!
  • Options
    Reasons for ending a listing early- The fine print

"Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be a reserve price violation."
  • Options
    Reasons for ending a listing early- The fine print

"Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale price. This is considered to be a reserve price violation."

That would be pretty difficult to prove..since the seller can simply claim he changed his mind or that there was an error in the listing...but ebay doesn't care anyway, since the listing fees are non-refundable anyway. They certainly don't care about shill bidding which is a much more serious violations, so why would they care about an auction ending early?

• Options

<< <i>That would be pretty difficult to prove.. >>

Sure would. Never claimed otherwise. image

Of course, eBay has access to more past history info to work with than anyone here does, so you never know... image

edited to add... in this thread, I've just been addressing the question asked in the title. Clearly, there are difficulties in accurately identifying the reason any auction was ended, but that is beyond the scope of the original question: "Is this legal on ebay?????"
  • Options
    < That would be pretty difficult to prove.. >>

Sure would. Never claimed otherwise.

Of course, eBay has access to more past history info to work with than anyone here does, so you never know...

I'd agree with that...and if a seller was chronically canceling his auctions early, I'm sure the odds would increase that some action would be taken.

• Options

He "changed his mind" because it was still way low with a few hours to go!image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Had he ridden it out, if bidders had snipers set
    it may have sold for what he hoped for.

Not a good thing to do (pull any item & re-list) but ....
    it's "done" & within sellers' rights - if pulled before the
    12 hour left to go mark - unless ebay policy has changed.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think most coin sellers realize that snipers will take the coin to decent price in last few seconds for decent material

the seller messed up the title which could not be changed after bids placed

they ended it with "best offer" which does not jive with auctions
    but a carryover from their BIN/best offer of $350 auction

even more previous BIN

and when they changed it to action. they meant to say 'FREE SHIPPING', which they do now
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    << the seller messed up the title which could not be changed after bids placed >>

Makes sense.
  • Options
    Seller was being slimy, imho.
    Looking at his past history, the 4 negs he received were all for not delivering. Seller's excuse was "was ill, have Dr's note" and then starts with "F" and you can likely fill in the inferred profanity.

Of course, being "ill" would likely mean that the item would ship out late......not that the other items would be mailed to other winners and yours wasn't sent because he was "ill".
    The seller damns himself with his own replies in the feedback.

Definitely NOT a seller I would deal with...on the board (as he was pointed out) nor on ebay, since his practices are not aboveboard.

• Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    What is the link between this eBay seller and the forum member pointed out?
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the good ol days feebay took reserve fee avoidance very seriously.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ended Ebay auctions (with bids) early several times in the past, but always because I had sold the item here on the BST. Never would I consider ending an auction just to avoid selling the item at too low of a price.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have ended Ebay auctions (with bids) early several times in the past, but always because I had sold the item here on the BST. Never would I consider ending an auction just to avoid selling the item at too low of a price. >>

Well, as a seller, you don't OWE anyone a rip. The chitty part about eBay is that the best way/s [reserve or high start price] to protect your interest/s aren't the best way/s to sell there.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no problem with the seller wanting a certain price for a coin. After all he owns it.

Just start it out there or use the BIN option.

You shouldn't be able to just end an auction.

JMHO!!! >>

Well, it's been relisted. Put your high bid in then email the seller letting him know what your max is. If the two of you agree, it'll be your's. image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sick seller. Gets sick and claims he can't complete the sale per his feedback as previously mentioned.
    Does not believe in the auction process. Should just do reserve sales or BIN's.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    It's legal as long as eBay lets him do it (i.e. not within 24 hours of end if bids on it???).

Ethical? Not really.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sick seller. Gets sick and claims he can't complete the sale per his feedback as previously mentioned. >>

Maybe someone should win a few of his auctions and then tell him that they are too sick to pay for them.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>It's legal as long as eBay lets him do it (i.e. not within 24 hours of end if bids on it???).

Ethical? Not really. >>

12 hours folks. 12 hours.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sick seller. Gets sick and claims he can't complete the sale per his feedback as previously mentioned. >>

Maybe someone should win a few of his auctions and then tell him that they are too sick to pay for them.image >>

For a couple of weeks.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file