Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1987 Topps Variations

I have recently been sorting through my older cards after purchasing Donovan's book and starting giving these cards a closer look. I wanted to share a handful of what I have pulled and wanted to get opinions on if these would be considered variations or printing flaws. Some of these are very minor and some are not.

I am aware of the TBTC variations with the yellow/white year however I have a few other versions of the card as well. The Yaz, Willis, Jackson and Henderson can be found all with a white line above the T in Turn at the top and the black shadow of the card is gray.

imageimageimageimage

Now the TBTC Clemente can be found with the same variation however his name is also highlighted in blue. There is also a break in the upper left hand corner of the card pictured. I haven't found a variation without the break or a version of the white line in the T without the blue highlight in his name.

There seems to be three different variations of the Orioles Leaders card. The first with a large green blotch above Dempsey's head, the second with a smaller green blotch above his head and finally one with the blotch removed. I have the least of the no blotch version.

The rest of the cards that I looked through were the All Star ones. I didn't scan any of the variations of the eagle not being completely filled in on the American league cards however I do have a Mattingly with he eagle not completely filled in without the TM.

Cal Ripken's card can be found both with and without a dark line running up the right side of the card on his jersey.

Both Dave Parker and Tony Bernazard can be found with a red line overlapping the black border of the white and blue star. It may not be apparant in the scan but when looking at the card it can easily be seen.

imageimage

The Fernando Valenzuela card can be found both with a red spot in the upper right hand wood grain border and then with it air brushed over. I do remember looking at other cards from this set and seeing what appeared to be an airbrushing in the wood grain and always wondered if that was covering something up. I believe Curt Young is an example of this but I could be wrong.

I dont know if these would actually be considered variations or there was just a problem with the ink but I have found both Ozzie Smith and Todd Worrell with purple stars instead of the blue star.

imageimage

The next one is very minor but it was on almost all of my cards. I only had a few that did not have it. Mike Schmidt comes with a very small red splotch in the middle of his jersey. It is a bit difficult to see in the scan but again when looking at the actual card it is noticeable.

The last one that I have at the moment is Lance Parrish. The black border that makes up the stars at the bottom is not complete between the white and blue border while his others are. It almost doesn't run straight.

To make the cards easier to find if anyone is interested in looking I have put the numbers and names below for all of the cards above.

#311 Rickey Henderson TBTC
#312 Reggie Jackson TBTC
#313 Roberto Clemente TBTC
#314 Carl Yastrzemski TBTC
#315 Maury Willis TBTC
#506 Orioles Leaders
#597 Mike Schmidt AS
#598 Ozzie Smith AS
#600 Dave Parker AS
#604 Fernando Valenzuela AS
#605 Todd Worrell AS
#607 Tony Bernazard AS
#609 Cal Ripken AS
#613 Lance Parrish AS

Comments

• corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    simply amazing
  • I had enough wax stained 1987 Topps at one point to consider building the entire set with wax stains.

As far as I'm concerned it is all poor printing quality by Topps from about 1985 until 1991, which just happens to be around the time that they cranked open the floodgates of production (thanks Donnie Baseball!). I broke down so much Topps product during those years, every card was different if you stared at them long enough.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I thought you were pointing at Schmidt's junk for a moment
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY