Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Trying my hand at custom cards...

I've been working on putting together a collection of rookie cards for everyone who's ever been an SF Giant (1958 - present). I'm chugging right along on that project, but there are a few guys who never appeared on cardboard. I hate having holes in my collection, so I went hunting for pictures, and decided to make my own cards for the guys. image

Anyways, I just finished my first custom card. 3 guys who's major league careers began and ended in 1970....

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is nice! image

But why not just make regular cards for each of them, in the 1970 design?

Steve
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>But why not just make regular cards for each of them, in the 1970 design? >>

In my search for pictures of these guys, the best images I could find were fairly small portraits. If I tried to blow them up so they'd take up the whole image area on a card, the images would look bad.

• ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Looks great, man! Nice work.

<< <i>If I tried to blow them up so they'd take up the whole image area on a card, the images would look bad. >>

Gotcha!

Good thinkin' image

Steve
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    That's the stuff! Excellent work of reproducing the '70 "look."
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great project!

Superb job! This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back - thanx for sharing.
    Mike
    Just finished another one:

imageimage

Very nice job - especially the back!
    Mike
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Two thumbs up. I like them both.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    These are great. What application are you using to create these masterpieces?

Curious,
    Logan
    New card, another 58 Topps version.

I use Photoshop for these. I scan in a card to use for reference, then reconstruct the layout, figure out fonts, and then look for photos to use. That's the hard part about these cards, the photos of cup-o-coffee major leaguers from 50+ years ago are hard to come by.

For example, this is the BEST photo I could find for John Fitzgerald.

imageimage

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Very creative! You definitely have earned the name "digicat"!! image
  • AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭✭
    you should print these out and send to the guys . I bet they'd get a kick out of it.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • pomobileclkpomobileclk Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    Nice custom cards. Congrats on finding decent photos on those players. I'm sure if you send them to the players, they'll want copies.

Since you are using Photoshop, have you considered adding some color to the black and white photos. These were done quickly in a few minutes.

imageimage
  • WFC2008WFC2008 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Nice job on the cards. I was looking for a little bit of advice or help on something I am working on. I am looking to put together a collection of the opening day lineup for the Phillies from 1975 to current. Nine spots in a line up, nine spots to a page. While most of the cards are available there are some cards prior to the traded sets that were either not made or not made in a Phillies uniform.

With that said, I was curious as to what stock you use to make the card. Also, do you do anything to it to make it look older? The end result of mine makes it look more like a traded/update back than a card from the base set

Below is the only card from the 75 set that wasn't made but played opening day.

imageimage

<< <i> I was curious as to what stock you use to make the card >>

Well, so far I haven't really put much work into turning it into an actual card. I just printed up both sides on semi-gloss stock and cut it out and sleeved it. In a top loader, they look great. image

• << <i>Nice job on the cards. I was looking for a little bit of advice or help on something I am working on. I am looking to put together a collection of the opening day lineup for the Phillies from 1975 to current. Nine spots in a line up, nine spots to a page. While most of the cards are available there are some cards prior to the traded sets that were either not made or not made in a Phillies uniform.

With that said, I was curious as to what stock you use to make the card. Also, do you do anything to it to make it look older? The end result of mine makes it look more like a traded/update back than a card from the base set

Below is the only card from the 75 set that wasn't made but played opening day.

imageimage >>

Last name is misspelled on the back
  • The error is a tribute to the error craze of the 80's and 90's. Wait, that didn't happen yet. Wait, it did happen but not at the time the card was produced. Wait, the card was produced in 2010, so it did happen.
    Nice Bannister!

To convert your images to actual cards, you might consider the "system" I've developed over the past 6-7 years. I print the fronts and backs on "full sheet label" paper. I recommend Avery #8255. The sheets are matte white and made for ink jet printers. I tried to use cheaper lable sheets one time, but they weren't specifically made for color printing and the results were very muddy images.

The Avery #8255 sheets are not cheap -- about $16 for 20 sheets. I get them at OfficeMax because the nearest Staples doesn't carry that particular stock number. You can print eight "modern" size cards per sheet; six of the old Topps format. I print fronts and backs on seperate sheets and then sandwich a piece of cardboard between them before cutting into singles.

I used to use comic book backer boards for the core, but that is really too thick to give the feel of vintage sportscards. Now I go with RoyalBrites posterboard. Sorry, but the "weight" of the cardboard is not listed on the package. My wife got it at Hobby Lobby, but any craft/scrapbooking store should have a good selection.

I use a good, heavy guillotine cutter. Getting the fronts correctly aligned with the backs and cutting to the exact size is a skill that takes a bit of practice. You should work out your technique with plain paper copies until you get the hang of it.

To avoid a "too new" appearance, I never allow any pure white on my images for borders, graphics, etc. I use a slightly off-white color. Similarly, on many of the backs, I don't use pure black, but rather a dark charcoal or other somewhat muted black.

Good luck and keep bringing your custom cards to this forum for all to see and enjoy.

I'm currently finishing up a 1974-style George Brett rookie card. I'll post it here when it's done.
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Last name is misspelled on the back >>

So is "Milwaukee" in the trivia question.

There is also what looks like a pair of balls on the bat knob.

Let the error hype begin!!
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice job, I like'em...image

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

<< <i>

<< <i>Last name is misspelled on the back >>

So is "Milwaukee" in the trivia question.

There is also what looks like a pair of balls on the bat knob.

Let the error hype begin!! >>

"amateur" is also misspelled at the end of the second line in the bottom section of the back.

Looks like you scored a Hat Trick! image

Steve
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭
    very nice work!!!

now you can get them autographed
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Thanks for the tips on the paper stock and for the numerous misspellings on the back. I am so used to the computer just correcting it for me, I forget that doesn't happen in photoshop.

Next will be the 76 Jim Kaat and 77 Ted Sizemore.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Is this April Fools Day or something?

I've pored over the back of the Bannister card, and I can't find one misspelling!?

Meanwhile, all of the posted cards are terrific! Nice job, guys!

<< <i>Is this April Fools Day or something?

I've pored over the back of the Bannister card, and I can't find one misspelling!?

Meanwhile, all of the posted cards are terrific! Nice job, guys! >>

The noted misspellings were there.....the OPer has simply fixed them and posted the corrected version in his photobucket account, thereby changing the posted scan. No problem there.

That is a really nice card of Bannister image

I need to try some of these for the Padres and Chargers! image

Steve
  • Love the 1970 custom Digi. I haven't made any in awhile, here's my most recent.

Ain't it fun to retroactively "scoop" Topps with rookie cards that never were? Nice looking '64.
    WOW.....I LOVE that El Tiante! image

Steve
    Yeah, I just made the corrections and replaced the card on photobucket.

Nice Tiant.
  • Well done.
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
    Finished the 76 Kaat. To reduce the likelihood of spelling mistakes, make the back as realistic as possible and avoid the tedious job of entering all of his career stats, I used the original back and just changed the team name and number.

imageimage
    The image on the Kaat seems distorted.

Yeah, it was a bit distorted. It was difficult to make it fit the limited pictures I could find. I just extended the Wrigley wall and updated it.

Any recommendations on good sites that have decent pictures? Google image search isn't helping much for the older pictures.

<< <i>Any recommendations on good sites that have decent pictures? Google image search isn't helping much for the older pictures. >>

You might want to consider picking up a team yearbook for some scannable pictures.

As promised, here is my 1974-style George Brett rookie card.

The "back story" will be posted on my blog (linked below) today or tomorrow.

I haven't printed the cards yet, but I thought I'd post the images to see if any of the eagle-eyed contributors to this thread spot any errors, etc.

Great job guys!
    Mike
    That '74 Brett looks great! image

Steve
    My latest "never appeared on cardboard" creation:

• mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    Rich

I really like your work on these creations. Keep em coming.

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As promised, here is my 1974-style George Brett rookie card.

The "back story" will be posted on my blog (linked below) today or tomorrow.

I haven't printed the cards yet, but I thought I'd post the images to see if any of the eagle-eyed contributors to this thread spot any errors, etc.

image >>

Very cool Brett!

Now, hurry up and update your blog image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Wow, love the picture you used on the Brett. The card looks fantastic.
    The Wilson pic always bugged me, but I finally found a higher res copy. One of these days I might try to edit out the dude standing behind him.

• you mean like this?

• RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭
    Finally, a '74 Brett!

<< <i>you mean like this? >>

Nice job, but I could do w/o the bunny cloud. image

Is there a quick tool to do that in Photoshop w/o basically hand-tracing?

• << <i>Nice job, but I could do w/o the bunny cloud. image

Is there a quick tool to do that in Photoshop w/o basically hand-tracing? >>

Hey I worked hard on those clouds! LOL

I don't know about photoshop, because I don't have it. I'm still using Aldus Photostyler 2.0 from 1995. I did the whole thing in about 25-30 minutes, pixel by pixel.

If you want to take the clouds out, you should be able to do it by hand in under 3 minutes.