Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Even George V shillings are starting to get expensive

This raw 1921 "hammered" at 226.78. Where are these guys when I list stuff? BTW, the finish on this date is not bright, as least none that I've heard of.

Link
Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are these guys when I list stuff? >>

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840

<< <i> Where are these guys when I list stuff? >>

Busy bidding on whatever im bidding on.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    It looks like that is the S4023, Nose to S variety which lists for 165 Pounds in the current Spink. But you are correct, that is still a lot of money for a raw example that does not look all that attractive in the images.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how rare the variety really is-

trying to get TPG interested in shilling varieties can be fun-imageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    It looks like that is the S4023, Nose to S variety which lists for 165 Pounds in the current Spink. But you are correct, that is still a lot of money for a raw example that does not look all that attractive in the images.

Good point. I didn't check the variety (there are five different ones), and it wasn't a great picture. I'm not sure that the "I" in "GEORGIVS" points to a bead or a space, which would confirm the rarest variety. I was somewhat concerned about its white appearance, since the particular alloy used in that date was fairly dull, almost matte looking.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some pickling of planchets was experimented with in 1921 that would produce a whiter coin - there were some alloy experiments as well, but then nobody would know that of this coin. Also, of course, post strike handling could blanch to some degree (ie lemon juice, etc.).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    It's a 5+E the most common of the series. Also there is an error in spink which has been there for some years. They have the nose to S and nose to SV swapped over making this one 110 UNC. Too much wear and a scratch on GV to be anything like UNC.
    Gary