Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Help Jim (Davilillo) get to set #100

As most of you know, Jim now has 99 sets complete in PSA 8 or better. He has a few sets that need only one more card, but some are going to be real tough. One that should NOT be as tough is the one he needs to complete his 1955 Topps Baseball Set.

All he needs is an upgrade of card #195 Ed Roebuck. It is a pop 31 in psa 8 which should make it findable even though it is a high numbered Dodger.

SOMEBODY HERE MUST HAVE ACCESS TO THIS CARD!!!!!
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Doug -- agree that it would be good to help. Would be helpful if Jim could post a list of sets where he is three or fewer cards away from completion in 8 and above, and maybe if we widen the net that way, it could be easier to help.

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One that should NOT be as tough is the one he needs to complete his 1955 Topps Baseball Set.

I would have to think you are not too familiar with the 55 Topps set. Jim needs # 195, Ed Roebuck to complete his 55 Topps set in all PSA 8 or better and reach 100 sets in PSA 8 +.

Roebuck has and perhaps always will be one of the more difficult cards to obtain in high grade. It is perhaps a $1k card and does not often come up. I suspect with Jim's contacts and associates, he should be able to acquire the card at a more reasonable pace than the regular eBay searcher/collector.

I do wonder why you would think this card is "NOT" tough? It took me close to 1.5 years to get mine and I paid $925 for the card. I, of course wish Jim well, clearly, it's just a matter of time.

• DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Doug,

That is a very nice gesture. As Al points out it is a difficult card. Although pop 31 sounds like a lot it is one of the lowest pops in the set and it is a Dodger. The 1955 Topps set is also extremely popular with both the Clemente and Koufax Rookie Cards. I would fully expect to pay over $1,000 for a psa 8. Sometimes patience is the best strategy

Marc,

Thanks for the offer. here are the 20 sets where I need 3 cards or less.

Baseball

1950 Bowman(2)--Parnell(1), Kazak(36)
    1950 Callahan(1)--Museum Exterior View, Copy Ends Playing Days
    1951 Topps Blue Back-(1)-Waitkus(51)
    1955 Red Man(1)-Runnels(20)
    1955 Topps-(1)-Roebuck(195)
    1960 Leaf-(1)-Donovan(72)
    1964 Topps Stand Up(2)-Hunt, Woodeshick
    1968 Topps 3D(2)-Powell, Flood
    1962 Kahn Animal Crackers-(3)-Milliken, Morgan, Schmid
    1966 East Hills Pirates(2)-Mota(15), Michael(45)

Football:

1948 Bowman(2)-Luhn(9), Garness(90)
    1952 Bowman Small(2)-Cook(87), Benners(90)
    1957 Topps(1)-Checklist
    1960 Fleer(1)-Woodard(84)
    1966 Topps(1)-Checklist (132)
    1963 Topps(2)Ed Brown(122), Steelers Team (133)
    1963 CFL(1) Eagle Day(13)
    1964 Kahn(1)-Clendan Thomas

Basketball--

1961 Essex Meats(2)-Pettit, Green
    1969 Jack in the Box-(2) Barnes, Finkel

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

The Roebuck POP in 8 is 33...the 2 - 8.5s and the 1 - 9 are accounted for in the 55T Registry. Also, a quick count in both the 55T set and the 55T Dodger sets result in at least (didn't scour all sets), 13 Roebuck 8s in these Registry sets. Thus...the best quess on Roebuck 8 availability is 20 or less.

FWIW, I have been swaying back and forth on selling my collection. Should I cross that bridge and I see that you have not yet acquired your Roebuck 8, I will offer you first shot at the card. At least that's something.

Again, congrats on some serious card collecting accomplishments...Happy and safe 4th.

Al
    Thanks Al--although I hope it does not come to that--I don't want to see you sell your set.

Regards,

Jim
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Roebuck is not going to be had for $1000 Jim. That is an expensive 8. You can be patient all you want but unless Steve Novella wants to find you one at a grand that is about the only chance you will have. You would be lucky to land it for $2000 on an open market. Best of luck either way.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
    I think you are wrong Shane. VCP price is around $1,000 and I am not aware of any going for close to $2,000.

I did find a 64 Topps Stand-Up Baldshun in 8 at a lot less than what you thought it would cost me.

Jim
  • 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    That is great Jim. Baldschun is a very tough card and the last PSA 7 sold for stupid money of $1600. I don't know how you got the Baldschun but I gaurantee it was not on Ebay or a live auction.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Only one card away now....pretty impressive.

Perhaps you will honor us with a virtual museum while the physical is being considered (if it still is)?

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
    Shane,

I bought a Baldshun psa 8 in a private transaction from a major dealer for $1,200.

Mark,

Thanks. I am as low-tech as they come. If someone wants to come over to my NJ house to help great.

Jim

• packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shane,

I bought a Baldshun psa 8 in a private transaction from a major dealer for $1,200. >>

Jim , you need to thank Memory Lane for that one. I can't believe they left that card in the near complete set and didn't break it out. That one was a score for the dealer. Gave him the chance for the card to work out for the both of you.
    Perhaps the set started with Memory Lane but I was not aware of their involvement. I bought the card from another dealer who offered me the Baldshun but did not have the other 2 cards I needed(and still need)--the Hunt and the Woodeshick.