Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Help on 1930 Exhibit Amos and Andy cards

I haven't found much info on these cards other than the one complete set listed on ebay with right at 4 days remaining. I have 12(1 color variation) of the set, all are nice VG-EX, one has a name on the back of the card and a few have penciled prices on them but they are otherwise problem-free and crease free. Any additional help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323
    Good Day,
    1930 or so Exhibit Supply Co. set of 16. What more are you looking for? If the ones you saw are the lot being sold by jonsstat...Those are way overpriced, higher prices being paid for most of the Exhibit Supply stuff being sold by him, due to Provenance and a feeding frenzy, and more money than sense. I have a box of those somewhere with 10-15 of those Amos & Andy sets. I wish somebody would pay me $70 a set!!!! With a few exceptions, of course, most 1930-1950 Exhibit Supply cards whatever the subject (Excepting Baseball/Football/A Few Others of course) retail usually for .25 cents to a couple of bucks each at the high end. I sold a few (Amos & Andy) a couple of years ago $20-$30 bucks for complete set of 16 cards, the ones I sold were tru untouched Mint.

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    just trying to gather any additional info that I certainly could have missed. Thank you for the reply Neil.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think the historical significance of these cards would make them more valuable today.

I'd gladly pay a buck each for them.

Heck make that 2.00 each.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Morning,
    To those who have PM'd me and asked for sets, I hope to get to my storage place before the National (Theres something else I want to find to bring), so I will get back to you when I find them. I have two sets called for and I think now that originally I had 10 sets not 15 and sold 4-5 before I gave up. I will keep to Two sets for myself, so that probably only leaves one available. Would you want it when I find them, Steve?
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Neil Yes.

PM sent.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    looks like that ebay set sold for over 100 bucks. If there are any left, I will pay more than 30 bucks for all the Mint sets you have
  • Options
    All seem to be spoken for.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    yeah I know, that's why I said if there are any left, cause it doesn't sound like there is an exact inventory in place with the wording like 10-15 sets, and so on. Others are more than welcomed to make a profit by selling them to me, like you Steve.

I will also offer up to buy any "untouched Mint" sets from the 30's and before of famous Americans, and possibly world famous people, in complete set form for less than $2 a card.

edited to add the $2 a card part
  • Options
    Good Evening,
    To settle concerns, I am pretty sure I have only 5 sets left, actually almost positive. I originally thought I bought 15 sets, but also remember the sum of $300/$30 a set, which of course means I only bought 10 sets. Anybody who has any concerns about my recollection keep in mind I have Bought/Flipped/& Sold Hundreds of Thousands of cards in the last few years, so whatever!! I am keeping Two sets for myself. I have promised the following Board members a set:

1. captainthreeputt
    2. Klif50
    3. Steve..Winpitcher

I will get to my storage place when I get to my storage place. I will sell the sets to the above for the amount of $35 each plus a little shipping as basically promised, irregardless of what that set sold for on E-Bay. That set Sale was an aberration and I wish I did have a couple dozen sets to sell here to be Flipped, whoever bought them would learn quickly the vagaries of E-Bay, one day $30 bucks a set, the next $100, the next $5, especially with Non Sport Oddball stuff.

I will contact all concerned when I have them in hand.

Thank You
    Neil N. Duty
  • Options

<< <i> I will also offer up to buy any "untouched Mint" sets from the 30's and before of famous Americans, and possibly world famous people, in complete set form for less than $2 a card. >>

lol

Now that's funny.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi Neil M. Duty,

If you want to sell your other 2 sets for more, let me know, I will pay more. We can all say things are aberrations, but a bit more research on my part confirms that this is the normal price for these. You seem to be quite aware that the non-sports cards are thinly collected and traded, but saying because one example sells for one price when listed at no reserve one time around on Ebay means very little.

Do you have other sets that meet my requirements to sell me?

I guess I'm glad I could bring the subject up and not get a chance to have a complete set, so congrats to the others who do.
  • Options
    Relax Drew I can live without a set.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    If it means that much to Drew, I can live without a set and you can sell him the one you are holding for me.
    Thanks,
    Cliff
  • Options
    Hey Steve and Cliff, I reread my post and it did sound like sour grapes but I didn't intend it that way. Was just trying to catch an extra set or if someone was going to flip their set real quick. You guys should enjoy your sets, and at $30 in Mint sounds like an incredible price. Sorry it came out that way, you guys did good and I say congrats.
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭
    No problem here. If the sets are found and I get one it's just going in my box of stuff to keep forever. I remember Amos & Andy from the TV show in the 50's and have heard tapes of the radio show from these cards era and I always enjoyed it.
    Cliff
  • Options
    Evening,

I can't believe that I can cause so much Hulabaloo with something I don't even have in my hands yet!!!

Crimany, I wish that I could get a 10th of this hype for some of the stuff I do have for Sale Now!!! Remember: "thedutymon" or "vintagenonsportscardguy" on E-Bay, 600 items for Sale Tonight!!!!!

But just so we have things in perpective...I can tell you that I can see this going South on ME, PERSONALLY, in a Big way. Seems that if I stick with my guns (Which I am going to do) and find and part with them as I have said I will, somebody will be offended !! If I choose to take the road in which I should be going down, which is I am doing this to Make Money to Further my Collecting, I will piss somebody off as well.

I should have just kept my Frickin' mouth shut, found them, and then tried to cash in on jonstats feeding frenzy on E-Bay.

But the cat is out of the bag, so I will do as I have said!

Thanks

Neil
  • Options
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Good Day,
    I went to my storage the weekend before I left for the National and looked through numerous boxes, even one I thought was the one, and not only did not find them, but found no Non Sport stuff at all, so am at a loss for right now.
    Thanks
    Neil
  • Options
    No problem Neil

Did you get my PM?

Also check out the net 54 non sports forum.

Dan has a web page devoted to Target Moon.

You may find the color(s) of the salmon backs interesting.

Steve

Good for you.