Home Precious Metals

The Economist: world debt map

The Economist magazine has a map and a table ranking countries as to sustainability of debt (link).

On the map, the U. K. and Japan are in red. In the table, Spain is in the worst position, followed by Britain and Japan. The U. S. is rank 7th worst behind Greece and Ireland in terms of sustainability of debt.

Those worried about U. S. deficits and debt levels, might watch how events unfold in Britain and Japan to see hints of the American future. The overall debt levels are higher in those countries, with Japan having already lost its AAA rating for sovereign debt.

Comments

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It is both shocking and depressing ,that our Nation, with our wealth of natural resources

Food surpluses, transportation systems, Navigable water ways and educated work force ,finds ourselves

in the financial state we are now in. With the gap between the super wealthy and the poor expanding

to unheard of levels and the once proud middle class being shredded by the loss of their jobs, their homes

their sense of dignity and their retirement dreams.So many of us are still dreaming of the past, while the

nightmare of our future ,is already upon us.At my age, I am saddened at the Nation I will leave behind to my

sons and their families. I pray that they will have the wisdom and the fortitude, to endure and rebuild.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    Cohodk once mentioned that while its true that we have a lot of bedt we also have a lot of assets.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Bear just mentioned a few above.

Three men stand at the edge of a cliff. The first jumps off and goes "splat". The second says "OUCH" and then proceeds to jump off the cliff. Will the third jump as well?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    The UK on the other hand ...

The US can still increase taxes, slap import duties, etc...these would probably bring down our quality of life in some ways but these options at least exist.

Europe already has very high taxes, obsene social programs and a massive amount of young, resentful and unemployed Muslim population.

Japan is slowly becoming irrelevant ...very closed society and also an aging one.

Russia is a one trick pony ...oil ...plus they are just not having kids ...

Brazil has some future ...but then again the same has been said for the last 50 years ...they might just be "future" forever

The middle east ...hmm...yeah

China and India are still a generation away but worth watching.

Canada, Australia , Switzerland...great countries but thats about it .

So basically the US wins by default ...believe or not everyone that matters is worse off than we are.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is both shocking and depressing ,that our Nation, with our wealth of natural resources

Food surpluses, transportation systems, Navigable water ways and educated work force ,finds ourselves

in the financial state we are now in. With the gap between the super wealthy and the poor expanding

to unheard of levels and the once proud middle class being shredded by the loss of their jobs, their homes

their sense of dignity and their retirement dreams.So many of us are still dreaming of the past, while the

nightmare of our future ,is already upon us.At my age, I am saddened at the Nation I will leave behind to my

sons and their families. I pray that they will have the wisdom and the fortitude, to endure and rebuild. >>

Dearest bear,

Current admin wants this scenario......very sad, but true!!!!