Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold and silver trading left out of financial regulatory bill today

I caught the very end of a FOX news discussion on gold and silver trading being exempted from the financial regulation bill passed today in the congress' conference committee. Anyone here catch the full story? Any thoughts on its effect on PM prices?

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    To quote the immortal Turd Ferguson: "Douchebags"
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If today's PM closing prices are any indicator, no effect. Then again, precious metals have de-coupled recently from just about everything except planned take downs.

After a great depression that was caused by problems similar to today's economic debacle, Congress passed the 36 page Glass-Steagal Act that successfully prevented another major economic crisis for over 50 years. Then in 1999 a "purchased" congress and White House administration repealed the Glass-Stegal Act. This allowed banks and investment firms to hop back in bed together and return to their pre-great depression gambling habits. As a side note, the push to repeal Glass-Stegal was led by none other than Washington's Phil Gramm, husband to an auditor at Enron (guess it runs in the family).

Today's new bill is over 2000 pages and doesn't come close to what the 36 page Glass-Stegal Act accomplished. The fact that bank stocks saw great gains today should tell you who the real winner was. Never forget that major bills are really written by lobbyists representing the interests of the very people the bills are supposed to regulate. Money talks, everything else walks.

UPDATE:
    "Under the agreement, reached late Thursday, banks would continue to be allowed to deal interest rate and foreign exchange swaps, "credit derivatives referencing investment-grade entities that are cleared," derivatives referencing gold and silver, and the firms would be allowed to hedge "for the banks' own risk."

Banks would be forced to push out to their affiliates derivatives referencing "cleared and uncleared commodities, energies and metals (with the exception of gold and silver), agriculture, credit derivatives referencing non-investment grade entities and all equities, and any uncleared credit default swaps," Peterson said."

From this commentary

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    So will this give them free reign on selling paper gold & silver with out physical backing?

I'm having trouble with where Banks and wall street separate on the derivatives.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is what it is and the do nothing government. i guess its ok
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If today's PM closing prices are any indicator, no effect. Then again, precious metals have de-coupled recently from just about everything except planned take downs.

After a great depression that was caused by problems similar to today's economic debacle, Congress passed the 36 page Glass-Steagal Act that successfully prevented another major economic crisis for over 50 years. Then in 1999 a "purchased" congress and White House administration repealed the Glass-Stegal Act. This allowed banks and investment firms to hop back in bed together and return to their pre-great depression gambling habits. As a side note, the push to repeal Glass-Stegal was led by none other than Washington's Phil Gramm, husband to an auditor at Enron (guess it runs in the family).

Today's new bill is over 2000 pages and doesn't come close to what the 36 page Glass-Stegal Act accomplished. The fact that bank stocks saw great gains today should tell you who the real winner was. Never forget that major bills are really written by lobbyists representing the interests of the very people the bills are supposed to regulate. Money talks, everything else walks.

UPDATE:
    "Under the agreement, reached late Thursday, banks would continue to be allowed to deal interest rate and foreign exchange swaps, "credit derivatives referencing investment-grade entities that are cleared," derivatives referencing gold and silver, and the firms would be allowed to hedge "for the banks' own risk."

Banks would be forced to push out to their affiliates derivatives referencing "cleared and uncleared commodities, energies and metals (with the exception of gold and silver), agriculture, credit derivatives referencing non-investment grade entities and all equities, and any uncleared credit default swaps," Peterson said."

From this commentary >>

<< <i>"No one will know until this is actually in place how it works. But we believe we've done something that has been needed for a long time."~ Senate Finance Commitee Chair Chris Dodd( D-CT) >>

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

If you want to reign-in derivatives, outlaw vicarious transactions and only trade them on an exchange.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Too big to fail" lives on, at taxpayer expense. And Fannie and Freddie are now the financial pillars of strength and virtue that will carry our economy to new heights. Yeah, the term "douchebags' is too charitable a term for our "lawmakers", imo.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>"Too big to fail" lives on, at taxpayer expense. And Fannie and Freddie are now the financial pillars of strength and virtue that will carry our economy to new heights. Yeah, the term "douchebags' is too charitable a term for our "lawmakers", imo. >>

We the people put them there, so it's up to we the people to remove them.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't blame me. I never voted for Dodddouchebag.

We used to be a bellweather state, but now we are almost as liberal as Massachusetts. Our attroney general lied about serving in Vietnam, but still leads the race to replace Dodd (who is not running) by 20 points.
  • Options

<< <i>Don't blame me. I never voted for Dodddouchebag.

We used to be a bellweather state, but now we are almost as liberal as Massachusetts. Our attroney general lied about serving in Vietnam, but still leads the race to replace Dodd (who is not running) by 20 points. >>

Peter Schiff, a friend of the consumer and enemy of big government, should and will win the election.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So will this give them free reign on selling paper gold & silver with out physical backing?

I'm having trouble with where Banks and wall street separate on the derivatives. >>

That's the way I read it. I think the bill legitimizes the manipulations the banks have been doing with gold and silver to drive down the price. And we thought the short selling and paper games with gold and silver were going to be finally dealt with by the regulators..... lol..... well, I guess they have been. Only instead of slapping their hands and enforcing the laws, looks to me that they might have just changed the law to make the games legal. Got to love it!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Smoke & mirrors to satisfy the masses. The heads keep talking and the sheepie keep eating it up!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options

<< <i>So will this give them free reign on selling paper gold & silver with out physical backing?

I'm having trouble with where Banks and wall street separate on the derivatives. >>

Banks and Wall Street are one and the same. Repeal of Glass-Stegal took care of that.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also a nutmegger and J6P in Connecticut probably sees "gold bug" Schiff as the lunatic fringe. J6P will continue to vote for whoever doles out the most freebies. They don't want anyone who will upset their "free" apple cart.

The CFTC can act independently of the FinReg bill concerning gold and silver trading if they desire. There are already regulations in place to enforce if they so desire. Gold and silver otc derivatives weren't the primary cause of our financial mess, just a small part. Otc interest swaps are the #1 problem because if interest rates are manipulated, then entire economies malinvest their capital. Regardless of any new FinReg bill, or gold/silver derivatives..........gold and silver will find their true market value. The banks can manipulate PM's until the day it no longer works.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>J6P will continue to vote for whoever doles out the most freebies. They don't want anyone who will upset their "free" apple cart.

roadrunner >>

Hey RR, With this statement sounds as if your lumping the American blue collar worker with the welfare crowdimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>"Too big to fail" lives on, at taxpayer expense. And Fannie and Freddie are now the financial pillars of strength and virtue that will carry our economy to new heights. Yeah, the term "douchebags' is too charitable a term for our "lawmakers", imo. >>

Like the fellow said, Too big to fail is over, unless you're too big".
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    After all the "experts" and "Talking Heads" have given us the vast wisdom

of their half vast brains, the World and the Nation still faces a horrendous

financial problem. As usual, the money spent by all of the vested interests

will prevent real progress in solving the problems. These fat cats have bought

some time to line their pockets a little more but, in the end ,all will suffer for it.

Remember how the auto makers fought seat belts, air bags and improved gas

millage,Quality construction, safer car designs .Well ,look at the results

of their lobbying success. GM and Chrysler in virtual

bankruptcy and loss of much of the American Market.When any industry fights against

the long term welfare of the People and the Nation, then that industry will in the end,

suffer for its arrogance.

At some point in the coming disaster, the agents behind our Nations financial demise

must be indicted, tried and incarcerated for a very long time in" HARD TIME PRISONS".

Those greedy, inept and self centered captains of industry must not be allowed to depart

their weakened or destroyed companies with platinum plans that yield them 100 million dollars.

Either we as a people find a way to regain a National sense of right and wrong, appropriate rewards

as well as punishments and return to taking responsibility for our deeds as well as misdeeds,

then we will ultimately go the way of the late lamented Roman Empire.

If at some point, we do not harshly remind our Government Officials, that they are not royalty or for sale to

the highest bidder ,rather then servants of the people, then we are doomed to suffer for our failures to be

careful who we nominate and elect to office.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>After all the "experts" and "Talking Heads" have given us the vast wisdom

of their half vast brains, the World and the Nation still faces a horrendous

financial problem. As usual, the money spent by all of the vested interests

will prevent real progress in solving the problems. These fat cats have bought

some time to line their pockets a little more but, in the end ,all will suffer for it.

Remember how the auto makers fought seat belts, air bags and improved gas

millage,Quality construction, safer car designs .Well ,look at the results

of their lobbying success. GM and Chrysler in virtual

bankruptcy and loss of much of the American Market.When any industry fights against

the long term welfare of the People and the Nation, then that industry will in the end,

suffer for its arrogance.

At some point in the coming disaster, the agents behind our Nations financial demise

must be indicted, tried and incarcerated for a very long time in" HARD TIME PRISONS".

Those greedy, inept and self centered captains of industry must not be allowed to depart

their weakened or destroyed companies with platinum plans that yield them 100 million dollars.

Either we as a people find a way to regain a National sense of right and wrong, appropriate rewards

as well as punishments and return to taking responsibility for our deeds as well as misdeeds,

then we will ultimately go the way of the late lamented Roman Empire.

If at some point, we do not harshly remind our Government Officials, that they are not royalty or for sale to

the highest bidder ,rather then servants of the people, then we are doomed to suffer for our failures to be

careful who we nominate and elect to office. >>

image +1 wise Bear
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey RR, With this statement sounds as if your lumping the American blue collar worker with the welfare crowd

Even J6P & Joe Average White Collar (JAWC) get their share of freebies that they are overly used to. They keep voting for the elected official that brings back the pork to their State or local jurisdiction. But in the end, it all comes back to bite us. It sort of links up with what Bear said above.

GM and other automakers couldn't help but dip into the apparently "easy" money of financing cars and other areas such as mortgages, credit cards, etc. vs. staying with their bread and butter core businesses. In the end, their core businesses become financing with massive leveraged risk applied.....ultimately losing at the game of otc derivatives even though their mathematical models told them what they were doing was safe/AAA.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't blame me. I never voted for Dodddouchebag.

We used to be a bellweather state, but now we are almost as liberal as Massachusetts. Our attroney general lied about serving in Vietnam, but still leads the race to replace Dodd (who is not running) by 20 points. >>

Peter Schiff, a friend of the consumer and enemy of big government, should and will win the election. >>

Well, hope springs eternal, but I'm not holding my breath. I thought Rob Simmons had the best shot at beating Blumenthal, but it looks like Linda McMahon will end up buying the nomiation with her wrestling millions. Blumenthal will probably have to pull a Spitzer to lose.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I have found over the years, that many of the supposed protectors
    of the public welfare are really wolves in sheep's clothing. While they
    shout about the rights of the people, they quietly and cleverly craft
    hidden loopholes ,that will silently negate the very improvements they
    proclaim.In some ways, these sham patriots are even more dangerous
    then the outspoken, bought and paid for officials that speak only for the
    industries that bought them.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage