Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Can you use NGC graded coins for a registry here?

AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
I tried a few months ago, and it seems that only pcgs graded coins are accepted. Is this accurate or am I mistaken?
I currently have my registry with NGC as they accept PCGS graded coins.

AJ
All coins kept in bank vaults.
PCGS Registries
Box of 20
SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!

Comments

• Options
    Nope PCGS only
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    NGC coins are not graded by the same standards that the # 1 grading company in the world uses ;

for example - I broke out a 1949-D NGC MS 65 Franklin and submitted it to PCGS for my free Secure + Member grading .

It did not recieve a plus , in fact it did not grade MS65 ....it is now in a MS 64 FBL PCGS holder .
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt everyone say buy the coin not the holder? Ngc registry accepts PCGS coins, so why cant Pcgs do the same? Frankly, I find it foolish not to.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been discussed and it is just not going to happen.

I agree about buying the coin- always buy the coin- the registery is fun in moderation-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't expect NGC graded coins to be included in the PCGS registry anytime soon. That suits me just fine. NGC in my opinion is just too loose in the gold series I collect.
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps NGC coins of 2009, 2010 and beyond could be included in the PCGS registry. Pops from these years are more similar than previous years. Standards may be getting more similar for these later years.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If you have NCG coins why not simply put them in the NGC registry? They allow the PCGS coins, too. I have some of my sets in both.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845

<< <i>Doesnt everyone say buy the coin not the holder? Ngc registry accepts PCGS coins, so why cant Pcgs do the same? Frankly, I find it foolish not to. >>

I think it's because PCGS doesn't want inferior coins mucking up their registry sets !
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I wish PCGS allowed NGC coins in their registry. It would save me tens-of-thousands of dollars if I could buy NGC in lieu of PCGS!
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unless your name is Eliasberg or Norweb. image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not unless your name is Eliasberg or Norweb. image >>

Hey, they let your 1885 Trade Dollar in (a point lower, though). image
  • Options

It'll NEVER happen. NGC inclusion = less grading fees. Get it? image
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have a crossover service.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not unless your name is Eliasberg or Norweb. image >>

You forgot Markimage
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I wish PCGS allowed NGC coins in their registry. It would save me tens-of-thousands of dollars if I could buy NGC in lieu of PCGS!"

I think this pretty much sums it up.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This has been discussed and it is just not going to happen.

And this is the way it should be image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    In my opinion (and apparently PCGS graders as well) NGC provide inflated grades. My (least) favorite example. I purchased a 1841 Proof Large Cent NGC 65 Red/Brown. Sent it to PCGS for grading. Guess what came back....Proof 63 RB. UGHHHH!!!

To be fair, I think PCGS was a little harsh...and NGC a little optimistic. But in registry sets where hundreds of thousands of dollars are being invested, you'll forgive me if I don't want inferior coins mucking up and invalidity the sets of people who have the patience to collect superior coins.

Perhaps the shallow end of the pool might be more comfortable?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    And so the OP achieved his purpose by posing the question he did as the subject of this post. With almost 4k posts and almost 4 years experience on these boards he received just the kind of answers he would have expected. Steveimage
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The disparity between grading procedures would make a mockery of the PCGS registry - at least for some coin sets.

I once collected CAM/DCAM Jefferson proofs (1950-1964). NGC graded coins get little respect. The entire NGC population is 0.9 points higher than the average grade at PCGS. IMO they are too loose with the CAM and DCAM designations. The market recognizes the difference. Consider the 1957 proof Jefferson. A PCGS PR68CAM will cost you over $1,500 while a NGC PF68CAM can be had for under $300.

• Options
    Same is true for Cam/DCAM Lincolns.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    As everyone says, "Buy the coin not the holder." If you do, I think you can minimize the likelihood of a downgrade if you cross from NGC (or ANACS or anyone else) to PCGS. I think you also improve your chances if you break the coin out of the holder before submitting. This allows the grader to have a better look at the coin. My "crossover" experience over the last few years has been more positive experiences than disappointments. Off the top of my head, I don't recall any downgrades and do relish these buffalo nickel upgrades (after breaking them out of the holders):

1913 D NGC 63 -> raw -> PCGS 64
    1916 D ANACS 61 -> raw -> PCGS 62
    1917 D ANACS VG10 -> raw -> PCGS F12
    1920 D NGC 62 -> raw -> PCGS 63
    1926 S ANACS XF40 -> raw -> PCGS 45

(Note the first three of these were unattributed buffalo varieties)

My luck crossing in the holder has not been as good, but typically yields the same grade and variety attribution.

As always "Buy the coin, not the holder".

Enjoy!

Richard

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    If you want a registry that allows coins graded by PCGS and NGC, it is available: the NGC registry.

The PCGS registry is for PCGS-graded coins only.

Where is the problem?
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Doesnt everyone say buy the coin not the holder? Ngc registry accepts PCGS coins, so why cant Pcgs do the same? Frankly, I find it foolish not to. >>

I think it's because PCGS doesn't want inferior coins mucking up their registry sets ! >>

Since it is all based upon coin number and certification number, it makes complete sense that PCGS will not allow NGC coins into their sets.

The certification number on NGC coins does not cross reference to a "specific" coin number, only the number of coins that were on that specific submission.

Couple that with the fact that PCGS has different standards than NGC (which is apparent in the market) and the disallowing or their coins in the PCGS registry becomes understandable.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it since I can usually pick up NGC coins for close to half what a PCGS coin of the same grade and attribution will go for.

Yes, buy the coin and not the holder but if you want to participate in PCGS's Set registry you'll have to play by their rules or not play at all. (or limit your play to ATS)

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!