Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Less than a week to go!!! 2010 Set Registry Deadline June 30, 2010!!

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just an FYI in case you were planning on adding some new coins or maybe just adding some pics and descriptions to your sets.

I need to add a few pictures of some of my recent purchases to my sets and I'm thinking about adding some more detail to the descriptions which I've been putting off image Good luck!!!!!

From the PCGS website:

"The deadline for the 2010 awards is Wednesday, June 30, 2010. All sets must be registered and updated no later than 5pm EST (2pm PST). Please plan ahead when sending potential set registry coins to PCGS for grading. We do not extend the deadline for any reason."

Comments

• Options
    Also, I was going through the lists of past Registry Award winners as there are many many cool sets that have been featured over the years. One thing I noticed is that the percentage complete which is required to be recognized as one of the Best of the Registry has changed every two years since 2002. To be eligible for a Best of the Registry Award you needed to be #1 in your category and your set had to be at least the following % complete:

50% in 2002-2003
    65% in 2004-2005
    75% in 2006-2007
    85% in 2008-2009
    and now 90% for 2010

Can we expect this to jump to 95% or 100% in 2012??? Also, can anyone who has been involved in the Registry longer than me (2008) shed some light as to why PCGS keeps changing this requirement? I mean if a collector has the current #1 set in a category, but they only have 75% of the set complete, why shouldn't that collector be recognized??
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a couple of coins for sale in anticipation of a last minute push for some sets. I have had a little interest, but I was hoping for a little more. Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they leave it at 90%. It was hard enough getting one of my sets to 90%.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think on some of the bigger sets it is 200 or so coins? Seems like I read that somewhere.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭

<< <i>I think on some of the bigger sets it is 200 or so coins? Seems like I read that somewhere. >>

Perhaps this is what you read:
    "Best of the Registry" Winners
    In addition, in each category the collector ranked number one with at a least 90% completion, or in the case of large set compositions, those sets with 200 or more coins registered in one set, will receive a "Best of the Registry" icon by his or her set listing in the registry. Note that the completion requirement is waived when the judges review sets which contain especially rare coins. ("Best of the Registry" award certificates will be gladly printed and mailed at the winner's request.)

From http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/awards.html

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought I would have a chance in the Everyman's 1/2 cents, but the leader there is making it a tough one. There is no way (aside from spending WAY too much money and just getting coins for the points rather than the right look) to overcome him. I am Hertz to his Avis currently.

Oh well....

Good luck with yours if you are doing it. Your post reminded me I have about 6 new ones to take pics of as I want the entire set to be able to be seen, even if it is #2. I'm trying for consistency in the photographic look as well, unlike some that take any picture they can for a coin and so there are many different photo styles in 1 registry set.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Yeah, I have a couple of images I need to take and put into my sets still. Will definitely do that by Wednesday. I've also been working on write ups for each of my coins sort of off and on for the past few months. Maybe I'll get motivated and get those uploaded by Wednesday too image
  • Options
    Just received my 1927-D AU58+ for my Everyman Peace dollar set. That will put it as the sole numer 1 set. It was not easy trying to find a plus potential coin in a 58 grade to sent in; expecially in a Peace dollar. Very happy.
    "The 2nd Protects the 1st"

Everyman Peace Dollar Set

Recommended Sellers with positive transactions: Coindeuce, Walkerguy21D, Connecticoin (ebay), itsnotjustme, camera28
  • Options
    Congrats on your Peace Dollars image

Way too nice for my taste. imageimage
  • Options
    Got my quarterly special grade back just in time for the deadline so that was nice. I submitted a toned 1909-S $5 Indian in a PCGS OGH MS63. I didn't get an upgrade or a plus (I thought it had a good shot based on eye appeal), but I do feel better about the coin knowing that it passed through the SecurePlus service which reassures me that the toning and luster on the coin is natural and the coin hasn't been doctored to look as great as it does. Here's the pic:

I've updated my 1909 Set and finally have all of the pics and descriptions up. Good luck to everyone!

• Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    Presidential Dollars Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Satin Finish (2007-2016)

There are 48 sets registered and it is a tough set....

I only could put together....
    89.88% of the 168 required.
    (Missed the 90% minimum by 1 coin )

I have lots of very low pop coins but just missed the 90%

....NO 2010 Icon for me.... :-) ......Unless PCGS want to be nice.....

Next year...not a problem since this sets will be over 200 coins....

But if they require 95% next year forget it for anyone getting there in this set...
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim: That issue you have with one of the varieties ... is that the coin that would have brought you to 90%?

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on your Peace Dollars image

Way too nice for my taste. imageimage >>

Awesome low ball set, but way too worn for me. image

Congrats on the HOF award last year.
    "The 2nd Protects the 1st"

Everyman Peace Dollar Set

Recommended Sellers with positive transactions: Coindeuce, Walkerguy21D, Connecticoin (ebay), itsnotjustme, camera28
  • Options

<< <i>Jim: That issue you have with one of the varieties ... is that the coin that would have brought you to 90%?

Wondercoin >>

No.
    It was relisted in my set for a time.
    However without the suspected 6 coins at issue in the set...

I would have been at 95%...

Hopefully, this gets corrected soon.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Jim: That issue you have with one of the varieties ... is that the coin that would have brought you to 90%?

Wondercoin >>

No.
    It was relisted in my set for a time.
    However without the suspected 6 coins at issue in the set...

I would have been at 95%...

Hopefully, this gets corrected soon. >>

Me too but I expect its going to involve more than just delisting the coins.

They were, after, doubled edge lettering and the lettering was in fact overlapped. They just were not the commonly "accepted" Doubled Edge Lettering Overlapped!

I'm also kinda wondering if PCGS is considering this as an actual error since, well, it is an error and if the overlapping is significant enough, I'd be interested. I'm sure others would be as well but what in the heck would you call them? image

And BTW Jim, I expected to get bumped yesterday. What Happened?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

Since PCGS let those "Dbl EDGE" imposters ride for the June 30th deadline...No bump for you!...Or me for that matter.

Today I noticed that the set added a couple more MELS to the set for a total of 170 coins.....(Should be 164 now)....

MELS are tough to argue with. They are true varieties.

I have heard of some that made it into holders that have some edge lettering evident through the holder....

This if found to be true is just laziness in the grading department.
    It is no different then attributing a Friendly Eagle on a IKE dollar that isn't....

Errors Happen.....But Missing Edge & Doubled Edge coins ARE very hard to mis-attribute.

• Options
    I noticed the prices for the MEL coins are missing from the Price Guide today too. Maybe it's just a short-term change??? Or maybe it's only now available to the CoinFacts subscribers???
  • Options

<< <i>I noticed the prices for the MEL coins are missing from the Price Guide today too. Maybe it's just a short-term change??? Or maybe it's only now available to the CoinFacts subscribers??? >>

PCGS is not updating prices very fast.

In Jaime Hernandez' defense..... Lots of varieties are being constantly added. Pretty tough to track all of them.
    Many are priced wrong, since it gets confusing on which is a First Day and Which is a Non-FDI variety

MEL varieties are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
    The issue with varieties is that about 12-24 people care and only a handful really care.

It is a case of supply and demand. They might see their day or maybe they already have.....

I believe the Presidential Dollars will have an increase in their following.
    At least PCGS has helped with so many ways to collect with so many variables in the set compositions.
    From the very simple to the mega sets.

I personally like the First Day of Issue Sets. The coins don't come as fast and furious as the submit anytime you like varieties.
    FDI Pres Dollar Complete Variety set
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim, I was referring to the IKE Dollar Proof collection since there is no way I could be competitive in the Presidential Dollars sets.

My philosophy is that if I don't collect them (Presidential Dollars), then who will? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Lee,

I have a couple of possible contenders but they are still waiting to be sent into PCGS...
    ...But, I don't think they will be 69 grades.....

So you are still King of the IKE Proof Complete set.
    Those IKE Varieties are not that easy to come by.

I liked BJ's comment in the news....

Good luck to all who are in contention.