KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Comments

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good ol' Johnny Pimplebutt image

Steve
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    This thread got room for Brian Fuentes?
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when was the last time a current member of the Red Sox with multiple AS games, a WS ring (that limits it a bunch), and a lifetime ERA of about 2.00 so "popularly-hated"? Never, but PapelBlown deserves it. He's flaming out early.
  • zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    LOL - cool thread
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    There are 25 other teams that wish they had him.

<< <i>There are 25 other teams that wish they had him. >>

I hope that happens
  • jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I suspect this thread will gain some steam today....
    Papelblown has outdone himself now. He is worse than Keith Foulke ever was.
    Stop it
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    2 for 2 he's on a roll!
    ERA is about 4.00 now. That's deserving of $9 million a year, for sure!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Only a career day by Pedroia saved Papelpusses derriere.

Time for Bard and his 2.1 ERA to move in as closer, and for Papelchoke to go away somewhere, maybe DL.

Capecards
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    It's nice to have a closer who keeps his mouth shut and quietly goes about his business.

A closer who comes on and mows down hitters without any demonstrative theatrics.

A closer who, though appearing small in stature, is virtually unhittable at times.

A closer who they wanted to make a starter, but has settled into a dominant beast in the 9th.

A closer who makes fans of the opposing teams say, "F!", when he walks through that bullpen door.

A closer whose best pitch makes batters shake their heads in awe. Usually after they wave at it futilely.

Thank you, Neftali Feliz.

What, you thought I was talking about someone else? image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
    Yea, sounds like Mariano Rivera.
    Capecards
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Kerry Wood and Trevor Hoffman are available.
  • the Sox have their next closer, his name is bard. nuff said.
    traid this turd.

his K's are down, his ERA is UP UP UP.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    but who is going to riverdance?
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Maybe to get some value for the money they spent on him he can help sell peanuts in the early innings. The only problem is that if he throws it to the fan they might hit it out of the ballpark.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

<< <i>Maybe to get some value for the money they spent on him he can help sell peanuts in the early innings. The only problem is that if he throws it to the fan they might hit it out of the ballpark. >>

Ouch
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe to get some value for the money they spent on him he can help sell peanuts in the early innings. The only problem is that if he throws it to the fan they might hit it out of the ballpark. >>

Hey, I like that avatar -- very clever. image
    His heavyweight fight analogy is wearing thin. You can win half the rounds and win a heavyweight fight, but if you blow even one-third of you saves, you're a BUM, especially with a 4+ ERA.

Something could be wrong with his arm -- velocity and command of the fastball is down, and he has no confidence in his breaking pitches. Could be mental as well, though, given how high-strung he is. Regardless, if he continues this performance, this will be the last year he makes $9 million, or even more than $4 million.

Mariano money? Fuggetaboutit!!
    He looked fine tonight
    most relievers have periods, sometimes even a whole year where they don't measure up, with Rivera being one of the exceptions. I'm not a papelbon fan by no means but maybe he is having a bad run that he will recover from....being in Cleveland I'm hoping that Wood is having a similar type problem, but to be honest he has either been hurt or sucked for the most part when not hurt.

<< <i>most relievers have periods, sometimes even a whole year where they don't measure up, with Rivera being one of the exceptions. I'm not a papelbon fan by no means but maybe he is having a bad run that he will recover from....being in Cleveland I'm hoping that Wood is having a similar type problem, but to be honest he has either been hurt or sucked for the most part when not hurt. >>

He probably will, if it is just mental and not physical.
    You can't have Kerry Wood anymore.....he's on a roll....3 in a row......in fact Indians relievers have 4 saves in a row...probably some sort of recordimage just my luck too, they have won 4 in a row and I'm going to the game tomorrow....probably will be the streak killer.
    There should be a thread about Delcarmen and Oki instead of Paplebon.

<< <i>There should be a thread about Delcarmen and Oki instead of Paplebon. >>

I think DelCarmen has an injury. He had been lights out for a while, so something is likely amiss.
    boston.com is now reporting DelCarmen is headed to the DL
    Thought I'd bump this due to his latest heroics.

Yes he got the win, but did HE really?
    I just wanted to highlight this quote:

It was Papelbon who said a couple of weeks ago that it takes a special rookie who can come up and contribute in a race. "Someone like me,'' Papelbon said boldly.

From this article:

Papelsuck on Rookies
    Make it 6 on the season!
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I heard that he had an excuse that he was tired before he even got into the game.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars

<< <i>I heard that he had an excuse that he sucks. >>

I heard the same thing
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Bring him to Detroit with PAPAGRANDE having only 1 more year as our closer he could be gone after next year.He could be a setup guy for 1 year.Every top closer has his down times.Johnathon is still young enough to end up with a great career.Big Jenks at Chicago is also adding fuels to fires this year.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
    He's a decent closer, but not a dominating closer.

That's not good enough in the AL east.

Those 6 blown saves are the difference between first place and third place right now.
    Capecards
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    We'll trade for Francisco Corturdo.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Upon further review, I'd love a trade.

Reliever Saves Blown Saves WHIP ERA Salary

Papelbon 29 6 1.15 3.26 9.3 mil
    Cordero 30 6 1.52 4.03 12 mil

Makes Papelbon look like an All-Star. And the Reds are one back in the division.
  • both papsmear and suckdero arent worth they money they are getting this year. cheaper, better options are on the way no doubt.

closers are a dime a dozen, every year a new guy emerges, or an old one gets his stuff back.
    Pitchers__________IP__H__R__ER__BB__SO__HR__PC-ST___ERA
    J Papelbon (S, 30)__1.0_0__0___0___0___3___0___14-11___3.14

Not a bad outing, but in my opinion he's still in the dog house.

1 good outing doesn't make up for the season he's wasted.

<< <i>He's a decent closer, but not a dominating closer.

That's not good enough in the AL east.

Those 6 blown saves are the difference between first place and third place right now. >>

That was the best inning he has had in a long time. He had a ton of movement on his fastball and the command was there.
    Sorry, I forgot to bump this thread the other night when he blew #7.

I'd be very surprised to see him in that uniform much longer...
  • Out of curiosity, and I'm not a Sox fan, which players from the last two WS winning teams would you have the Sox retire their numbers? Granted Pabelbon is blowing saves this year, but he was an integral part of their last title. And I recall how Foulke was run out of town even though he probably blew his arm out helping them break the curse. Ortiz has the taint; Manny, Damon, Pedro all left the team. Varitek and Wakefield? I don't know if they really have the numbers....
    I don't think I would retire the numbers of anyone from the two WS winning teams. Players (with an exception or two made and likely to be made) need to be in the HOF in addition to being adored by RSN. Ortiz is adored (from June through October), but he's no HOF'er.
    Schilling's 38 will get retired automatically if he makes the HOF, and probably should even if he does not.
    There is actually criteria for retiring Red Sox players numbers:

Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame
    At least 10 years played with the Red Sox

They are very strict with this.

Case in point: Jim Rice

<< <i>There is actually criteria for retiring Red Sox players numbers:

Election to the National Baseball Hall of Fame
    At least 10 years played with the Red Sox

They are very strict with this.

Case in point: Jim Rice >>

Well, they broke the rules with Johnny Pesky (no national HOF), so I think they may with Schilling as well, especially if he gets in the HOF.
    Who-hoo!! Gave up only 1 run in his last save! image
    will he end up the year with an ERA below 4.00? 3.94 right now. He gets something like ten million, right? image
    League leading 8th BSV. image

Could have made the Yankees sweat this week, but NOOooooooooo!!
    Nah Nah Nah Nah

Nah Nah Nah Nah

Hey -ey -ey

Goodbye!

(At least he better be)