Home Precious Metals

Kramer of CNBC recommending gold

Jim Kramer on CNBC is now recommending gold as part of your portfolio, and he say the best way to hold it is in metal form. I have long thought that if the guy on the street decides that gold is the place to be, it could send the price skyrocketing. Any thoughts? Or if it becomes the "conventional wisdom" to hold gold, is it time to think about a price to get out at?

Comments

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Cramer said that last fall 2009 on Regis & Kelly.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Oh oh........

Time for all of you to sell your physical gold. image Kramer is the "kiss of death". He has been wrong on some of his calls.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it becomes conventional wisdom to own gold you can expect the price to rise with demand.

Will holding gold ever become conventional wisdom? I think not. For every Kramer (or is it Cramer? - I never watch CNBC) you have a greek chorus of gold bashing sirens whining about gold being either a bubble, oversold, risky scheme, etc.) The guy on the street either cannot decide or may not have the cash to spend on gold.

If the price of gold surges high enough it may be wise to sell some or all if (1) you believe you can buy back the ounces later at a lower price or (2) you can use the money to pay for other tangible assets like a debt free home.

Even if gold became a bubble I would not sell my holdings since gold would have to crash hard to drop below my average cost.
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

For every Kramer (or is it Cramer? - I never watch CNBC) you have a greek chorus of gold bashing sirehard to drop below my average cost.

It is "Cramer," I don't have a tv and listen on the satelite radio, I don't know that I had ever seen his name written before. I have wondered what his stock picking record is, I am reminded of Louis Ruykeyser, who's actual record was less than stellar, and his "elves index" which he finally discontinued after they totally missed some market trends.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    He's made this recommendation off and on since 2006.
    Cramer, makes good TV unlike most wall street types. I compare them all to the tip forms for sale at the horse track.image

At least I can get his for free!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

If you believe fiat currency is temporary (it always has been in history) and that King Dollar in current form is doomed (and it is), then Gold (and silver) and only Gold will protect you when it does fall. In other
    words, it cannot be in a bubble and will only rise while fiat currencies fall.

Cramer got this one right.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cramer has recommended some gold in a portfolio before, but he never bumps the percentage very high, more as a hedge than anything else. Did any commentary accompany his recommendation as to why he thinks that gold is a good idea at this time?

I never know what to think about Cramer although he has always been entertaining and he does show prodigious knowledge of stocks from his constant immersion in the stock market. Although he advocates for the little guy, he's been a high-flying Wall Street insider for many years, so I always have to take him with a grain of salt, thinking that he'll never get away from his previous biases. He does know the interconnecting workings of the financial markets, and he's worth taking in as a source, but not necessarily as an authority.

His record used to be reasonably good a few years ago when I listened to him more often than I do now, but he will miss a few as well.

I don't know how much impact a Cramer call on gold will have on the gold market, my guess is "not much". Beyond that, I'm not sure how nervous I'd get even if everyone around me was buying gold at this point, because I am more focused on the fundamentals of the economic and monetary situations as a driver of gold and precious metals prices. I'm a true believer - not that gold will go to the moon, and not that gold is the only true money, but that gold is the least dangerous place to be right now (and silver and platinum too). I just think that things are too unstable, but maybe it's just my age.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If the price of gold surges high enough it may be wise to sell some or all if (1) you believe you can buy back the ounces later at a lower price or (2) you can use the money to pay for other tangible assets like a debt free home.

>>

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cramer has recommended some gold in a portfolio before, but he never bumps the percentage very high, more as a hedge than anything else. Did any commentary accompany his recommendation as to why he thinks that gold is a good idea at this time?

I never know what to think about Cramer although he has always been entertaining and he does show prodigious knowledge of stocks from his constant immersion in the stock market. Although he advocates for the little guy, he's been a high-flying Wall Street insider for many years, so I always have to take him with a grain of salt, thinking that he'll never get away from his previous biases. He does know the interconnecting workings of the financial markets, and he's worth taking in as a source, but not necessarily as an authority.

His record used to be reasonably good a few years ago when I listened to him more often than I do now, but he will miss a few as well.

I don't know how much impact a Cramer call on gold will have on the gold market, my guess is "not much". Beyond that, I'm not sure how nervous I'd get even if everyone around me was buying gold at this point, because I am more focused on the fundamentals of the economic and monetary situations as a driver of gold and precious metals prices. I'm a true believer - not that gold will go to the moon, and not that gold is the only true money, but that gold is the least dangerous place to be right now (and silver and platinum too). I just think that things are too unstable, but maybe it's just my age. >>

Well said!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cramer worked for Goldman Sachs to. Use your judgement
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do people still follow Cramer's advice?
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cramer has recommended some gold in a portfolio before, but he never bumps the percentage very high, more as a hedge than anything else. Did any commentary accompany his recommendation as to why he thinks that gold is a good idea at this time?

I don't know how much impact a Cramer call on gold will have on the gold market, my guess is "not much". Beyond that, I'm not sure how nervous I'd get even if everyone around me was buying gold at this point, because I am more focused on the fundamentals of the economic and monetary situations as a driver of gold and precious metals prices. I'm a true believer - not that gold will go to the moon, and not that gold is the only true money, but that gold is the least dangerous place to be right now (and silver and platinum too). I just think that things are too unstable, but maybe it's just my age. >>

...comrade, maybe not the moon but at least $8k! image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kramer's recommendation?
    I'm waiting for either George or Elaine to speak up.

peacockcoins

<< <i>Kramer's recommendation?
    I'm waiting for either George or Ellan to speak up. >>

Why would you need anyone to tell you to by gold?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still trying to figure out how to spell "boo-ya." image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486

<< <i>I'm still trying to figure out how to spell "boo-ya." image

roadrunner >>

• mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

<< <i>

<< <i>Kramer's recommendation?
    I'm waiting for either George or Ellan to speak up. >>

Why would you need anyone to tell you to by gold? >>

I agree.Its really a personal decision.No one knows for sure where its going.For me with almost no gold to speak of,I have bought more gold than I would have imagined in years past.But thats just me.i have a bit of disposable income now so I am not using the rent money.I think that everyone who can should have at least a little gold.

Recent things I have read indicate that most of the population dont own gold.I wonder if its due to a fear of spending1250.00or more an ounce or is it the tight economy??
    Any thoughts on that?
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kramer is a fool.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I have wondered what his stock picking record is,

Bankrupt twice that I know of. There's a reason he's an entertainer on TV.

<< <i> I have wondered what his stock picking record is,

Bankrupt twice that I know of. There's a reason he's an entertainer on TV. >>

Good TV & $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ bills!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    Cramer has never filed for bankruptcy.

<< <i>Kramer is a fool. >>

He graduated magna cum laude with a BA from Harvard then later earned a JD from Harvard Law School.
    Yeah, what a dummy.

His hedge fund had one down year during the time that he ran it (1988-2000) and his performance via his charitable trust is published for anyone to see.
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Cramer has never filed for bankruptcy.

<< Kramer is a fool. >>

He graduated magna cum laude with a BA from Harvard then later earned a JD from Harvard Law School.
    Yeah, what a dummy.

His hedge fund had one down year during the time that he ran it (1988-2000) and his performance via his charitable trust is published for anyone to see.

I agree, he had a great talent for picking stocks in those twelve years. He got out when he did because he wanted to enjoy the resy of his life. I doubt if he NEEDS the TV show.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • I agree that the common public at large does not own gold, probably due to the $1250 per ounce price tag. Which is not really a bad thing for us, so if anything bad really does happen we will be just that much better off.image
    Currently Working on:
    U.S. Type Set
    Classic Silver Commemoratives
    Modern Commemorative 50c, $1 sivler
    Modern Gold Commemoratives