Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Thoughts on Scrapping 1941 Play Ball in Favor of 1941 Double Play

I've gotten a modest start on a mid-grade 1941 Play Ball set, but am not enjoying it too much. I generally like photos more than the drawings on the Play Ball cards, but on the other hand prefer more information about the player (Double Play cards are blank-backed and just have the most basic information about the player on the front).

Also, can anyone speak to the difficulty of putting together the Double Play set? It seems like in general there is lower supply and lower demand, resulting in similar prices for commons, but it also looks like key cards in the Double Play set tend to go for less than key cards in the Play Ball set. Finally, any thoughts on Double Play cards retaining their value? I don't collect for investment purposes, but it's also important to me that my collection doesn't lose significant value over the long run.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Brad

Edited to add: I really want to collect a set from this era, (1939-1941, I guess, because there were so few sets produced during the war). Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Brad,
    A friend of mine has been collecting the 1941 Double Play set over the past six years. He has found that the set is not expensive and not difficult to find to complete a set in PSA 5 or lower, however the set has been a challange to upgrade to a PSA 7 or higher level. Not many cards show up on Ebay at this level and when they do there seems to be pretty aggressive bidding. If your plan is to make a PSA 5 level you should have no problem in making the set for a nice return on your money.

Best of luck with it.
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy the 1941 Double Play set -- as Shane mentioned, unless your friend is a specific condition aficionado, I'd recommend going forward.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.