Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

7 new varieties plus two upgrades for my Buffalo variety set

This is my "other" submission which posted Thursday. All nine coins were submitted raw. All except the 1936-d were purchased raw. The 36-d was purchased in an NGC 65 holder and broken out before submission.

1917-d FS-401 2F, XF40. image New pop top. Fourth graded by PCGS. Note the lack of the small feather behind the Indian's neck.
imageimage

1919 FS-401 2F, F15. Third graded by PCGS. Note the missing feather.
imageimage

1930 FS-101 DDO, XF45. Seventh graded. I thought this was at least AU50, but with it back in hand, XF45 also is reasonable. Note the eye lid, nostril, date and eastern edge of the long feather.
imageimage

1930 FS-802 DDR-2, VF20. Second graded. A bit nicer than I had expected. Note west of the PL of Pluribus and U of Unum.
imageimage

1930-s FS-401 2F, VF35. Third graded. Note the missing feather.
imageimage

1930-s FS-501 RPM-2, XF45. I thought this was a little nicer. Fourth graded and tied with one other as pop top. Note the east side of the mint mark.
imageimage

1935 FS-803 DDR-3, VF25. The obverse and reverse of this coin grade differently. They chose the good/right side image The second one graded by PCGS. Note FIVE CENTS, particularly the eastern edge of the V.
imageimage

1935-s FS-801 DDR, XF40. Eighth graded and a really nice double die. Note south of the PL of Pluribus and U of Unum plus the E's in FIVE CENTS.
imageimage

1936-d FS-502 RPM-2, MS-65. Sixteenth graded and I thought it could have received a 66. Note the west side of the mint mark.
imageimage

Enjoy! Richard

My Complete Variety Buffalo Nickel set Now 91.45% complete image

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a lot of new toys. Congrats!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some mightee-fine Cherrypickin' going on there! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Nice set!
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice additions. I am going to have to go out and look at the whole set.

WOW, I just looked at the WHOLE set. Didn't know there were so many varieties.

A lot of years have the 2 feathers thing going on.

Very neat and a great collection you have there.

I am trying to get them (PCGS) to add coins to the dime sets.

There are a lot of neat varieties not in there sets.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting these. Makes me want to go through my whole Buffalo set.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Thank you. Yes, a lot of toys. I only submit once a quarter so I get lots of toys back from PCGS at once. Except for trades and purchases of attributed coins, this is it until next quarter.

Speaking of trades, I just added one more coin to my set, a 1915 2F, PCGS VF35. A total of 5 graded by PCGS.
    imageimage

This completes my Two Feather set. image

My Complete Variety Buffalo Nickel set is now 92.31% complete. Of the 9 varieties I do not have, two are expensive but available (1916 ddo: pop 142, 1914/3 ddo: pop 73). The other 7 have pops at PCGS of 4, 3, 2, 2, 0, 0, and 0. I better get hunting image

<< <i>breakdown: Makes me want to go through my whole Buffalo set. >>

Yes, cherrypicking yourself is quite a thrill. I didn't find any CPG recognized varieties, but I did find a 1916-s No F, a 1934-d/d rpm-1, and a 1937-d/d/d rpm-5. I also discovered an unlisted (in CPG or the Authoritative Reference) 1927-d/d/d (east and west) and a 1935 ddr (on FIVE CENTS). A real thrill image

Enjoy!

Richard
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    117 Coins in the Complete Variety Buffalo Set....14 more than Merc Dime Complete Variety Set. That's a lot of fun work.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile: