Home Sports Talk
Options

Cheers or jeers for Manny this weekend in Boston?

Will he be remembered as someone who helped them win a world series, or the disgruntled player who
wanted out of bean town?

Comments

• Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    My guess is the boo-birds will be out in full force.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Unfortunately, I think the jeers will win out. The way he left town almost ruined all the good things he did on the field. And that was no small task, because on the field he was spectacular. He may get cheers at some point down the road from the Fenway faithful, but not now.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Being a Dodgers fan I watch enough games to know Manny will get boos throughout the series...Plus you can expect lots of Manny signs in the crowd, especially the left field side......Wait, hopefully Manny will be DH this weekend. image
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sox fans have long memories but are also very forgiving. Even Johnny Demon got plenty of cheers, despite the fact that he went back on his word and signed with the Evil Empire. Manny will get plenty of cheers. He's an easy guy to hate and like at the same time.
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Manny will hear more boos than cheers. At the end Manny became a cancer to the team, not only causing problems in the dugout, but on the field as well. He chose to become a pariah and will be remembered as such, regardless of his performance in the 2004 WS victory. Manny became an egomaniac and basically thought he could get away with anything...remember when he was called upon to pinch hit and he stood there and took 3 strikes...and how he just casually trotted to first base on another occasion. Manny being Manny got very, very old, I'm glad they got rid of him, and would say so about ANY ballplayer who failed to respect his teammates and fans, not to mention what he musth've put management through.

Damon OTOH made the mistake of saying he'd never play for the Yankees, and boom, there he was. Had he just shut his mouth and left on a high note, he would have heard less boos, but boos nonetheless. Nomar was traded by Theo and gets a pass, even though he made a huge salary demand.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget that he has not talked too fondly of Boston and his time here since he left. Honestly, we won when he was here and we will still win.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    At least there will be no debate as to what hat will wear on his hall of fame plaque-----none. Given the steroid suspension he has no chance at the hall of fame period. The voters will practically shut him out. He will care less as he's made his millions.
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496
    Half and half. I'd consider it a success if I was Manny.
  • Options
    I think a different 35k fans may have treated him a bit more harshly...I'd say it was about 50-50. He was a key player and MVP of the '04 WS win, hard to compare that to his antics near the end.

So, what's with Clemens in the Monstah seats?
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭
    Boo's are always louder than cheers (people clapping) so it may seem that he was unwelcomed, but remember Sox fans, we wouldn't have two (2) rings if he wasn't there. Yes, he quit on the team, I don't support or condone that, but I also have to remember what he brought to the table for 8 ( or should I say 7.5) years. I would have cheered for him.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to the game today, I'll be standing and cheering.
  • Options
    WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,444 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm going to the game today, I'll be standing and cheering. >>

How was the laser show in the bottom of the 9th? Awesome!!
  • Options
    I kinda monitored the Phillies-Twins game, hoping they'd at least do a break away or two, especially when it was 4-4. I "watched" the game on my PC and could just imagine how crazy the fans went when Pedroia hit the walk-off. Not even after the game ended did Karros and Albert mention the score. Twinkies in a massive comeback to slam the Phillies.
  • Options
    <<<How was the laser show in the bottom of the 9th? Awesome!! >>>

Pretty cool, especially since there were so many Dodgers fans there. Mixed reaction for Manny again, probably 50/50.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Half and half. I'd consider it a success if I was Manny. >>

I think half and half also.

Also, the way Red Sox fans act about Manny is at best laughable. Manny won you guys two World Series and to blame him for everything that went wrong is like re-writing history.

The Red Sox may be the only team in history, whose upper management likes to repeatedly take pop shots at players it is paying in press, but Manny isn't the only player they have done that to.

I am not sure I would behaved much different then Manny as well. If you make it clear you don't want me here, bash me in the press daily, replay my follies on the home jumbo tron repeatedly, create this media circus around me....I'm likely not putting much effort into anything.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

Also, the way Red Sox fans act about Manny is at best laughable. Manny won you guys two World Series and to blame him for everything that went wrong is like re-writing history.

The Red Sox may be the only team in history, whose upper management likes to repeatedly take pop shots at players it is paying in press, but Manny isn't the only player they have done that to.

I am not sure I would behaved much different then Manny as well. If you make it clear you don't want me here, bash me in the press daily, replay my follies on the home jumbo tron repeatedly, create this media circus around me....I'm likely not putting much effort into anything. >>

I agree. I'm sure the Boston fans are only seeing one side of the story. All I gotta say is if Manny wasn't in Boston during those years they don't even sniff a World Series. The Boston fans don't have to love Manny, but a little appreciation for he did would be nice.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I am not sure I would behaved much different then Manny as well. If you make it clear you don't want me here, bash me in the press daily, replay my follies on the home jumbo tron repeatedly, create this media circus around me....I'm likely not putting much effort into anything. >>

I agree. I'm sure the Boston fans are only seeing one side of the story. All I gotta say is if Manny wasn't in Boston during those years they don't even sniff a World Series. The Boston fans don't have to love Manny, but a little appreciation for he did would be nice. >>

Great, we are now getting a lecture on how to act towards former players. This is more about what he has said since he has left than what he did during his time here. His reception that he received was not that bad, 50/50 boos and cheers. Honestly, he really did not get much of a reaction after his first at bat. I don't think it was that big of a deal. There is more attention being placed on how well the Sox are playing. That goes for the way that they have tooled on the NL. You should be more worried about the Dodgers than how the Sox react to Mannywood. Look back at the way Pedro and Nomar were cheered when they came back.
  • Options
    <<<The Red Sox may be the only team in history, whose upper management likes to repeatedly take pop shots at players it is paying in press, but Manny isn't the only player they have done that to. >>>

That is the Sox' M.O. They bash the player to get the fans on their side for when they refuse to spend the money to sign the guy. Jason Bay was bashed all winter long, after it was apparent the Sox weren't going to sign him. Bay might be the most professional/stand up guy the Sox have had in the last 5 years, and even he couldn't escape it.

It's laughable that Sox fans take it personally about how Manny acted towards the end of his Red Sox tenure. He is the first guy from the 2004 World Series team that has come back to anything less than a 100% positive reaction. Even Johnny Damon got a standing O in his first series back with the Yankees (and then we booed him every chance we got after that).

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Great, we are now getting a lecture on how to act towards former players. This is more about what he has said since he has left than what he did during his time here. His reception that he received was not that bad, 50/50 boos and cheers. Honestly, he really did not get much of a reaction after his first at bat. I don't think it was that big of a deal. There is more attention being placed on how well the Sox are playing. That goes for the way that they have tooled on the NL. You should be more worried about the Dodgers than how the Sox react to Mannywood. Look back at the way Pedro and Nomar were cheered when they came back.

I don't think bman was "lecturing" but rather giving his opinion in a thread. The thread is about Cheers or jeers for Manny and Bman made a relevant comment about the subject. I think his comment was very relevant and on point. Yours not so much. By the way, I am not lecturing. Just giving my perspective. Maybe I am just feeling bad as a Dodger fan after that weekend. image
  • Options

<< <i>Great, we are now getting a lecture on how to act towards former players. This is more about what he has said since he has left than what he did during his time here. His reception that he received was not that bad, 50/50 boos and cheers. Honestly, he really did not get much of a reaction after his first at bat. I don't think it was that big of a deal. There is more attention being placed on how well the Sox are playing. That goes for the way that they have tooled on the NL. You should be more worried about the Dodgers than how the Sox react to Mannywood. Look back at the way Pedro and Nomar were cheered when they came back.

I don't think bman was "lecturing" but rather giving his opinion in a thread. The thread is about Cheers or jeers for Manny and Bman made a relevant comment about the subject. I think his comment was very relevant and on point. Yours not so much. By the way, I am not lecturing. Just giving my perspective. Maybe I am just feeling bad as a Dodger fan after that weekend. image >>

Thanks, it was just my opinion. I don't care how the Boston fans act towards Manny.

On another note....

My wife's friend was at the game Sunday wearing her Dodgers hat and jersey and she said the Boston fans were talking smack about "Sweep, Sweep, Sweep" and she told them that's OK and if they remember who won GAME 7 the Other night. ..They had no comebacks...LMAO

I wish the Dodgers would get a few more timely hits because they really could have taken a game or 2 from Boston.
  • Options
    Congrats on winning the NBA Championship and your friends comeback after being swept this weekend. Also, you needed more than a few timely hits this weekend to take one game nevermind two of them. I will be very happy if we meet up again in October for something bigger.